ODFL | Finally put an app in

Question for you guys...

When I did the pre employment app, there was a sheet that you had to take with you stating the things you needed to bring if called in for an interview, well, I can't find it.

Do any of you know what exactly needed to be brung? I think it was DL, medical card and the long form, SS card and I thought there was a few more.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Disregard the last post, I found the sheet.

I gotta stop thinking about the interview on Monday, I'm getting myself all nervous haha.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Sleep does become an issue at times yes, but you learn how your body reacts to fatigue rather quickly. I won't hesitate to ask to be pushed down the board a few slots to get sleep if it's getting late and I haven't gotten a call. Sucks to miss a run occasionally but it's better than ending up in a ditch. Mostly happens in the winter and doesn't last too long. Staying out in the system helps too because once you leave you are costing them money 2 hours after you're available, so there isn't much sitting on the road. Some terminals have a day and a night extraboard too which keeps you on a more regular schedule. Wish ATL would adopt something like that but I doubt it. Team also keeps the schedule more consistent especially if your partner is willing to split the day up in 12 hour shifts that start at the same time no matter when you leave and you stick with it all the time.
I come from 6 years of running food service, waking up at 2am every single day! That's why I chose line haul after a year in P&D. I just ask to be pushed down the board almost every night and I get a call at 2am almost every day. It feels like a day shift to me.

However, Sundays have proven to be difficult. They call me anywhere from 9am-5pm and tell me to come in anywhere from 7pm-2am. It really gets to be annoying, but I manage. So to me, it feels like I run a day shift (I consider a 3am dispatch a day shift) and strictly drive, bringing in 70-80k per year.

It's a sweet deal in my opinion. I do miss the normal schedule occasionally, but every pay day I smile. haha

I didn't get my 34 this week and had to refuse a dispatch, because it would have screwed my hours the rest of the week. They were not so happy.

I always try to communicate my hours/schedule needs to them as necessary or as soon as I know something is going to be a problem. How did you not get a 34 this week?

Well the interview went really well!

The hiring manager seemed like a laid back guy and we chatted for about 25 minutes or so. He asked me some basic questions, nothin out of the ordinary. He said that he really liked my attitude and he thought id be a great fit with the company.

However, he said that he had about 7 more interviews to do and 3 openings to fill. He said that he would be in contact so we'll see how it goes.

Are you a city driver? Or a line driver with a schedule?
I'm a line driver. Extra board. They needed help, so I did it. They pre dispatched me on Sunday for a 1900, knowing that I got off at 14:45 on Saturday. Then when I tell them the bad news they act like its my fault that they set me up on a load I couldn't take. They pitched a fit, but of course they got it covered within minutes.

He told me he wouldn't punish me this time. I told him I've been here 12 months and haven't missed a day, why the hassle? He said it is what it is. I just shook my head.

I'm a line driver. Extra board. They needed help, so I did it. They pre dispatched me on Sunday for a 1900, knowing that I got off at 14:45 on Saturday. Then when I tell them the bad news they act like its my fault that they set me up on a load I couldn't take. They pitched a fit, but of course they got it covered within minutes.

He told me he wouldn't punish me this time. I told him I've been here 12 months and haven't missed a day, why the hassle? He said it is what it is. I just shook my head.

In not making sense of this. I'm extra and I take off for a reset whenever needed. Did you not put in for a 34 on blu when you were out of hours?

I applied for city, but asked him about line. He said they weren't hiring for line, but said that if something comes up that I can transfer over. We are considered a end of line terminal here in PHX, and he said they have about 30 line haul drivers.

He also stated that I'd start out being on the dock, and driving when needed... He said normally at least 3+ days a week. Is this normal?

In not making sense of this. I'm extra and I take off for a reset whenever needed. Did you not put in for a 34 on blu when you were out of hours?
Haha, I'm with another company. Trust me, you can't make sense out of it because dispatch doesn't know what they are doing. I work Sunday night through Thursday night. I worked a 6th day, and they are supposed to know when they set up all of the Sunday night runs that I won't be available until my 34 is up. They instead call me a few hours prior to my dispatch telling me to come in at 1900. My 34 wasn't up until 2245. He got into a funk because he was acting like he had no one to cover the run and he couldn't switch things around.

We don't put in for a 34, I turn in my card after my final run of the week and they are supposed to know when they set up the Sunday runs when I'm fresh again. I don't understand why they act like switching things around when they come to a situation like this is so difficult. I would gladly call them and let them know when I'm fresh, however this is not how things are done here. But this is Central Freight Lines (not Central Transport). And things aren't always up to snuff. My paycheck is always good though!

Oh ok. For some reason I thought you were over here with us. I like the fact that after every run I tell them whether I just want 10 off, 12, 14, 15, 24 or 34 or however long off before my next run. Also if your 34 puts you up at a weird time you can have them adjust it to a more "normal" hour, especially on Sundays.

Oh ok. For some reason I thought you were over here with us. I like the fact that after every run I tell them whether I just want 10 off, 12, 14, 15, 24 or 34 or however long off before my next run. Also if your 34 puts you up at a weird time you can have them adjust it to a more "normal" hour, especially on Sundays.
Not a bad deal!

I applied for city, but asked him about line. He said they weren't hiring for line, but said that if something comes up that I can transfer over. We are considered a end of line terminal here in PHX, and he said they have about 30 line haul drivers.

He also stated that I'd start out being on the dock, and driving when needed... He said normally at least 3+ days a week. Is this normal?
Are you going to pull for ODFL? If so they are going to hire you as a Combo Driver, which could be dock, city and linehaul as needed.Do not push the subject until you get hired, when you get hired let them know you would like city right away. Have a note put into your file stating that. This may help you with seniority.

If you use your hours properly and do a recap, you may not ever run out of hours. Remember that it is still 70hrs in 8days. so doing a recap you may not ever hit your 70 in 8. You only have to use your 34 when you have reached your 70 or could not complete the run under 70.

Haha, I'm with another company. Trust me, you can't make sense out of it because dispatch doesn't know what they are doing. I work Sunday night through Thursday night. I worked a 6th day, and they are supposed to know when they set up all of the Sunday night runs that I won't be available until my 34 is up. They instead call me a few hours prior to my dispatch telling me to come in at 1900. My 34 wasn't up until 2245. He got into a funk because he was acting like he had no one to cover the run and he couldn't switch things around.

We don't put in for a 34, I turn in my card after my final run of the week and they are supposed to know when they set up the Sunday runs when I'm fresh again. I don't understand why they act like switching things around when they come to a situation like this is so difficult. I would gladly call them and let them know when I'm fresh, however this is not how things are done here. But this is Central Freight Lines (not Central Transport). And things aren't always up to snuff. My paycheck is always good though!

I figured you didn't work for ODFL when you said that you had such a large window for when to expect calls and take a dispatch. Unless other terminals run things differently, our wild drivers operate within a call window of 3-4 hours tops, and always work the same relative shift, e.g. same days of the week and either night or day shift, mostly nights for linehaul. What you described was starting to sound like being on call ...

Each terminal can run things a little differently. At our terminal, drivers don't work the dock, ever. P&D or L/H. Combos don't work the dock either.

Hoping the best for you man! Corporate usually takes 2 weeks to confirm hiring, if you get to that point where your app is submitted to corporate.