ODFL | Finally put an app in

Bigreem1985

TB Lurker
Credits
Pretty new to the site and have been enjoying all the good information here.

Had my eye on old d for a while now and finally went and did the pre employment app this morning. They opened a huge new service center here in phx and from the drivers I've been talking to, they are looking for more guys to hire.

Been driving commercially for about 8 years, the last year with tractor trailer. Worked for FedEx Ground for a long time driving a class c straight truck. Got a clean criminal background and a pretty decent MVR. Hoping they will give me a chance!

Asked to speak to the hiring manager but he was out on "vacation" till Tuesday so I'm going to call then to follow up, and keep bugging the crap out of him till he gets tired of me and gives me a interview haha.

I'll keep this updated about how things go.

Thanks guys. Everyone in my area is hiring but from the research I've done, OD sounds like a perfect fit for me. Now just debating between city & line pending they want to give me a chance.

Both very true points. Seems like running the city is about the most "normal" schedule you can have with a trucking job. I would like to work to live, and not live to work.

I run the city now with my current company and often tell myself I'd like to run line as I'm cursing out all the STUPID drivers on the road, but I guess that's one price to pay to have nights and weekends off.

Sure if you like going to work at 9 or 10 and going home 12 hours later. I can work the same number of hours running the road as I did in the city and bring home way money. I didn't have a life in the city.
Very true. I work at SAIA and it was a tough decision for me. I chose the city because I would have had to work the system at first and I like sleeping in my own bed at night. And the Ole Lady wasn't down with it. Money isn't everything, at least for me.

Sure if you like going to work at 9 or 10 and going home 12 hours later. I can work the same number of hours running the road as I did in the city and bring home way money. I didn't have a life in the city.

I can see where you're coming from, it's just the schedule of the city that's appealing. Although you may have to work late, you're still on a normal sleep schedule. Not having to
Try and sleep during the day and stay up all night. Is it true that OD will let the city guys run line on a Saturday for extra money if the freight is available?

I can see where you're coming from, it's just the schedule of the city that's appealing. Although you may have to work late, you're still on a normal sleep schedule. Not having to
Try and sleep during the day and stay up all night. Is it true that OD will let the city guys run line on a Saturday for extra money if the freight is available?

Sleep does become an issue at times yes, but you learn how your body reacts to fatigue rather quickly. I won't hesitate to ask to be pushed down the board a few slots to get sleep if it's getting late and I haven't gotten a call. Sucks to miss a run occasionally but it's better than ending up in a ditch. Mostly happens in the winter and doesn't last too long. Staying out in the system helps too because once you leave you are costing them money 2 hours after you're available, so there isn't much sitting on the road. Some terminals have a day and a night extraboard too which keeps you on a more regular schedule. Wish ATL would adopt something like that but I doubt it. Team also keeps the schedule more consistent especially if your partner is willing to split the day up in 12 hour shifts that start at the same time no matter when you leave and you stick with it all the time.

Thanks for the response and answers Songremainsthesame. I like the fact we could run line on a Saturday to make a few extra bucks.

So I called and talked to the hiring manager today... Didn't go very well. He asked me where I currently worked and why I was wanting to leave there, so I explained to him that every driver of theirs I've ever talked to have nothing but positive things to say about the company and that's the company and team I want to be on.

Being a young dumb kid many years ago, I got a DUI, not proud of it, but it was a blessing in disguise. He told me that the company really doesn't like to bring drivers on that have had those (even know this was 10 years ago) and then he has dock guys with a similar situation. He said it wouldn't make sense to hire "that type of guy" of the street when he has dock guys already working there he could put on driving. Was told that he would keep my app on file in case he wanted to bring me in for an interview some time later on.

I'm disappointed to say the least, but what can I do? Oh well, you miss 100% of the shots that you don't take so I'm glad I at least tried.

You did the right thing by being honest. It's definitely the right policy with our guys and will go far to hopefully getting you in at a later date. I would encourage you to check in with them occasionally, let them know you're there and still interested. Continuity of employment might help too, so if you can stick with your current employer it might add to your stock value. Good luck to you!

Thanks for the response and answers Songremainsthesame. I like the fact we could run line on a Saturday to make a few extra bucks.

So I called and talked to the hiring manager today... Didn't go very well. He asked me where I currently worked and why I was wanting to leave there, so I explained to him that every driver of theirs I've ever talked to have nothing but positive things to say about the company and that's the company and team I want to be on.

Being a young dumb kid many years ago, I got a DUI, not proud of it, but it was a blessing in disguise. He told me that the company really doesn't like to bring drivers on that have had those (even know this was 10 years ago) and then he has dock guys with a similar situation. He said it wouldn't make sense to hire "that type of guy" of the street when he has dock guys already working there he could put on driving. Was told that he would keep my app on file in case he wanted to bring me in for an interview some time later on.

I'm disappointed to say the least, but what can I do? Oh well, you miss 100% of the shots that you don't take so I'm glad I at least tried.

I suggest you keep calling. Show unwavering interest - let him know you WANT that job. Every terminal does things a little differently, but I believe the general corporate policy is that your DUI has to be at least 5 years old. I know guys at our terminal that were hired off the street with a DUI on their record.

Thanks wawtrucker and Somgremainsthesame.

I will give the hiring manager a call tomorrow to keep my name fresh in his mind. I applied for city but I'd do line as well... Maybe they're looking for guys there.

I also put an app in for line at Saia last night to which I'm gonna call and follow up up. I saw a ad stating they were for sure hiring for line & city.

Also have an opportunity with a fedex ground contractor running team pulling doubles OTR... Leave Tuesday morning get back Saturday afternoon and off till you leave out the following Tuesday. .50 a mile, 5-6000 miles a week, $1,500 sign on bonus plus healthcare benefits. The money sounds nice but not sure I want to run team OTR, although that schedule isn't too bad.

Last edited: