FedEx Freight | FedEx Freight to close and consolidate 29 locations, begin another round of furloughs

Just did my 5 years at FXF at the beginning of May. I have 30 drivers under, but the workflow has been very slow for the past few months. Many customers stopped using FXF, because from what they are telling me is that we are too expensive. Apparently R&L or XPO are much cheaper they offer discounts and don't charge detention fee. On the other hand Sheetz is hiring in my area to deliver fuel to their gas stations. Starting pay is $37 per hour and after 3 years the top pay is $40. They get overtime plus triple pay when working on a holiday. They have a swing shift schedule and it's either days or nights. Was told that they don't have driver facing cameras at the moment and drivers are being left alone as long as they do their job safely.

I'm very tempted to make the move, last year at this time of the year I was getting on average 15 hours of OT and now I'm lucky if I can get at least 5. :17113: CC days are still being offered almost everyday and few drivers are currently on furlough.

Just did my 5 years at FXF at the beginning of May. I have 30 drivers under, but the workflow has been very slow for the past few months. Many customers stopped using FXF, because from what they are telling me is that we are too expensive. Apparently R&L or XPO are much cheaper they offer discounts and don't charge detention fee. On the other hand Sheetz is hiring in my area to deliver fuel to their gas stations. Starting pay is $37 per hour and after 3 years the top pay is $40. They get overtime plus triple pay when working on a holiday. They have a swing shift schedule and it's either days or nights. Was told that they don't have driver facing cameras at the moment and drivers are being left alone as long as they do their job safely.

I'm very tempted to make the move, last year at this time of the year I was getting on average 15 hours of OT and now I'm lucky if I can get at least 5. :17113: CC days are still being offered almost everyday and few drivers are currently on furlough.
if you have a chance to get out........GO......this place is not going to get any better

The thing with fuel hauling is that the hours tend to suck. I've spoken to a few of them and the money is good and then they drop the bomb...3PM to 5PM start time, work weekends and 10-12 hour shifts. I have a family and that would never work for me.

They are currently hiring for either midnight or noon :shrug:

If a good job comes up and is comparable or better dont wait to long or another driver will be in that position. A lot of revolving doors right now

If a good job comes up and is comparable or better dont wait to long or another driver will be in that position. A lot of revolving doors right now
I was offered a job hauling groceries. Unload with electric pallet jack. Money was close, but turned down because Insurance was $100 higher a week, only 3 holidays and days off were Wednesday and Thursday. I passed. I may live to regret.

I was offered a job hauling groceries. Unload with electric pallet jack. Money was close, but turned down because Insurance was $100 higher a week, only 3 holidays and days off were Wednesday and Thursday. I passed. I may live to regret.
Insurance can be an issue. Estes has decent insurance but could be better considering the size of the company. The dental is flat out horrible.

See Ya Goodbye GIF by DINOSALLY

I thought about Sheetz also. Mainly to do day work. I assume as the new guy, it would be nights and weekends. It would change my commute from an hour to 15 mins. But the thought of standing outside monitoring the hose, no matter what the weather, no thanks. Plus starting over at age 61. And Volvos

Last edited:
They are currently hiring for either midnight or noon :shrug:
I recently gave a lot of thought to hauling fuel myself but backed off. Aside from having to work Saturdays and Sundays those guys don't get any holidays off at all. They get extra holiday pay but if Christmas, Thanksgiving, 4th of July,Memorial day etc. fall on a work day, you're working. The main problem I have with it is the future of the automobile industry. If you're 61 like xeastend I'd say no worries but not so much if you're a younger guy. EV's seem to be here to stay and they're coming down in price. Toyota is said to be putting a lot of their research and development in hydrogen and GM says they're committed to being all electric by 2035.
The problem with ltl is that it's either too busy or too slow. Things will pick up again it just sucks not knowing when.

They would be trying to hire me everytime they got a delivery .
This company had a rocking shop and bunch of really good things
, yea , I should would of , could of . I go by the quality of the vendor
we had a tank farm that everything to racing and jet type fuels . It
was a dedicated day cab only for you , your baby and 24 hour shop
, nice , safe tanks . Whatever , my two cents .