Yellow | Forty hour per month limit.

skullcramp

Government Seal
Credits
Anyone here have any luck getting around the forty hour limit in restricted employment? currently working part time driving
the bookmobile for a municipality that were teamsters at one time. i always thought that working for a Government entityor vocational training were
unlimited . I read the restricted employment rules and it looks pretty cut and dried. The city has a temporary need for more drivers on the rolling library
and I'd like to help. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I was going to call the hall but figured I’d get “in order to protect the members “ spiel.
Call your hall to be sure. Many locals loosened those restrictions when companies were hurting for drivers in the past. Doesn't hurt to ask the right people (and double check what they tell you anyway). 🙂

I wouldn't call to be sure. What they communicate verbally won't be binding, even if you could confirm it. Read the fine print, that's what will determine your restricted employment limitations.

The person at CSPF that got me through the process had me fax a letter with my signature that I understood that I was only allowed to work forty hours a month. My pension wouldn't be approved unless I did that. Or quit the part time job. I forgot to state that when I started the thread. My apologies for not putting that in my initial posting. The CSPF rules are pretty clear about it. She didn't give me any advice about appealing it I'll have to read up on that.

Central States put in writing for me that the age where restrictions end, I can collect and still drive, is 70 1/2. I informed my Boss that’s currently 12 months and 8 days, but who’s counting?
Yes, that was the RMD age for a long time. It applied to me at the time (I'm well beyond it now) but I think it's been upped recently.

Anyone here have any luck getting around the forty hour limit in restricted employment? currently working part time driving
the bookmobile for a municipality that were teamsters at one time. i always thought that working for a Government entityor vocational training were
unlimited . I read the restricted employment rules and it looks pretty cut and dried. The city has a temporary need for more drivers on the rolling library
Wow! It DOES say Governments Employment is Unlimited. I almost filed for my pension and took a job driving a Dump Truck/Snowplow 40 hrs a WEEK for my County. Now I’m glad I didn’t!

Yes, that was the RMD age for a long time. It applied to me at the time (I'm well beyond it now) but I think it's been upped recently.
The US Government age for requiring people to withdrawl a certain amount from their 401k used to be 70 1/2. Now that’s 72, and they are debating raising it to 73. The reason is so investments can sit and grow for longer. That’s why I asked Central States about the age, and they sent back a written message that it’s 70 1/2.

The US Government age for requiring people to withdrawl a certain amount from their 401k used to be 70 1/2. Now that’s 72, and they are debating raising it to 73. The reason is so investments can sit and grow for longer. That’s why I asked Central States about the age, and they sent back a written message that it’s 70 1/2.
Yes, that's the RMD (Required Minimum Distribution) age when you're required to start taking IRA, 401K, Pension distributions under normal circumstances. As you say, it's been upped from 70-1/2 recently.

rules are age dependent. call central states to be sure. after age 65 restrictions are eased but still smart to call and cover your back side
Central States Relaxed Rules say we can draw our pension and be a driver after age 66, but only if we drew the pension/retired for 12 consecutive months while NOT being in the Transportation Industry first. Then we can go back to driving.

Personally, I think that’s a bunch of crap! Pensions are deferred wages. We paid our dues working. After 65, we should be free to collect and do whatever we desire, IMO. But- Good Luck collecting if following my view On it….

In CSPF, you call them and tell them you are retired and will be working at a Federal, State, County or City Government job and they send you a form to fill out and you will get a letter of approval that they accept it as a government job. I did so at 62 to drive our Local school bus for 3 years until Medicare kicked in.

Yet another reason I prefer a 401k to a pension.
I get to control when I take it other than RMD plus if something were to happen to me, all of the $$$$ goes to my estate
I had a close friend who wasn't married and passed away prior to retiring, all his estate received was 60 payments. The remainder was kept by the union...

Yet another reason I prefer a 401k to a pension.
I get to control when I take it other than RMD plus if something were to happen to me, all of the $$$$ goes to my estate
I had a close friend who wasn't married and passed away prior to retiring, all his estate received was 60 payments. The remainder was kept by the union...
Correction, it wasn't kept by the union...it was kept by the fund....two different entities....but you know that...