FedEx Freight | Fed Ex Laying Drivers Off Before Part Timers??

Salty? Hardly. Red Classic? What's that? As my friend AFlifer says, go fish.

Easy to provide what some might consider a condescending response when one is accused of being something they don't feel they are, huh? Good to see that you observed the thread quietly for a whole 24 hours or so though.

Last edited:
Easy to provide what some might consider a condescending response when one is accused of being something they don't feel they are, huh? Good to see that you observed the thread quietly for a whole 24 hours or so though.

Pretty sure you have admitted to being in management in the past, how far up who knows why be secretive about it? Just will never understand, I won't tell Fred I promise. :busted::couch:

Honestly, nobody knows.

From what I understand, furlough is by job class and layoffs are by company seniority. Layoffs would depend on how many people you have under you, not how long you've been with company.

Speculation on my part. If a senior driver agrees to furlough, they would be called back before layoffs and then layoffs would commence.
furlough is NOT by job class. it is by company hire date of senoirity per job class meaning every department will be affected and the junior man or woman based on company senoirity will be furloughed unless a senior guy or gal volunteers first. there is a very good chance you will NOT be called back cause i dont see freight get any better anytime soon cause it wasnt that great before the virus. I wouldnt volunteer at all unless i had 4mos to go cause after the 4mos. you will be paying cobra insurance and that ***** expensive especially for a family let alonwe single coverage..

Pretty sure you have admitted to being in management in the past, how far up who knows why be secretive about it? Just will never understand, I won't tell Fred I promise. :busted::couch:

Done a lot of different things over the years, but really cant see what relevance my current job title would have to do with posting on this message board. I do appreciate your concern though.

Done a lot of different things over the years, but really cant see what relevance my current job title would have to do with posting on this message board. I do appreciate your concern though.

It means you must have ulterior motives posting on a board meant for drivers, trying to pass yourself off as one. It's guys like you that dissuade many from posting. They don't feel secure here posting amongst members of management for fear of repercussions. If on the other hand you were honest about the fact, they may feel differently. We don't need specific titles per se, just that you are, in fact, a member of the management team. Who knows, it may persuade the men to open up knowing someone higher up were listening to valid concerns.

Last edited:
It means you must have ulterior motives posting on a board meant for drivers, trying to pass yourself off as one. It's guys like you that dissuade many from posting. They don't feel secure here posting amongst members of management for fear of repercussions. If on the other hand you were honest about the fact, they may feel differently. We don't need specific titles per se, just that you are, in fact, a member of the management team. Who knows, it may persuade the men to open up knowing someone higher up were listening to valid concerns.

When i joined Gutterbums site many years ago and when i reupped onto an account for this one, i dont recall that holding a driver title was a prerequisite. If Jeff or one of the mods wishes me not to post, i will gladly honor that request, but until then i will continue to post thoughts that i feel are relevant and could provide value to someone. If someone chooses not to be attentive because of their concerns with any "ulterior motives" i may have, they could use the ignore function, after all most are adults and can decide for themselves.

When i joined Gutterbums site many years ago and when i reupped onto an account for this one, i dont recall that holding a driver title was a prerequisite. If Jeff or one of the mods wishes me not to post, i will gladly honor that request, but until then i will continue to post thoughts that i feel are relevant and could provide value to someone. If someone chooses not to be attentive because of their concerns with any "ulterior motives" i may have, they could use the ignore function, after all most are adults and can decide for themselves.

He's not saying you can't post. I'm sure the powers that be don't care as long as it's within the guidelines. What he's saying is that we all reveal our job class, but you won't reveal yours. Lying by omission is still lying.

He's not saying you can't post. I'm sure the powers that be don't care as long as it's within the guidelines. What he's saying is that we all reveal our job class, but you won't reveal yours. Lying by omission is still lying.

I dont feel it would relevant or proper for me to ask anyone on here to divulge what they do or where they are from and i dont. That said, i would expect that same courtesy and consideration.

I dont feel it would relevant or proper for me to ask anyone on here to divulge what they do or where they are from and i dont. That said, i would expect that same courtesy and consideration.

I get that, but we're all upfront and honest about it. Call it an unwritten rule.

We've had dockworkers that post here, people from other companies and prospective employees come in and we all make it known.

You want to offer words of wisdom and you want us to accept your thoughts in these unsure times, without saying what view it's coming from.

It isn't for me to decide who is welcome here or not. I personally enjoy your insight and intelligent discourse and I hope you stay. I'm just making sure we all understand what one's thought process may be when discussing sensitive subjects such as job losses and furloughs. It doesn't directly have an effect on me, as I'm no longer an employee of FedEx Corporation, but I am my brother's keeper.

Last edited:
I get that, but we're all upfront and honest about it. Call it an unwritten rule.

We've had dockworkers that post here, people from other companies and prospective employees come in and we all make it known.

You want to offer words of wisdom and you want us to accept your thoughts in these unsure times, without saying what view it's coming from.

I understand your point, but my thoughts are my own, developed in conjunction with a degree from the school of hard knocks. I don't see where a job class would or should impact someones acceptance of them, which is kind of my point.

It isn't for me to decide who is welcome here or not. I personally enjoy your insight and intelligent discourse and I hope you stay. I'm just making sure we all understand what one's thought process may be when discussing sensitive subjects such as job losses and furloughs. It doesn't directly have an effect on me, as I'm no longer an employee of FedEx Corporation, but I am my brother's keeper.

Brothers keeper is a big job title there DD. Everyone has thoughts, what else would be driving them to post in the first place. The beauty of a message board is that it helps eliminate preconceived notions by somewhat requiring one to read what is being said, rather than how it is being said or more importantly who is saying it. I am guessing you for one can understand where preconceived notions about ones motives can misconstrue the message one actually wishes to convey.

I understand your point, but my thoughts are my own, developed in conjunction with a degree from the school of hard knocks. I don't see where a job class would or should impact someones acceptance of them, which is kind of my point.

It impacts the acceptance because it alters the point of view. Someone in management won't see the same things from our POV and typically, they defend the company to the end. Drivers tend to be more unbiased than management because we can take our CDL anywhere. If I absolutely have to, I'll go drive for Swift or Western Express because taking care of my family takes priority over the logo on the truck. A manager will have a tough time going to another LTL company. What that does is, it draws a line in the Sand. Supervisors and managers stick together and drivers do the same. We tolerate each other because we have to.

If you're coming into a board where drivers complain and share information and you crap on what we tell each other, reveal your sources. CT said "my local leadership said...." And you told him he was wrong without putting up any sources. How can we trust what you have to say?

It impacts the acceptance because it alters the point of view. Someone in management won't see the same things from our POV and typically, they defend the company to the end. Drivers tend to be more unbiased than management because we can take our CDL anywhere. If I absolutely have to, I'll go drive for Swift or Western Express because taking care of my family takes priority over the logo on the truck. A manager will have a tough time going to another LTL company. What that does is, it draws a line in the Sand. Supervisors and managers stick together and drivers do the same. We tolerate each other because we have to.

If you're coming into a board where drivers complain and share information and you crap on what we tell each other, reveal your sources. CT said "my local leadership said...." And you told him he was wrong without putting up any sources. How can we trust what you have to say?

I am not coming into a board, i have been around this one and its predecessor for a long time and have had several different POVs to offer. I dont expect you to trust what i say any more than you would any other poster. All i can do is post what i think and you can decide with the benefit of hindsight if you wish. Some that have been here a while and interacted with me in the past might appreciate some of the insight i have brought, some may not. To each his own, as i am not here to represent any particular vantage other than my own.

I am not coming into a board, i have been around this one and its predecessor for a long time and have had several different POVs to offer. I dont expect you to trust what i say any more than you would any other poster. All i can do is post what i think and you can decide with the benefit of hindsight if you wish. Some that have been here a while and interacted with me in the past might appreciate some of the insight i have brought, some may not. To each his own, as i am not here to represent any particular vantage other than my own.

I appreciate your insight and what you have to say. I don't have a reason not to. I want to know what every center is going through and what every SCM is saying and then compare. But I also like sources. My SCM said... My op said... Dispatch said....

You go into semantics to say what you're not, which is always a red flag to me.