ODFL | Hiring in Greensboro NC road driver

BradBear

TB Lurker
Credits
Application in for road driver out of the Greensboro NC terminal. Do they layoff and do they over hire and leave you sitting at home. Thanks for any input

I see they are seeking for Linehaul out of Charlotte. Anyone have any idea on what runs they have there?
I used to meet Charlotte in Williamsburg Kentucky and that was their longest run. I know they ran Atlanta, Greensboro, Morristown and the few meets I also knew of were near Savannah and in Virginia. The guys I used to meet out of Charlotte seemed to be happy there.

I used to meet Charlotte in Williamsburg Kentucky and that was their longest run. I know they ran Atlanta, Greensboro, Morristown and the few meets I also knew of were near Savannah and in Virginia. The guys I used to meet out of Charlotte seemed to be happy there.
Thanks for the info driver. I appreciate that

OD has a huge linehaul board there. I know you were looking at Estes as well. If you want a bid run eventually I’d be willing to bet you’d get it a lot quicker at Estes Greensboro than OD.
Exactly,feel Sorry for all the one's that are leaving good jobs to be part of the green team.Things start slowing up and you will be starved till you fall off the green wave .Stay away from the break bulk's and you will be alot more happier

I've been at OD(Greensboro term) since the very beginning of Nov. I can tell you this, all you will do is the North East! I'm not telling you this to scare you, they will tell you upfront. Amazing they don't have very many drivers up here to cover the freight they have. You will start late in the afternoon/early evening (say 3-5 pm) but they are good at having you ready a little earlier usually. So far, the money has been great(you get a 'NE premium' which is everything you run north of MD/PA state lines...so that's a very good thing)...the only problem I'm starting to see is getting home. I put in my hometime everyweek, like you're suppose to when you leave, but they try to keep me out. Sure I'm a productive driver(on days I can be, not running around NYC), but it seems when I have a really good day and I should be heading south for hometime, they want to send me in the opposite direction. Also, 3 times they tried to plan my day that you couldn't legally do. Meaning, almost 700 miles in 11 hours IN AND AROUND NYC traffic. That's impossible! Sure, I've done 700 miles before in a 65 mph truck(not here), but a) I wasn't near NYC and b) I made sure I was through any major city very early in the am(1-2). I have a friend whose been here for 7 years and loves it. Although his first 4 all he did was the NE, until he switched to team. He's always been a 'team driver' ever since I've known him(10 years) and my very first company I started at, he was a trainer since they got rid of teams and he didn't want to team at OD until he started meeting some of the guys to see who would be the best fit for him. Now, I'm NOT saying I don't like it here, but I just wish after 2 months they would make sure I got home for my 34 or '2 days off' as they put it.

and as I mentioned yesterday.....whoever is the planner needs to share the stuff he's smoking! Started in WOR, went to SPL, then they wanted me to go to GBO(hometime).....which is impossible! So, ended up dropping in HAR, then onto WAY, but 81 got shut down due to accident and ended up dropping in WIN. This winter really, REALLY SUCKS, I can't get anything done at all!!!! I've heard of drivers running from GBO all the way to SWD, but everything has to be just perfect for it to actually work. Which it won't 9/10 tries. Here's to hoping I make it to GBO tomorrow early morning, considering there's ANOTHER storm hitting tomorrow. All I need to do is reset and hopefully start a normal week.

and as I mentioned yesterday.....whoever is the planner needs to share the stuff he's smoking! Started in WOR, went to SPL, then they wanted me to go to GBO(hometime).....which is impossible! So, ended up dropping in HAR, then onto WAY, but 81 got shut down due to accident and ended up dropping in WIN. This winter really, REALLY SUCKS, I can't get anything done at all!!!! I've heard of drivers running from GBO all the way to SWD, but everything has to be just perfect for it to actually work. Which it won't 9/10 tries. Here's to hoping I make it to GBO tomorrow early morning, considering there's ANOTHER storm hitting tomorrow. All I need to do is reset and hopefully start a normal week.
Estes wasn’t so bad after all was it ? That sounds like a real pain.

Estes wasn’t so bad after all was it ? That sounds like a real pain.
I loved working at Estes, but doubtful I'll be hired back....no worries. The storms are not OD fault, it's that damn mother nature. I will admit though. The hotels t OD are WAY BETTER than the ones I used at Estes. I haven't had 1 bed bug bite. I never had that problem, in my life, until I worked at Estes.

I loved working at Estes, but doubtful I'll be hired back....no worries. The storms are not OD fault, it's that damn mother nature. I will admit though. The hotels t OD are WAY BETTER than the ones I used at Estes. I haven't had 1 bed bug bite. I never had that problem, in my life, until I worked at Estes.
Where do you stay in Jersey City?

Do newbies in Linehaul run system or are you home daily?
At my terminal new guys do overnight “bag runs” sometimes. That’s all I wanted to do when I started. I called central every Thursday so I’d have runs all weekend. Didn’t mind motels if I got work. But, mostly until you get a bid. You’ll be filling in for bid drivers who are on vacation, or taking a day off. However, if you want to work as a newbi on line haul. You want those longer bag runs. Because their longer. You are guaranteed two runs. You gotta come back. I’ve been on the same bid 8 years. 652 miles a night. But I was running 3000 a week taking bag runs as a wild driver when I started.