ODFL | Finally put an app in

Each terminal can run things a little differently. At our terminal, drivers don't work the dock, ever. P&D or L/H. Combos don't work the dock either.

Hoping the best for you man! Corporate usually takes 2 weeks to confirm hiring, if you get to that point where your app is submitted to corporate.
So let me ask you this. when does seniority count for a Combo driver, as there are different lists for LH and P&D?

So let me ask you this. when does seniority count for a Combo driver, as there are different lists for LH and P&D?

Good question. Honestly, I'm not sure how seniority even works for P&D. I'm L/H. I was talking to one combo driver at our terminal, and he said that they do have seniority. Not sure if that plays into starting time or not. He didn't go into detail, and I didn't ask.

All I do know is that if you move from P&D to L/H or Combo, or any move for that matter, it's down the ladder you go. You keep your pay rate, but lose your seniority. Same with moving to another terminal. You keep your pay rate, lose your seniority.

I figured you didn't work for ODFL when you said that you had such a large window for when to expect calls and take a dispatch. Unless other terminals run things differently, our wild drivers operate within a call window of 3-4 hours tops, and always work the same relative shift, e.g. same days of the week and either night or day shift, mostly nights for linehaul. What you described was starting to sound like being on call ...

In other words running out of ATL... Lol

If you use your hours properly and do a recap, you may not ever run out of hours. Remember that it is still 70hrs in 8days. so doing a recap you may not ever hit your 70 in 8. You only have to use your 34 when you have reached your 70 or could not complete the run under 70.

One of two things happens with me, either I run out of hours in 6 days or I get restarts during the week when we're slow. Still make enough to pay the bills even in the slow times though...

Are you going to pull for ODFL? If so they are going to hire you as a Combo Driver, which could be dock, city and linehaul as needed.Do not push the subject until you get hired, when you get hired let them know you would like city right away. Have a note put into your file stating that. This may help you with seniority.

He never mentioned anything to me about a combo driver. He said that he was hiring for P&D, but that he starts all his new guys off on the dock and driving when the freight is heavy. I honestly have no desire to work the dock but if that's my foot in the door I will most certainly deal with it. I really want to go line haul with them, so if they were wanting a combo driver I wouldn't be against that. I told him that once a line haul spot opens up that he should expect to see my name on the sheet.

He never mentioned anything to me about a combo driver. He said that he was hiring for P&D, but that he starts all his new guys off on the dock and driving when the freight is heavy. I honestly have no desire to work the dock but if that's my foot in the door I will most certainly deal with it. I really want to go line haul with them, so if they were wanting a combo driver I wouldn't be against that. I told him that once a line haul spot opens up that he should expect to see my name on the sheet.

That's the best attitude to take! Do what they need, and eventually you'll get your crack at L/H. I've never heard of drivers having to work the dock, but like I said, each terminal is run a little differently. I have heard of new hires working the dock before a driving position opens up, or before they can get into ODFL's driving school.

Each terminal can run things a little differently. At our terminal, drivers don't work the dock, ever. P&D or L/H. Combos don't work the dock either.

Hoping the best for you man! Corporate usually takes 2 weeks to confirm hiring, if you get to that point where your app is submitted to corporate.

Thanks man! I'm really hoping to avoid having to work the dock very much, if at all, but if that's what it takes so be it. I'm excited to say the least about the opportunity, now just gotta wait to get the call that they want to proceed forward with me.

That's the best attitude to take! Do what they need, and eventually you'll get your crack at L/H. I've never heard of drivers having to work the dock, but like I said, each terminal is run a little differently. I have heard of new hires working the dock before a driving position opens up, or before they can get into ODFL's driving school.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too. I want to make this company my last stop in trucking so I'll gladly pay my dues. I have over a year experience so I know they aren't going to put me through their school, but like you said, every terminal is run differently so if I get the chance, we will see what happens!

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too. I want to make this company my last stop in trucking so I'll gladly pay my dues. I have over a year experience so I know they aren't going to put me through their school, but like you said, every terminal is run differently so if I get the chance, we will see what happens!
Been in the LTL game for a year now, it's not like it's a the dream gig of a lifetime, but it's as close as you get in this industry, I figure.

One thing I know for sure, OD is first class!

Been in the LTL game for a year now, it's not like it's a the dream gig of a lifetime, but it's as close as you get in this industry, I figure.

It isn't perfect but no place is, and I haven't found a better place that offers the total package I get here. I haven't ever regretted coming over here.

I'm sure, nothing is perfect. I'm just wanting a place I can grow and prosper with for the next 30 years until I retire.

Hop back in the truck to go do a swap and turn on the radio, and what's on? Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, "The Waiting". Boy oh boy that couldn't have been a more appropriate song for how I feel right now haha. Waiting for that phone call is the hardest part.

All I do know is that if you move from P&D to L/H or Combo, or any move for that matter, it's down the ladder you go. You keep your pay rate, but lose your seniority. Same with moving to another terminal. You keep your pay rate, lose your seniority.
So where does a Combo driver fall into LH or P&D? As there is no seniority for a Combo driver, but does both LH and P&D......

If you move to another Service Center, you may lose or gain your pay rate. Depends also where you are on the scale. I took a rate cut because the Service Center that transfer was from was paid more for city, but did not lose rate for LH (did go to the bottom of the list each time).