FedEx Freight | FONTANA. FEDEX FREIGHT OR SAIA....

I have no doubt in my mind I would leave. I watched people leave both Saia and Conway for just that reason.
To the OP I'd say UPS Freight is the best LTL job out there. The pension and health insurance are much better than FedEx Freights. If that doesn't work I would obviously choose FedEx Freight over Saia. If those first 2 don't hire you I still wouldn't consider Saia. ABF is decent but not what it used to be, still decent though.
At this point I can do just as good or better in oil field, fuel hauling or foodservice as I can in LTL.
I would head to YRC or Reddaway before I go somewhere that needs to stick a camera in my face to observe me.
Sorry Saia guys, nothing personal.

I have no doubt in my mind I would leave. I watched people leave both Saia and Conway for just that reason.
To the OP I'd say UPS Freight is the best LTL job out there. The pension and health insurance are much better than FedEx Freights. If that doesn't work I would obviously choose FedEx Freight over Saia. If those first 2 don't hire you I still wouldn't consider Saia. ABF is decent but not what it used to be, still decent though.
At this point I can do just as good or better in oil field, fuel hauling or foodservice as I can in LTL.
I would head to YRC or Reddaway before I go somewhere that needs to stick a camera in my face to observe me.
Sorry Saia guys, nothing personal.
Thanks crusher man! appreciate the input. Interview with saia is tmw. or was tmw.. was on the fence about it.. but after some heavy research this wkend Im not gonna go. DFCs actually had little to do with the decision. Guess it was more about the long run. Seems better with Fedex. UPS would definitely be nice but that turnover rate is so low. Positions are few and far between. At this point the only companies that can get my attention are UPS, OD, ABF, YOUNGS MARKET or UNFI (have applications in with all of them) Kinda done with the exhausting job hunt/company research. For the foreseeable future looks like I'll be a FEDEX road driver. Should be starting early November. Still trying to get some details about the pay progression out of the Fontana terminal and some info about benefits. Finally got a number for an employees relation contact that i'm going to try and call tomorrow. Hopefully he could shed some light on things. Everyone else Ive spole to couldn't really tell me much without me having an employee number yet. Anyways thanks again

Keep in mind, all these companies start to slow down now and the first quarter of the year is usually even worse. I'd take the job and hunker down for the winter. UPS is very hard to get in but UPS Freight is not so hard. 2 different companies, same corporation.
Not sure about Young's but grocery chains running their own trucks are definitely some of the best jobs out there. Pretty much all driving, drop and hooks. A lot of that work is Teamsters which should mean great health care and hopefully a pension. Like I said, I know nothing about Young's.
Maybe either RC or Richard Cranium will come along. One of them might be able to help you with info on that location

Keep in mind, all these companies start to slow down now and the first quarter of the year is usually even worse. I'd take the job and hunker down for the winter. UPS is very hard to get in but UPS Freight is not so hard. 2 different companies, same corporation.
Not sure about Young's but grocery chains running their own trucks are definitely some of the best jobs out there. Pretty much all driving, drop and hooks. A lot of that work is Teamsters which should mean great health care and hopefully a pension. Like I said, I know nothing about Young's.
Maybe either RC or Richard Cranium will come along. One of them might be able to help you with info on that location
would be cool if someone would come along with info on Fontana FXF

but.. for the interest of sharing info and letting brothers know whats out there, I'll share what I do know about Youngs. Its one of the greats! for sure.. If UPS has the best union contract in the nation than Youngs is a close 2nd. along with Southern wine n spirits.
Youngs pays full scale after 18months. 31-32$/hr. VERY OT friendly. Free benefits. 6$ into your pension for every hour that you work. Those are just the top 3 perks but its definitely one of those companies that rewards you for investing your time.

would be cool if someone would come along with info on Fontana FXF

but.. for the interest of sharing info and letting brothers know whats out there, I'll share what I do know about Youngs. Its one of the greats! for sure.. If UPS has the best union contract in the nation than Youngs is a close 2nd. along with Southern wine n spirits.
Youngs pays full scale after 18months. 31-32$/hr. VERY OT friendly. Free benefits. 6$ into your pension for every hour that you work. Those are just the top 3 perks but its definitely one of those companies that rewards you for investing your time.

isn't that just a shuttle run to Mira Mesa with mega dock hours....

they have different positions. little tiny straight truck deliveries or whs. be lucky to land shuttling right off the bat. easier to get in by working the whs. everyone in their whs has a class A or B and they get their drivers from there

You’re entitled to your opinion but most of our 130+ man road board are old school guys, they became truck drivers for various reasons including being able to enjoy the privacy and the freedom that came with the profession. The beepers and buzzers have ate away at that freedom while DFC will certainly take away any privacy. I don’t condone texting and driving, surfing the net while driving, etc, but I don’t need a camera watching my every move either...if I did I would’ve became a teacher, a bank teller, retail employee, etc...

As for the money, this job has allowed us to save enough over the years that most can afford to retire early and find something else to do until their official retirement. :1036316054:

Yep, you could have been a butcher, baker, or candlestick maker, you're right about the DFCs, too much big
brother now, I do think with all the fruitcakes on the roads today, forward cameras will eventually be a requirement for your protection.

I work at SAIA in the FON region. It’s an ok job. The driver facing cameras really killed it. It’s 100% true that you cannot use the CB radio or even be on the phone through handsfree. You will be suspended if caught. Equipment is poorly maintained. Most trailers and dollies are garbage. Drivers don’t report bad equipment and it sits on the ready line.

Being on extrabord at SAIA, you’ll get plenty of miles and drive time but, you also have the chance of being out on the road all Week staying in hotels.

Even though I don’t work at fedex (anyone correct me if I’m wrong) I think the issue a road driver might have coming on in the Fontana region is that they are dense in breakbulks. There are 2 in Mira loma, one in Devore and one in Whittier. You might not be doing a lot of driving for a while. Not saying it’s a bad thing but, it’s the reason why a lot of people didn’t like Conway and would leave.

I personally don’t mind the dock work and actually have an app in for fedex freight. FXF is top dog for a reason and it seems to me most of their drivers are very happy with their jobs and pay

I work at SAIA in the FON region. It’s an ok job. The driver facing cameras really killed it. It’s 100% true that you cannot use the CB radio or even be on the phone through handsfree. You will be suspended if caught. Equipment is poorly maintained. Most trailers and dollies are garbage. Drivers don’t report bad equipment and it sits on the ready line.

Being on extrabord at SAIA, you’ll get plenty of miles and drive time but, you also have the chance of being out on the road all Week staying in hotels.

Even though I don’t work at fedex (anyone correct me if I’m wrong) I think the issue a road driver might have coming on in the Fontana region is that they are dense in breakbulks. There are 2 in Mira loma, one in Devore and one in Whittier. You might not be doing a lot of driving for a while. Not saying it’s a bad thing but, it’s the reason why a lot of people didn’t like Conway and would leave.

I personally don’t mind the dock work and actually have an app in for fedex freight. FXF is top dog for a reason and it seems to me most of their drivers are very happy with their jobs and pay

Job and pay is good. Insurance and retirement not so much...

insurance expensive? every check or once a month?

Cheap plan
Employee only 11
Employee and child 46
Employee and family 99

Expensive plan
Employee 82
Employee and child 177
Employee and family 331

All the numbers I listed are monthly cost. But we pay for insurance every paycheck. It seems to get worse every year usually more expensive and covers less every year. For a company doing as well as we are, we deserve better insurance plain and simple.