FedEx Freight | Hot Button Topic: How Should Layoffs Be Done

I say force out the guys who r old enough to retire and that r already recieving social security and medicare. That will save alot of jobs and keep from having layoffs but thats my opionion

Not a chance, let them stay as long as they want....

I say force out the guys who r old enough to retire and that r already recieving social security and medicare. That will save alot of jobs and keep from having layoffs but thats my opionion

I wouldn't go that far.... If I were trying to get the senior guys to retire early to save on layoffs of the newer workforce, I would cut them a check for retiring early, of course it probably would not be at full pay, but something to make it worth their while and save me a few bucks in the long run. If they didn't want to, that's fine. They have the right to work the rest of their time out, they've put plenty of it in that's for sure. Don't just go kicking the old guys out... They deserve to stick around if they want..

I do however think it is kind of screwed up that once you switch job classes, you lose all of your seniority. But i would guess those are the targets for layoffs once initiated. Low man in job class making top pay scale if transferred from line to city.

To Dirttracker,
I don't know the truth behind this, but i've been noticing that Drivers take seniority over dock no matter what the experience (6 month driver to 16 year Dockworker). Drivers can work the dock, *most* dock can't drive CDL rigs. That and at my terminal, we have 6 drivers rotating on the dock and we all have priority to get hours over the dockworkers because they are all supplemental now.

After reading all replies to this topic, I say that the laziest ones get to sit home. Regardles of seniority! That word makes me want to projectile vomit! If you know of a less than efficent driver at your center, and there's one below him that can do the job better. Let the better one do the job. It might just make the ones who like to just "glide & slide" work a little bit better, and harder if they though they were going to be pulled out of the line-up and set home.

Oh now I know this is really going to irritate :flame: some of you out there, and I am sorry for stateing my oppinion here. But just think about it for a bit before you start sending me hate mail.:Flame-On:

I'm saying that you keep your spot in line for vacations, and time off. But if your not as productive as someone else is at the same route. You can stay home and watch Okra, or Maury Povitch, or a Jack LaLane info-mercial . Why the very thought of you haveing to sit at home and worry about how to make ends meet, should be enough of a wake-up call. Besides, where is it written that workers are entitled to 8 hours? ( Honestly, I hear it all the time, but I can't find it in print).

I'm really only refering to the ones who go out and just do enough to get by, and not have to answer to anything types. We all know of their exsitence, we can't say that there is no one here like that. Because there is! But let's stick up for them because of "senority". That sounds an awful lot like a "union".:eck15:

If FedEx did a driver/worker review on productivity every couple months. I believe you would see people really start careing about their job. Makeing gate, paper work in order, timely and efficently serviceing the customers. It all adds up.

I guess all your time with the company should not matter what city route you get to bid on. What kind of nonsense is this. That is what seniority is for. I guess you would prefer to let management decide who their pet is and let them decide who is going where. If management was doing their job in the first place their should not be someone not doing their job efficiently if they have alot of time in the company. Without seniority for all company duties I would hate to see how many brown nosers would be getting the best of the best! Company seniority is just about the most important thing about your job, period!!!

seniority layoffs and newhires are safe

I think that layoffs should be handled with respect! Laying off road drivers with 10-15 years with the company and city drivers with only 1-3 years seem to be safe with their job. Whats wrong with this picture? How many road drivers got laid off at CLT with years & years of dedicated service while city drivers with only a couple of years are safe. They should place the lowest seniority road drivers to be laid off back into the city in their senoirity spot, and let the very lowest senoirity drivers go. After all, this is company convenience, not driver choice.I dont want to see anyone lose their job but fair is fair. God bless those who have lost it.

One seniority board would solve the problem, we can't expect them to let road drivers bump to the city with their seniority if city drivers can't bump to the road with theirs Both are a company decision, they need a driver for the road or they need to remove a driver from the road.... everything done here is a company decision

formeremployee

As a former employee last I had a gut feeling this was going to happen. In the new 50 million Portland service that Fed Ex Freight pays 45,000 a month lease. The managers in POR are well trained, and can't handle upper management pressure. Management acted like they didn't what us around. One operations manager has a lawsuit pending so games are being played out in POR. One dispatcher is clueless.

Do you PD/ Line drivers like hooking your own sets now in POR? Speed loaning freight that is not sucured and loaded correctly for the route? Do you guys like re bidding every month now? Part-time is better? Don't think do. Take the $3000 dollars and unemployment.

Just wait until the freight levels improve. Watch OUT

As a former employee last I had a gut feeling this was going to happen. In the new 50 million Portland service that Fed Ex Freight pays 45,000 a month lease. The managers in POR are well trained, and can't handle upper management pressure. Management acted like they didn't what us around. One operations manager has a lawsuit pending so games are being played out in POR. One dispatcher is clueless.

Do you PD/ Line drivers like hooking your own sets now in POR? Speed loaning freight that is not sucured and loaded correctly for the route? Do you guys like re bidding every month now? Part-time is better? Don't think do. Take the $3000 dollars and unemployment.

Just wait until the freight levels improve. Watch OUT

formeremployee :clap:

Welcome to Truckingboards.

I'm sure that if freight levels increase then the pressure from upper management to reduce costs should diminish somewhat.
As a road driver I rather hook my own sets instead of having a yard dog doing it. This way I can shop around for the appropiate gear and I know I won't have a high hook. I just wished these drivers would learn not to drop the trailers so high that then you have to lower the landing gear when loaded before you can back up the gear, especially when using an old west gear that rides much lower than the east gears with the BIG tires.

:shift:

formeremployee :clap:

Welcome to Truckingboards.

I'm sure that if freight levels increase then the pressure from upper management to reduce costs should diminish somewhat.
As a road driver I rather hook my own sets instead of having a yard dog doing it. This way I can shop around for the appropiate gear and I know I won't have a high hook. I just wished these drivers would learn not to drop the trailers so high that then you have to lower the landing gear when loaded before you can back up the gear, especially when using an old west gear that rides much lower than the east gears with the BIG tires.

:shift:
Come On River,
You Know the the New Rules,No Dumping of the Airbags,Just leave the Trailer up 6" to High,And dont forget to Leave Youre Tractor Parked in Gear when you Shut it Off