Yellow | Estes.... the new Yellow ?

wow...definitely an eye opener. i guess this was all part of their plan. hopefully you guys move into Maspeth soon. it's an eye sore right now
B/4 they move in they would remodel it- they are big on making sure the office is completely redone, concrete pads replaced if needed and yard paved. Dock lighting completely redone.

Working here and seeing the way the hiring process is (and the crippled people they hire…) I don’t think they’re discriminating at all. They post jobs and sometimes they just want applications on file for a future need. Sometimes they anticipate a need and when the time comes to interview, the determination is made to pause hiring.
I know at my terminal they talked about adding 15 city drivers “as soon as yellow goes out.” Well, we got a big spike in business and then things leveled off a bit. Now they’ve decided to not hire anyone just yet (and we’re working extra) while they see what levels they’re expecting.

They definitely don’t discriminate on age or ability. If you can get a DOT card you’re in. We have several old crippled new drivers and they don’t expect them to work the dock either. Hell they hired a 60+ year old guy who has 1 leg in the past couple of years.

And yes we hire ex-union drivers.
Same where i work. They are working pretty much everbody an extra day per month or so until they see whats going to happen. I do wish the best for these folks that lost their jobs. Ive been there and its very stressing to have have to start over.

If you remember back in that first debacle when yellow and roadway merged. The sold and leased back a lot of its terminals to Estes. I guess they will get the rest of them and be the next mega carrier on the block
I just hope it dont change how they are run. Its a great company now, but ive seen O.D at one time years ago was a great company then they changed and started nit picking everything. Running people off and firing others for the least little thing.

Alllll of that post is 100% false. I’ve been with Estes for 15 years. We’ve hired 4 Yellow employees just in the past 2 weeks. No they’re not just handing people jobs- They’re careful who they hire like they always have…Estes has always been that way. One reason why they’re so successful. But to say they’re not hiring Yellow or union workers is just ignorant
33 yrs at Holland. I applied at Estes 3 weeks before Yellow closed the doors. My hire date at Estes is the day after Yellow closed. Great company, great people. They hire Yellow drivers.

Edit: think I messed up my math don't quote me I'll revisit this after I get some sleep 😪

Well for drivers they did advertise no working the dock... Least I seen that being advertised before we went under not sure if all those positions got filled or not. But far as pay and health insurance comparison I believe ours the company paid 30 thousand a driver. Once you factor in higher cents per mile and increase in speed their trucks go my math shows me you would have a $44,343 more earning potential a year over yellow. So in theory you could afford the same healthcare you had at yellow... Not sure how Estes works but I know some places you can choose the level of coverage you want.
You have to also figure, the healthcare at Estes and other non-unions might not be top tier, but it isn’t cheap either, they’re contributing 10-15k per employee towards your insurance, the 80-90 bucks or whatever the employee has to pay a week is a drop in the bucket compared to the employers portion of the premium.

Does the IBT ever organize another freight company again? Why not start at Estes?
It will never happen at Estes. Union talk once at a terminal and they closed the doors on that terminal and fired everybody there. Estes is doing good and treats their workers good so no need for a Union.

You think that nonunion guys at a family owned business are gonna want to organize after watching O'Brien appear to be very happy about taking Yellow to the end?.Good luck on that
Well they need to start somewhere and bring the union back to where it started on the backs of driver's and warehouse workers. If not there then where?