ODFL | fired for hookin off duty

the crippler

TB Lurker
Credits
HELLO EVERY ONE I WAS FIRED FROM OLD DOMENION 2/17/16 FOR DROP HOOKIN I WAS OFF DUTY ON THE BLU I ALWAYS HOOK UP OFF DUTY ON MY 30 MINUTE BRAKE WHEN I GET TO MY DEST TERMINAL I HAD A 620 MILE RUN SOMETIMES WITH THE WEATHER IT HARD TO MAKE IT BACK IN TIME WHEN I WAS HOOKING I MASHED MY FOOT UNDERVTHE DOLLY LEG N HAD TO GO TO THE CLINIC THE SAFETY DEPT PULL ME IN THE OFFICE WHEN I GOT BACK TO MY TERMINAL N FIRED ME HE TOLD ME IT IS A DOT VILATION TO DROP HOOK OFF DUTY N SINCE I HAD A INJURY THE COMPANY COULD GET IN TROUBLE THIS IS WHY WE NEED A ONION THE TEAMSTER WOULD NOT LET THIS HAPPEN I KNO I SCREWED UP BUT I DO NOT THINK I SHOULD OF GOT FIRED DOES ANY ONE HAVE ANY LEGAL ADVISE I FEEL THEY TREATED ME WRONG THANK U FOR READING HAVE A BLESSED DAY

HELLO EVERY ONE I WAS FIRED FROM OLD DOMENION 2/17/16 FOR DROP HOOKIN I WAS OFF DUTY ON THE BLU I ALWAYS HOOK UP OFF DUTY ON MY 30 MINUTE BRAKE WHEN I GET TO MY DEST TERMINAL I HAD A 620 MILE RUN SOMETIMES WITH THE WEATHER IT HARD TO MAKE IT BACK IN TIME WHEN I WAS HOOKING I MASHED MY FOOT UNDERVTHE DOLLY LEG N HAD TO GO TO THE CLINIC THE SAFETY DEPT PULL ME IN THE OFFICE WHEN I GOT BACK TO MY TERMINAL N FIRED ME HE TOLD ME IT IS A DOT VILATION TO DROP HOOK OFF DUTY N SINCE I HAD A INJURY THE COMPANY COULD GET IN TROUBLE THIS IS WHY WE NEED A ONION THE TEAMSTER WOULD NOT LET THIS HAPPEN I KNO I SCREWED UP BUT I DO NOT THINK I SHOULD OF GOT FIRED DOES ANY ONE HAVE ANY LEGAL ADVISE I FEEL THEY TREATED ME WRONG THANK U FOR READING HAVE A BLESSED DAY
You broke a federal law in the first place.You was working when you were on your 30 min off duty break.The truck is not suppose to move.Didn't help any when you hurt yourself.Just don't get it.The U will save the day.lol..Hate hear.But,you don't have a leg to stand on.Like I have always said. You fire yourself at OD.

First question is: is your home state a right to work state?

Even if it isn't, I don't think you have a leg to stand on here. By your own admission, you were "off duty" which means that work comp and insurance wouldn't cover you.

Best advice I can give is let it go and move on. Plenty of other driving jobs out there. Best wishes

Union wouldn't be able to do anything for you when you break federal DOT regs. Some things are cardinal sins. When you do work off duty injury or accident is your greatest risk.

I would have never done a 620 mile run in the first place. If there were no other shorter runs I would quit and look for another job. But that's just me, the best run I ever had was 320 miles, go to the hotel for 10 then 320 home. Started at 6 am and was back home 24 hours later then had 24 hours off before I went out again. Was never tired, had time to do things, and felt human.

You broke a federal law in the first place.You was working when you were on your 30 min off duty break.The truck is not suppose to move.Didn't help any when you hurt yourself.Just don't get it.The U will save the day.lol..Hate hear.But,you don't have a leg to stand on.Like I have always said. You fire yourself at OD.
I agree with Kenneth, feel bad for you man. Lost a great job but do not agree with your Union contract we sure the hell don't need that problem! IMO

No....this is why you don't work off duty. Sorry for your situation but this is self inflicted and now you want to blame the company!

Ok, I usually just read the post and move on. But I have to chime in on this one. As stated above a union would not benefit you in anyway for your incident. I have to confess I admire your honesty... Majority of persons would have logged back in and said the incident happened while logged in on duty and not confessed to it happening while off duty. Good luck with all your future endeavors and be safe.

Ok, I usually just read the post and move on. But I have to chime in on this one. As stated above a union would not benefit you in anyway for your incident. I have to confess I admire your honesty... Majority of persons would have logged back in and said the incident happened while logged in on duty and not confessed to it happening while off duty. Good luck with all your future endeavors and be safe.

Exactly what this guy said. You should've waited until your break was up. Then logged on duty. Then reported the incident.