Central Transport | FedEx big wigs.

I imagine Fed Ex could take on all our freight with little more than a hiccup. As mentioned before most of the terminals and good equipment at vitran is leased so there is nothing to buy but the accounts.

What I tell people at work too. It would be cheaper just to undercut us so we don't have any freight, and run it through their terminals that are already setup and running, then to buy what we own for equipment and buildings. What is leased is fine, they will just finish them out and by then replace that equipment with owned equipment and vacate the other terminals.

I remember when Vitran bought PJAX no one saw it coming, even girls in corporate I was talking to that morning were like oh that must be why donny, mark, etc were here so early and we heard something about a big conference call, we knew something was up but not what.

Vitran bought out Milan also didn't they!?

keep this in mind when Fedex bought Watkins and called them LTL freight they gave all the Watkins drivers new dates of hire. So then they merged them with us (Freight) most all of them got screwed. They have guys that were doing 400-500+ mile runs that in a short order of time were doing 40-80 runs to the hub to work the dock all night. Its true they still have jobs but they are not happy about the way things went down and look at us as the enemy. What I've heard from management about how to tell if Fedex is buying Vitran or not, or these guys just up and left is, watch and see if Fedex hires new guys to fill the positions that are open. If they are left open than they probably will be back and it was a takeover. If the spots are filled then they are not coming back.
Exactly what I was thinking! Those dudes had too much time in & worked from the bottom since AF up to where they were. Both started out as dock workers, DM was one at the old Af terminal they had on cicero over by Ford City.....and I remember when FH was a dock worker back down in INDY when he first started. Those dudes aren't just going to jump ship for no reason. It's something under the table that's not told of course. I don't see those dudes just just ship because of bad blood with their superiors on one specific freaking day. Hell, most folks that come to work everyday has bad blood & are pissed at the world five days a week but u don't see em quit because of that.

they want to be the "ONE" that gets the credit of turning vitran around. people like that who came from a spot which it either be a driver dock hand or just your average joe shmo sales guy, that get to be terminal manager then regional then up to the corporate level, their ego gets bigger and bigger every step they take up the ladder, it is called " a power trip", moat of those that came from being just another employee number to being a corprate big wig, they all forget where they came from, and they look under their $800 italian dress boots, and there they find us, the lil guys, in which they used to be, but forgot quickly where they started from, its just another step on the "corprate ladder" for them. so I dont see a "takeover" I just see a hand full of guys that wanted a new challenge and another notch in their leather belts.

they want to be the "ONE" that gets the credit of turning vitran around. people like that who came from a spot which it either be a driver dock hand or just your average joe shmo sales guy, that get to be terminal manager then regional then up to the corporate level, their ego gets bigger and bigger every step they take up the ladder, it is called " a power trip", moat of those that came from being just another employee number to being a corprate big wig, they all forget where they came from, and they look under their $800 italian dress boots, and there they find us, the lil guys, in which they used to be, but forgot quickly where they started from, its just another step on the "corprate ladder" for them. so I dont see a "takeover" I just see a hand full of guys that wanted a new challenge and another notch in their leather belts.

And the benefit of money? If they turn this around, you can bet there is some mention in their contract of a hefty bonus (and a golden parachute if it does not)

Keep your ears open for people snooping around your terminal, they may not be VT big wigs, they may be FX people checking us out to come up with a price

And the benefit of money? If they turn this around, you can bet there is some mention in their contract of a hefty bonus (and a golden parachute if it does not)
I think you are right. By coming here they got a chance to move up that normally wouldn't be offered to them in the corporate world right now due to their lack of higher expertise and a bulging job market of good talent. Plus, higher pay, bonuses,perks, and bragging rights if it turns around. They are all fed ex people because that is where C.K. Is from. He knows them, and they know him ( and the system). No buy out or take over- who wants to absorb 200+ million of debt when all the assets (terminals,trucks,trails) are leased? If you want it that badly, you can out maneuver it in the marketplace. You don't need a Fifth Column to do it.......

I could see FE maybe buying SOME of us out, but not sure where. In my area there are 4 FE terminals (LTL) serving the same area we do, so other than upping dock capacity, I see no advantage to buying us as a whole unit. If they want more Canada, then just buy that, but then the US LTL will close since we lose money and they make money, and I would believe VT would only sell as a whole unit

I agree, but, I also where these people are getting these ideas with so many coming here from there, and things can work out IF they can hold it together. for being P&D I cannot see where things have improved relating to my job, and our SMS number is still in the high 90's (cannot figure how we can get near a scale and not be stopped) the only real thing FE would have to gain would be some of us handsome drivers :guiness:

vitran canadian ltl is making money and the supply chain side is making alot of money. maybe fed ex wants that.
I'm just another driver, but I really don't think we would buy Vitran at all. FedEx just got Freight turned around back to profitability and I don't see how they could justify taking on another company that's in $$ trouble. Look at this: Financial Statements for Vitran Corporation, Inc. (USA) - Google Finance (look at net income)

then this: Financial Statements for FedEx Corporation - Google Finance

vitran canadian ltl is making money and the supply chain side is making alot of money. maybe fed ex wants that.

All that bottom line Fed Ex income is from all the quarters the Fed Ex Drivers' make while they are under the desk. Check it, all the FedEx uniforms have reinforced knees.

Canada's making money, blah blah blah. Tired of hearing that. The company overall, US and Canada combined is losing money. Yes, Canada was making a profit, which the losses on the US side ate up. If I am making money, and my wife is losing more, then as a household, we are in the hole no matter how you spin it. 0% profit margin. Now, we got more top heavy, higher expenses. In the long run, it will fix things, if we can survive the short run.....one Economic downturn, and we are gonna feel it big....

I have a Simple solution, if you feel Fedex is thinking about buying Vitran then go put in a application at Fedex. The quickest or shortest route to a point is a straight line, your point may be to someday work for Fedex.

we have some drivers that were hired right after the wage freeze and have not received a raise yet and the new hires are making more. i told them to quit and reapply if they want to make more money. :ShakeHandsNah: