TForce | How about an equipment appearance policy?

That's odd I've duct tape on tractors but never on the vans. Sounds like that story is a little stretched.:hysterical:

Nope, I had one last week. Guess running the wiring for the trailer on the inside is too much of a hassle. So just duct tape it to the exterior wall. At least you would think that they would get creative and use reflective tape!!! Sad.....very sad.

• I've pulled vans with duct tape and that waterproof mirror type tape.
  • I've seen the airlines hanging by the front of the rear wheels attached with old plastic banding straps.
  • Crank handle holders make out of metal bands and or zip ties.
  • Crank handles too short that they bang into the side of the trailer when raising or lowering the legs.
  • Mis-matched wheels.
  • Placard stickers used to repair roof leaks.

......too much to list!

• I've pulled vans with duct tape and that waterproof mirror type tape.
  • I've seen the airlines hanging by the front of the rear wheels attached with old plastic banding straps.
  • Crank handle holders make out of metal bands and or zip ties.
  • Crank handles too short that they bang into the side of the trailer when raising or lowering the legs.
  • Mis-matched wheels.
  • Placard stickers used to repair roof leaks.
......too much to list!

I wonder when this will come to an end #1, And I wonder when we will be taking some new equipment in?

I wonder when this will come to an end #1, And I wonder when we will be taking some new equipment in?

Coming from a micromanaged company, I can see the difference in how equipment is kept.

We have no progressive discipline,supervisors or managers who will hold people accountable for damages.
If you write it up as fresh damage no one gets written-up unless it's something rather large and management seems to turn away from further investigation on the minor things.

No one seems to care if they get a ding, scratch, 10 foot long trailer scrape.
Sooner or later those dents and dings add up and make a trailer look like pooh.

I have seen fresh damage on a daily basis while working for UPSF and nothing is done other than running the equipment to the ground, patching it up and calling a stupid meeting with idle write-up threats.

If people were held accountable, maybe the damages would start to decrease.

Our newly rebranded trailers are starting to look like crap.

I wish I could offer you guys some hope and say things will get better, but they probably won't. I've worked for UPS for over three decades. Things are the worst they have ever been. Dirty equitment is just the most publicly noticeable of its problems. I'm afraid you picked a bad time to join (be drafted into) the UPS Family.

A third of my job is washing package cars. The carwash operation has been squeezed more and more every year. It just keeps getting worse. The bosses see the dirty cars because they walk past them several times a day. Sure, they would like them to be clean, but only if it could happen magically. Not if it involves paying out actual money and having an employee's carwash hours show up on their report. They don't seem to understand that these package cars are traveling UPS billboards. And that clean cars are also a motivator to the people that drive them.

I can usually keep my 27 cars more or less presentable, if the weather cooperates, but it's not easy fighting the system to get it done. During the winter months, here in New England, I have to raise the white flag of surrender and admit defeat.

Coming from a micromanaged company, I can see the difference in how equipment is kept.

We have no progressive discipline,supervisors or managers who will hold people accountable for damages.
If you write it up as fresh damage no one gets written-up unless it's something rather large and management seems to turn away from further investigation on the minor things.

No one seems to care if they get a ding, scratch, 10 foot long trailer scrape.
Sooner or later those dents and dings add up and make a trailer look like pooh.

I have seen fresh damage on a daily basis while working for UPSF and nothing is done other than running the equipment to the ground, patching it up and calling a stupid meeting with idle write-up threats.

If people were held accountable, maybe the damages would start to decrease.

Our newly rebranded trailers are starting to look like crap.

We were mocromanaged to a degree with "O" but if this is the bottom line with UPSF it is a joke, I guess we have to work a little harder to keep the mothership floating.

We were mocromanaged to a degree with "O" but if this is the bottom line with UPSF it is a joke, I guess we have to work a little harder to keep the mothership floating.

I noticed our supervisors announcing that we were going to be held accountable for our actions the day after we became part of the Horsemen club. They keep saying it over and over again.
When their job starts producing stress, they get side tracked and forget everything about holding us accountable.
It's not very hard to be safe or follow policy. It's the low level supervision/management that are dropping the ball with their yo-yo threats.
They have no true progressive disciplinary action plan intact other than to suspend/terminate you and than have you come back with back pay.
Hell....thats a vacation right there!

As far as getting equipment repaired. I've been waiting over 2 months and I am getting sick and tired of writing up the same crap.
I am seriously going to deadline every piece of crap I use.
When are they going to squeeze out the last juices of the "O" mentality?

I noticed our supervisors announcing that we were going to be held accountable for our actions the day after we became part of the Horsemen club. They keep saying it over and over again.
When their job starts producing stress, they get side tracked and forget everything about holding us accountable.
It's not very hard to be safe or follow policy. It's the low level supervision/management that are dropping the ball with their yo-yo threats.
They have no true progressive disciplinary action plan intact other than to suspend/terminate you and than have you come back with back pay.
Hell....thats a vacation right there!

As far as getting equipment repaired. I've been waiting over 2 months and I am getting sick and tired of writing up the same crap.
I am seriously going to deadline every piece of crap I use.
When are they going to squeeze out the last juices of the "O" mentality?

You may have a better chance of seeing JESUS at this point, from what I understand, they realize there is a problem not only with mechanics ( a lack thereof) but qualified technicians, and the parafanailia they need in order to perform.

From what I understand they too are going, or are union, it is a question of what comes out of thier contract, and then and only then at this point will something change, and hopefully for the better.

They too are overworked, and maybe they can squeze a few more MR. fixit shops out of the company too relieve the pressure, and have a avanue of getting new parts, hopefully better then the avanue we have currently.

You may have a better chance of seeing JESUS at this point, from what I understand, they realize there is a problem not only with mechanics ( a lack thereof) but qualified technicians, and the parafanailia they need in order to perform.

From what I understand they too are going, or are union, it is a question of what comes out of thier contract, and then and only then at this point will something change, and hopefully for the better.

They too are overworked, and maybe they can squeze a few more MR. fixit shops out of the company too relieve the pressure, and have a avanue of getting new parts, hopefully better then the avanue we have currently.

Yes sir I agree.:1036316054:
It seems UPS has some kind of choke hold on what can and can't be done and how much mechanics can and can't do to equipment.
Pretty soon, with all the accumulation of dirt, grease and age of our equipment, we might just start seeing images of Jesus or the crying Virgin Mary.

It is understandable that most of the equipment that we operate everyday needs attention. Some of the drivers and myself are really to the point that we will bring these issues up to the proper authorities. Having all of this crap that we operate should be put out of service immediately. On top of that, The fines for the company would be a devastating impact on them.

Yes sir I agree.:1036316054:
It seems UPS has some kind of choke hold on what can and can't be done and how much mechanics can and can't do to equipment.
Pretty soon, with all the accumulation of dirt, grease and age of our equipment, we might just start seeing images of Jesus or the crying Virgin Mary.

Yes , I have considered freewheeling often in my career.:smilie_132: I will never forget when my right sideTandems passed me on the highway a few years back on an old 92 series trailer, I was curious where the hell they came from when I saw them pass me in my passengers side window, when I stopped I found out, thankfully I was empty.

Private contractor

I was making a delivery in a motor cargo reefer liftgate and matching city tractor and along comes a ups package driver in a bobtail . After a little small talk he asks me if I am a private contactor for ups. When I tell him I am a company driver he goes speechless and his eyes glazed over .:clap::

I was making a delivery in a motor cargo reefer liftgate and matching city tractor and along comes a ups package driver in a bobtail . After a little small talk he asks me if I am a private contactor for ups. When I tell him I am a company driver he goes speechless and his eyes glazed over .:clap::

Did you tell him the reefer was for a temperature controlled 54 lb. box that needed a liftgate?:hysterical: