TForce | Food for thought......

Greezy Trucker

TB Veteran
Credits
This not second hand info or any bullsh$t. My father-in-law started the same time as another fellow. With UPS in 1978. The company wanted both to move into mngment. My father-in-law declined and the other guy took the job. A months difference in seniority. Last year they both had or would of had 25 years in. Three months before they were both to retire the other guy gets fired from his mngment position with no reasons. Mngment is not union and he had no recourse. So all the bennies he should of retired with were gone, not even as much as a thank you for your time. My father-in-law is getting $2200 amonth insurance is $50 a month at 55 years old. So if you think UPS really cares about you as an individual you need to reconsider. Am I not saying they are not a good company but bottom line money talks and we are just numbers. So....... Let'er rip and tell me what ever you feel or how stupid I am.

Didn't your father-laws friend have any pension accumulated?

Part of his wage must have included a pension benefit.
If he was terminated he should at least get what pension was owed him for the years he served.
If not,than why can't every company with pension plans for their workers fire them before they have a chance to retire,and call what money they would have paid out profit ?

May the Lord direct your path it works for me.

first apostolic,i'm not really pro or con when it comes to the union,but that being said if you look at the law of averages it works (the teamsters union) for all thats involved. i've been on both sides of the fence and i think weighing everything out that organized labor works for the majority, thats not to say the teamsters a perfect, god knows there not,but, if i were with overnite givin what i know i would have to vote yes, but not without reservations.

Apostolic,
You are correct. The person will still receive some form of pension. The pension is protected by law. Why was the person terminated from UPS after 25 years is the question that no one except UPS or the individual will know the true answer. No company can ever give their side of the story except in court, the individual who lost their job, can always tell anything they want. The company has to remain quiet, unless the courts demand an answer. Been around too long not to know that there is always two sides to every story and that there are many employment laws to protect individuals and the employment laws are better protection than any union.

bamaboy said:
Apostolic,
You are correct. The person will still receive some form of pension. The pension is protected by law. Why was the person terminated from UPS after 25 years is the question that no one except UPS or the individual will know the true answer. No company can ever give their side of the story except in court, the individual who lost their job, can always tell anything they want. The company has to remain quiet, unless the courts demand an answer. Been around too long not to know that there is always two sides to every story and that there are many employment laws to protect individuals and the employment laws are better protection than any union.
It all comes back to a, AT WILL COMPANY/STATE

Why would anyone want to fight for what they have earned over the years .

I'd much rather skip the BS and collect what my contract states I am entitled . Who wants to be dealing with labor lawyers when they could be fishing , golfing , or watching the grass grow for that matter ?

55 and out is my chosen path .

I could be wrong, and probably am generalizing. But don't most non union employees A.k.A mang. get their pension in a form of company stock? I know thats how it is at the Big R. Not sure how UPS is cause they just went public not too long ago. Just throwing that out there.

Not so sure that he didn't get stock and all that but the medical he would of received after 25 years was gone. And yes there is two sides but if you thunk this is an isolated event ask around.

If that pension fund is a golden egg there will be many of us putting in 24 years and 9 months to discreatly being dismissed for a little common mistake.

well webidiot, i dont want to be hated by you or anybody else for that matter,i was only trying to be diplomatic in my choice of words,did not mean to draw such a sharp reply from anybody, only to share from my own dealings with both parties.

misfit73 said:
G.T 2200 a month I can believe but 50 dollars a month a little far fetched don't you think.
Uh no I like to lie to you just to read how stupid you think I am. And yes it is $50 a month for him and his wife. Would you like his number so you can see for yourself. Just because your dad got screwed doesn't mean it will happen to everyone. Besides my dad got screwed because he took it too early. Granted it was only three years and what he got was a huge deduction from what he should of got. So stop with the calling me am liar. I am on the your team, wear the same uniform and the whole bit. I have as much interest in this as you do. I am just sharing what I know and have been around. Sorry if it just don't seem possible.

your welcome valerie. the thing about organized labor is its a majority vote format.it may not work for you at a givin time ,but,i say but, it may work for you the next time around. its time the workforce in america actually realized that. i beleive a person should be loyal to the company he or she works for,but dont be fooled that the company always has your best interest in mind.so the only way that the workforce has to police the company is to organize
and hope that its law of averages works for you the majority of the time.

wyomingkid said:
your welcome valerie. the thing about organized labor is its a majority vote format.it may not work for you at a givin time ,but,i say but, it may work for you the next time around. its time the workforce in america actually realized that. i beleive a person should be loyal to the company he or she works for,but dont be fooled that the company always has your best interest in mind.so the only way that the workforce has to police the company is to organize
and hope that its law of averages works for you the majority of the time.

There is only one that has your best interest in mind. That is Jesus Christ. Everybody else will let you down including big corporations.

I think everyone here realizes that. We have a lot of protection in place to help the working man now. The union isn't the only means of help.

I made it in the work force 36 years without having to pay for protection. I suspect I'll probably make it to retirement also.

This looks like the union I was forced out of my brother.

Oh my Lord Skeeter.
This is the very thing I've been posting ever since I found the truckboards.

Just think how much the Teamsters could use our dues money.
2 & 1/2 hours pay,at $21,00 top pay times a lot of Overnite,& motor Cargo working at the top rate,it would be a nice piece of change.

I also say amen my brother for you looking to Jesus Christ,for all of your blessings

May the Lord direct your path it works for me.

Skeeter said:
Since all we talk about is union and that is ok. I thought this was pretty interesting!

http://www.unionfacts.com/unions/unionProfile.cfm?id=93

http://www.unionfacts.com/press.cfm
While I wouldn't discount those facts, and some I thought were good. But as far as the corruption, don't you think ups uses its cash in the same ways? Not that we are far from perfect, just that union or non union both big business's and I say we(union) are big business, just one is a means to our better future. If you could honestly say any big business isn't atleast somewhat corrupt or lying in someway, your full of sh@t! I'll take a little corruption in the form of pay and security..... But hey thats my personal opinion.

And back to the money UPS spends. As I was told by a employee, so this is 2nd hand Knwledge, but heard by other people that it was true. They offered every full time guy a 35,000 bonus to agree on not hiring anymore full time men. Heres a company trying not to pay you benifits and a pension, yet somehow, you want to love them and think your future will be fine! Thanks to all the men and women who stood up for themselves...and mostly the future of all ups employees

While adding some thisngs in there, some got deleted. I did ask a ups parcal person to verify that last statement to fair and accurate, cause it ws second hand knowledge. And I also couldnt remember the amount. Pretty sure that was it, but would be lying if I said it was. Any amount close to that times the amount of employees is still stagering.