FedEx Freight | Hot Button Topic -Top Road Drivers Feel No Economic Pain

Good way to rip a company apart. The top have earned their senority. Let senority count with job postings , vacation schedules, or other bennies, but that shouldn't mean that they are immune to losing time. The only fair way to spread the pain is to rotate the cut days amongst everyone.

My opinion of what is fair....4 yrs ago fedex went down the road and looked at doing a 1 board senority and they announced the results and would only benefit only 20% of employees. So they decided to leave the policy alone. As you know we 've never had an econimic layoff like we have now....vice-president told us we can't have our cake and eat it too. If you look in your road driver manual you will see that if there is an economic layoff in your classification they will go by company senority. But if there is a reconfiguration like maybe coming soon the men who have 16 years senority and only have 2 or 3 yrs road senority will be out the door if somebody with more road senority dovetails into your customer center. So nnow while the guys that got laid off are hurting and the guys that moved up are laughing if the reconfiguration comes then you can listen to them cry because they'll be out of a job and on the street. (NOW YOU SEE THE BIG PICTURE) In the 1990's no city driver wanted to come to the road because they were home every night and still got 10 to 20 hrs overtime every week and were making more money than road drivers who were gone 1 to 2 weeks over the road before they got home. Then when we went to shuttle system the road drivers were home every day. Then the city drivers wanted to be road drivers because they were home every day and made big money too because all the city drivers got their overtime cut. So while I feel your pain you just need to get the big picture. Company policy is company policy...period.

roadhog69 said:
In the 1990's no city driver wanted to come to the road because they were home every night and still got 10 to 20 hrs overtime every week and were making more money than road drivers who were gone 1 to 2 weeks over the road before they got home.

Nice, partially true story... Except for this slightly exagerated portion.

City getting10-20 hours OT every week??:wtflol: Road gone 1-2 weeks at a time? :wtflol:

While it may have happened very rarely, it was never the norm...EVER! But it does shed some light on how we ended up with a significant pay difference between road and city. Most road bids were night time lay downs, justifying a higher pay rate.

Since this is no longer the case, does it still justify the difference? Shouldn't PM runs still deserve a premium pay rate over city and/or AM runs? DO day runs still deserve the same premium? And if so, why?

City getting10-20 hours OT every week??:wtflol: Road gone 1-2 weeks at a time? :wtflol:

While it may have happened very rarely, it was never the norm...EVER! But it does shed some light on how we ended up with a significant pay difference between road and city. Most road bids were night time lay downs, justifying a higher pay rate.

Since this is no longer the case, does it still justify the difference? Shouldn't PM runs still deserve a premium pay rate over city and/or AM runs? DO day runs still deserve the same premium? And if so, why?

them courageous road drivers back then also had to walk 10 miles to work uphill both ways everyday.

Ok lets close this thread, the "Right place at the right time drivers" are far superior to us ex city guys.

Actually, when I started it was the norm, and at the end of a 12 hr shift they still didn't want to let you go...... man to have it that rough again huh?? Some would kill for it right now.

FM

I recall getting 10-12 sometimes... And Yes I do rememeber them trying to get us to stay and help out on the dock after 10 or more, But I don't ever recall 20 hours OT or even 10 every week... Some weeks yes... I guess maybe it depends on where you were back then.

I know when I started ('91) OT didn't even kick in till 46 hours, I think it was... Or was it 48?

Also weren't the only road guys out all week, extra board?

I can understand drivers feeelings and companies love it when they pit you all against each other as it keeps you from directing the frustration at them (the right place).Most of us started at the bottom and endured layoffs,lock outs and so forth for many years till one day the guy above me fell over dead at 54 and lo and behold I was #1. Then everyone wants to know when you are retiring !!. As to spreading the time around we (top half of small board) proposed to the company that we all go on three day work weeks which they refused. They did not want to pay benefits for them to work partial week and continued to work dock men 65-70 hours and road men 6 days a week. We didn't like it any more than bottom laid off men. This occured 30-40 years ago and still continues,however this recession is very deep and is affecting all spectrums of our work force not just drivers. Please endure and come out stronger,don't take it out on each other.

Iam at very small center,its only 2 linehaul drivers here.Iam no2,Ive only been hear 7 months.I work everyday,not full days lately .Iam on a meet and turn,I see that Iam very lucking to be working everyday.So there are guys at the bottom who do work everyday,I do pray for all you guys,that are hurting.

Jdk 1600 and Snowdog, you guys have good points. Why the company does what it does is anybodys guess. I just got to the point of doing my job to the best of my ability and what is expected of me. I can't rattle my head on what these guys are gonna to do next. My new way of looking at this company is to sit back and watch to see what is coming down the road next.:popcorn:

im a top road driver and been on the bottom once. i don't mind taken knights off for a JR guy or girl as long as they help them self, we got guy's that get cut and refuse dock work , im not gona loose a day's pay for someone that don't wana help themself. all they wana do is drive.