FedEx Freight | Ground shipping

Update. So UPS store was closed. So against my better judgment we went to FedEx office. So the nice lady with rainbow colored glasses and masked up to prevent whatever waited on us.

$59 to ship ground or $74 to ship express. I didn't even hesitate when I said EXPRESS!

Weren’t we supposed to get 40 percent off shipping FedEx fir employees? Has that gone away at some point?

I've hauled for Express once. Didn't get to go inside the facility, but everyone I interacted with was very professional, and they seemed to have a good system. No experience with Ground.

My brother worked for UPS a while ago. They loaded the trailers by hand with loose packages. Express loads the packages into big aluminum containers, and load those on the trailer. Not sure how FXG does it. Loading lose packages seems highly inefficient.

I've seen more FXG trucks in ditches than UPS. UPS typically won't drive more than 46 MPH, while FXG blows past me so fast they almost take my mirrors off.
46, Good.
FedEx Ground, not good.

I've hauled for Express once. Didn't get to go inside the facility, but everyone I interacted with was very professional, and they seemed to have a good system. No experience with Ground.

My brother worked for UPS a while ago. They loaded the trailers by hand with loose packages. Express loads the packages into big aluminum containers, and load those on the trailer. Not sure how FXG does it. Loading lose packages seems highly inefficient.

I've seen more FXG trucks in ditches than UPS. UPS typically won't drive more than 46 MPH, while FXG blows past me so fast they almost take my mirrors off.

I've hauled for ground plenty. The people I dealt with were demanding, condescending and had a major superiority complex. I've never had good interactions with those people.

One time, I was running out of hours so I parked went into dispatch, gave them the paperwork and told them I was heading home. The dispatcher calls me back, I'm assuming there's an issue with the paperwork but she tells be she needs me to take another load to the ground facility local to us. I said there's no way I can do that and she says she's not paying me to bobtail home. Seriously. I tell her she's not paying me at all and the distance is pretty equal as my domicile is pretty much dead center of the two buildings and I don't have the time to drive by it and then back track home. She tells me to call my boss because I have to take it. I call central and simply say "good morning (dispatchers name) this is (my name) and I need to set up my trip from ABCD to EFG, I'll be bobtailing back" dispatcher says "got you all set up, have a good day and be safe". I hang up, tell her I'm going home and walk out.

Another time, I did a single run for them and they had the nerve to call me on my drive to domicile and tell me it wasn't enough. I said I was good with it and hung up.

They're used to dealing with contractors and intimidating them with threats of service numbers. They can shove that up their trailers and go somewhere with it. I avoided that place at all costs this year.

I've hauled for ground plenty. The people I dealt with were demanding, condescending and had a major superiority complex. I've never had good interactions with those people.

One time, I was running out of hours so I parked went into dispatch, gave them the paperwork and told them I was heading home. The dispatcher calls me back, I'm assuming there's an issue with the paperwork but she tells be she needs me to take another load to the ground facility local to us. I said there's no way I can do that and she says she's not paying me to bobtail home. Seriously. I tell her she's not paying me at all and the distance is pretty equal as my domicile is pretty much dead center of the two buildings and I don't have the time to drive by it and then back track home. She tells me to call my boss because I have to take it. I call central and simply say "good morning (dispatchers name) this is (my name) and I need to set up my trip from ABCD to EFG, I'll be bobtailing back" dispatcher says "got you all set up, have a good day and be safe". I hang up, tell her I'm going home and walk out.

Another time, I did a single run for them and they had the nerve to call me on my drive to domicile and tell me it wasn't enough. I said I was good with it and hung up.

They're used to dealing with contractors and intimidating them with threats of service numbers. They can shove that up their trailers and go somewhere with it. I avoided that place at all costs this year.
The one I run out of has been decent, now the word efficiency doesn't belong anywhere near them but they're all usually nice people, long as you run your bid out they don't give you any flak.

I've only had issues with ground once. It was rectified by chewy, but ground was useless in resolving the issue. They assured me it was left at the right house because of the GPS coordinates. I asked for the coordinates, but they couldn't share the information. I can know the exact physical address, but not the coordinates.

The neighbor that had my packages was an elderly man with bone cancer. He called FedEx and told them he had packages at his house that weren't his. After a week of back of forth with them, he knocked on my door to tell me he had my packages, but he couldn't lift them..I went and picked them up.

So, you have 2 people calling with the same tracking info and shipping address and they still can't solve it.

I'm considering having my FedEx packages delivered to Dollar General, but I don't trust them either. Maybe Walgreens, but that's a longer drive.
Here on the island, they take a picture of the porch where the package was delivered.
About half the time, it's the wrong porch.
The 29-year UPS driver has run this route for so long, he knows almost everyone by name.

The one I run out of has been decent, now the word efficiency doesn't belong anywhere near them but they're all usually nice people, long as you run your bid out they don't give you any flak.

I'd imagine the attitude varies by building, but the efficiency seems to be a constant. Lots of delay pay at ground.

Here on the island, they take a picture of the porch where the package was delivered.
About half the time, it's the wrong porch.
The 29-year UPS driver has run this route for so long, he knows almost everyone by name.

The picture thing is pretty new.

Just half the time? That guy is good :lmao::438:

When I ran ground, I knew the customers. It was pretty much always the same people ordering the same thing

Um don't think they have a facility in Nashville. Also it was two boxes lol
2 boxes for $74? That’s expensive unless they were oversize boxes

But yes express is definitely a bigger discount and if you have anything that fits in their packaging that says Express it’s also free

But wait guys.. ground already delivers express packages also sooooo….. you might get that same crappy delivery driver :lmao:

Yeah running for Ground Linehaul as a Freight driver is funny.. they will be first to send you home when they don’t have work but they want to demand you to do more when they can’t cover runs. F that. If the bid is a double turn that is all they’re getting out of me. Hell they don’t even see me on the last trip.. drop and run out of there

2 boxes for $74? That’s expensive unless they were oversize boxes

But yes express is definitely a bigger discount and if you have anything that fits in their packaging that says Express it’s also free

But wait guys.. ground already delivers express packages also sooooo….. you might get that same crappy delivery driver :lmao:
I thought of that, but at least 80% of the trip will be with someone that MIGHT care.

Yes they were oversized.

Ground is no better or worse than anyone. All companies have loss and damages. It’s a crap shoot. However if you want a realistic way to choose this is it. Go to pirateship.com and set up a free account. Then check their rates with ups. Insanely cheap. No idea how they get them but I have shipped a few larger items (air rifles) that were half price compared to fedex with our employee discount.

Most of what I order comes FXG. I’ve read the nightmare stories on Thumper Talk. Never had an issue. Kentucky to Michigan in two days every time.

Ground is no better or worse than anyone. All companies have loss and damages. It’s a crap shoot. However if you want a realistic way to choose this is it. Go to pirateship.com and set up a free account. Then check their rates with ups. Insanely cheap. No idea how they get them but I have shipped a few larger items (air rifles) that were half price compared to fedex with our employee discount.

I use Pirateship a lot. You get the USPS commercial rate, and it's completely free to use.

Can't say I've had a negative experience getting stuff delivered to my house via ground.
My recent experience with ground was as follows…
I’m off a few days So I’m in the garage messing around cleaning up and organizing. And a UPS package car stops in the street and a 30-35 (in shape and and looking professional)yo guy pops out with a package. He then jogs up my driveway and says good morning with a smile hands the package to me and I say thank you. He then jogs back down to his package car and away he goes.
About 30 mins later FedEx ground in the same size truck rolls up my driveway fumbles around in the truck for about 2 mins then a 30-35 yo fat guy with a beard waddles up to the open garage door and doesn’t say a word just drops the package on the ground about 8 ft I front of me. He saw me I was right there looking at him. He said nothing just shuffled about 12 ft back to his package car and backs down driveway and that’s it.
Which experience would most people view as positive? I work at FDX what an embarrassment.

I have had the same , even showed my badge one time , even better ...
Sitting in back the door everyone uses (we never open or use our front steps , porch , door) It says in red paint stay off please , del at back door. The dope sets the box on Mrs.'s note written on the
concrete and waves at us when I was like , hey was that del for us ? (You could hear it knocking hard it's doubtful there was any oil in that motor at all . :duh: )