Holland | Hiring in Louisville.....

In Kansas City they can't enough qualified drivers to come apply right now for the city position. We supposedly have the customers waiting on standby because of lack of drivers. Added couple of road drivers here recently and looking for more last heard.

REALGEARJAMMER said:
wilkes brarre just hired two city drivers.and two part time dock workers.
"Two part time dock workers", what is a part time dock worker? Do you mean a "dock only" casual? We now have 5 "dock only" casuals (no CDL) and 5 combo casuals (with CDL and haz-mat) working at our barn. They posted crossover sheets for 6 line haul and 6 city jobs last week. We are doing on average about .5 million pounds less, per day, this year than we did last year and nobody can figure out why they are hiring so many workers so late in the year, especially all at once. Any ideals why?:watsup: :watsup: :watsup: :watsup:

I haven't seen the numbers since we got bought. We don't seem to be as busy as the hiring would indicate. We used to get forced overtime every day for a couple of months before they would hire anyone.
I think we have 3 or 4 city men on letters.
Several dock only casuals. I tdon't think we have any cdl qualified casuals as they seem to be hiring any they come across.

In Erie (North East) we just hired a full time city and a part time casual. He has worked ever day though. Don’t understand that, if he works every day doesn’t that mean he is working full time? Also heard they are going to hire more for the city and road, go figure!!

Casuals

Stimpy said:
In Erie (North East) we just hired a full time city and a part time casual. He has worked ever day though. Don’t understand that, if he works every day doesn’t that mean he is working full time? Also heard they are going to hire more for the city and road, go figure!!
Here in Chicago ,Casuals are allowed as fill ins for vacation,sick calls ,OJI's ETC.We have some casuals that have been on several years ,Oh I don't work for USF,But Just FYI.
I do work in a union shop ..

Part time Benny means less than 8 hr day. Allowed in by Dan V I believe. Its what we went on strike for in what 94? No bennies. NMFA? A joke!

Mike432 said:
Here in Chicago ,Casuals are allowed as fill ins for vacation,sick calls ,OJI's ETC.We have some casuals that have been on several years ,Oh I don't work for USF,But Just FYI.
I do work in a union shop ..

So, that means your casuals have a CDL?? Our part timers are dock only, have no CDL. They are not allowed to touch a truck for no reason at all. They do help keep the over time down, I would rather see them hire qualified people to do it all and build our membership. After all I would gain some more seniority. Not that it matters to the company, they just see cheap labor cost.:bicycle:

Hireing what do you mean hireing we have fifteen road drivers layed off and they keep laying the bottom three city men off they get right back on and they lay them off again.That must be why at ten oclock at night most of the road drivers are from somewhere else.We have as much freight as we ever had.They tell us we have to do more with less maybe its only in the southern states.

Hireing what do you mean hireing we have fifteen road drivers layed off and they keep laying the bottom three city men off they get right back on and they lay them off again.That must be why at ten oclock at night most of the road drivers are from somewhere else.We have as much freight as we ever had.They tell us we have to do more with less maybe its only in the southern states.

No it is happening up north also!! We have a set amount of city drivers that they are allowed to use it sucks really sucks. Best wishes to those on layoff. :smilie_132:

OK I guess I have to be specific I ment When are they going to hire (bring layoff back)? Because the way I see it, if im layed off means I dont have a job so if they hire, means they're hiring me back....:horse:

to be honest, really don't see them hiring or bringing back anyone soon, if ever. i hope that i'm proven wrong, i really do, but things do not look good.