FedEx Freight | Hot Button Topic: How Should Layoffs Be Done

Laying off by company seniority

I agree with the company seniority,I would also like to add..That when laying off at a center...I think everyone at the center should be considered as one board and lay off the lowest company seniority man respectively. I am just saying...there is no job security here if it isn't done this way. Atleast give the road driver or city driver whichever the case may be...the option to take the job if they so desire...I think company seniority is the only way...and I think it should be as a WHOLE CENTER! Why should a man that has put 6 years in the city,went to the road,and has 4 years on the road....TEN yrs total.....be out of a job before Joe Blow that has 6-12 MONTHS company time in? I mean c'mon! They say people first,well,not how I have seen things go down here in Texas...FTW , as one example ,has been shafted over and over. :nutkick:

I agree with the company seniority,I would also like to add..That when laying off at a center...I think everyone at the center should be considered as one board and lay off the lowest company seniority man respectively. I am just saying...there is no job security here if it isn't done this way. Atleast give the road driver or city driver whichever the case may be...the option to take the job if they so desire...I think company seniority is the only way...and I think it should be as a WHOLE CENTER! Why should a man that has put 6 years in the city,went to the road,and has 4 years on the road....TEN yrs total.....be out of a job before Joe Blow that has 6-12 MONTHS company time in? I mean c'mon! They say people first,well,not how I have seen things go down here in Texas...FTW , as one example ,has been shafted over and over. :nutkick:

Good points, but why should seniority end at the center? We don't work for the center, we work for the company. If there is still work at a center 80 miles away, or if I'm willing to relocate, shouldn't I have that option as well?

I think so!

I think everyone should be laid off except me and I should get all the runs and miles at my center and maybe yours too, just strap me in to Fred's truck and hook up an inter venous drip of caffeine. I'm good to go...

FM

If layoffs are suppose to go by company senority why is it that guys on the Little Rock dock with over 15yrs get canned and someone with less time gets to keep his job by bumping them out even though they are in a different job class? Sounds like some more of that ever changing we make the rules up different every day stuff.
:duh:

If layoffs are suppose to go by company senority why is it that guys on the Little Rock dock with over 15yrs get canned and someone with less time gets to keep his job by bumping them out even though they are in a different job class? Sounds like some more of that ever changing we make the rules up different every day stuff.

popasmurf

Do those dock guys have a CDL. These day's, If you don't have a CDL, you're pretty much looking for a job.

layoff"s and driver"s sitting home and cant pay there bill"s and the purchase driver"s are still rolling. you think fedex will try to make freight like ground where you purchase the route from fedex but they dont buy your fuel,insurance,health insurance? fedex ground is making billions the way they are operating so there might be a little owner operator in all of us before this mess gets straighten out. what"s all the fedex ground van"s for? fedx ground also building new terminal"s and they are large terminals//////////

layoff"s and driver"s sitting home and cant pay there bill"s and the purchase driver"s are still rolling. you think fedex will try to make freight like ground where you purchase the route from fedex but they dont buy your fuel,insurance,health insurance? fedex ground is making billions the way they are operating so there might be a little owner operator in all of us before this mess gets straighten out. what"s all the fedex ground van"s for? fedx ground also building new terminal"s and they are large terminals//////////
stop right now you are giving some one ideas that we don;t need

I think everyone should be laid off except me and I should get all the runs and miles at my center and maybe yours too, just strap me in to Fred's truck and hook up an inter venous drip of caffeine. I'm good to go...

FM
Thanx FM. I was just reading along, eyes gett'n droopy, slobber filling nooks & crannies in keyboard, when I read this.
Laugh out Loud( spelling it out is for us old timers ).Made my morning.

I think it should go by dom. seniority people transfer in and that's not fair to the people that started there. NO one asked them to come there that's a chance you take when transfer.

We've been told that as long as frt. levels don't fall further we should be able to hold the line. And since frt. levels usually improve over the next month or 2, we should be good. Just what we've been told by Center Manager, so take it for what it's worth.

It does make sense that the market would really have to tank a lot more for freight levels over the next couple months to be less than the past couple... Historically speaking, anyway.

thank you for the reply SR I have only been with the comp. for 2.5 years so its nice when someone answers a concern not try's being a mouth. thank you again.

folks open your eyes and start to look around, and stop listening to the news.you will start to notice things starting to come around.i'm starting to see more 30 temp tags on cars, mostly new ones, i havent seen 30 day tags in 6-8 months.More people starting to crowd stores,restaurants that i have been to or seen are very croweded.My friends wife works for a realtor she says her boss has 20 new listings over he last 7 weeks, has five of those closing in march.agents in her office that havent been to the office in 4 months have been coming back to work over the last 5 weeks, and they are excited about what they see.look for the little clues for yourself and stop listening to the doom and gloom news,it make a better story for them if the world is ending!there will be a lag of 3-4 months for the news to report anything good that is happening now.i look on our dock and am seeing more freight covering it,by no means is it overflowing but it is noteicable.the little things might add up to something good happening.Frunkussss!

I worked 4 500+ mile runs last week and could have had 5
I think things may turn around soon like it always does, I am not saying it is gonna be wide open but hopefully everybody can pay the bills and save some money and get debt free to avoid this stress they put on themselves in the future.

I worked 4 500+ mile runs last week and could have had 5
I think things may turn around soon like it always does, I am not saying it is gonna be wide open but hopefully everybody can pay the bills and save some money and get debt free to avoid this stress they put on themselves in the future.
I'm all for that!!:bowdown:

FM

I'm all for that!!:bowdown:

FM

there is nothing better to fall back on in hard times than cash.... and knowing when you don't have money coming in, you don't have it going out either.

Life is simple, spend less than you make. :bowdown:

Lazy ones first.

After reading all replies to this topic, I say that the laziest ones get to sit home. Regardles of seniority! That word makes me want to projectile vomit! If you know of a less than efficent driver at your center, and there's one below him that can do the job better. Let the better one do the job. It might just make the ones who like to just "glide & slide" work a little bit better, and harder if they though they were going to be pulled out of the line-up and set home.

Oh now I know this is really going to irritate :flame: some of you out there, and I am sorry for stateing my oppinion here. But just think about it for a bit before you start sending me hate mail.:Flame-On:

I'm saying that you keep your spot in line for vacations, and time off. But if your not as productive as someone else is at the same route. You can stay home and watch Okra, or Maury Povitch, or a Jack LaLane info-mercial . Why the very thought of you haveing to sit at home and worry about how to make ends meet, should be enough of a wake-up call. Besides, where is it written that workers are entitled to 8 hours? ( Honestly, I hear it all the time, but I can't find it in print).

I'm really only refering to the ones who go out and just do enough to get by, and not have to answer to anything types. We all know of their exsitence, we can't say that there is no one here like that. Because there is! But let's stick up for them because of "senority". That sounds an awful lot like a "union".:eck15:

If FedEx did a driver/worker review on productivity every couple months. I believe you would see people really start careing about their job. Makeing gate, paper work in order, timely and efficently serviceing the customers. It all adds up.

i see the thinking that goes into these polls. layoff in company seniorty and not job class. looks like poll is leaning company seniorty, pure stupity. so what were saying here is road man gets laid off so a unqualified dock man is suppose to take his place until recalled to work. dont think that will work out to good. but of course lets think about who were polling here.

I say force out the guys who r old enough to retire and that r already recieving social security and medicare. That will save alot of jobs and keep from having layoffs but thats my opionion