ODFL | How GOOD is your PRETRIP

Does the Dolly have the necessary lighting....think not, read 393.25
6Ls3Ztz.jpg
Are you saying we can't pull dollies because of the lights?

Another question for the drivers that pull doubles/triples.
You checked for air flow to the rear trailer opening and closing red shut off valve. You checked for air leaks by supplying air to trailers and stepped on brake pedal to also check for leaks (audible and loss of air pressure in gauges). You noticed air pressure drop rather fast on the service side, how do you find out where the leak is ?

Buy yerself a $3.00 snow brush... One end on the brake pedal, the other on the front of the seat cushion. Can verify that you actually have operable brake lights as a bonus...

True...State laws do need to be met, but Federal Laws have to be met before State Laws.
See above or read FMCSR 393.25.
As far has hooking up the red line and supplying air, yes. This pushes out the ram and supplies air to the Dolly and if the Dolly breaks away the brakes go on.
Also Safety Chain to be used.
Blue line hooked up, but valve closed. You do not want any braking on the Dolly during normal brake applications.
Electrical line hooked up also.
Electric and air lines that were going to next trailer.....secured/stowed.
The jiff is considered to be a trailer if it's the last vehicle being towed, and must have functional lighting and breakaway brakes. It's usually allowed behind a trailer, some places require a pintle/ram setup on the tow vehicle and tractors rarely have that.

I know it's legal in all Canadian provinces, for those of you who cross the border. Only a set of turnpike doubles or a set of triples may not tow a dolly behind as it's too long, but Rocky Mountain doubles and conventional doubles can. This is handy for repositioning equipment.

The jiff is considered to be a trailer if it's the last vehicle being towed, and must have functional lighting and breakaway brakes. It's usually allowed behind a trailer, some places require a pintle/ram setup on the tow vehicle and tractors rarely have that.

I know it's legal in all Canadian provinces, for those of you who cross the border. Only a set of turnpike doubles or a set of triples may not tow a dolly behind as it's too long, but Rocky Mountain doubles and conventional doubles can. This is handy for repositioning equipment.
depends on what state and how they define the dolly/jiff/dog/converter

I just wish guys would do good POST TRIPS. Its a lot better to catch issues upon arrival at a SC then wait for a new driver to do a pre trip and discover flat tires, lights not working etc and delay departures. I cant tell you how many times I have ask someone how they checked lights on back trailers when they never make it past the dolly and landing gear then you get the answer ...thats the nest guys problem. I have had to have trailers reloaded due to flat tires, leaking loads etc because there was not a shop on site and it was quicker than road rescue so, PLEASE DO A GOOD POST TRIP ALSO...it helps everyone

True. Need some lights.

Basically you are correct. What the rule says is you have to have lights if @ any time a following vehicle can’t see the tail & brake lights of the trailer in front of the gear. Which makes it a moot point because almost all cars sit so low from the driver’s seat, they might not see the lights in a straight line or for sure when making a turn the trailer lights will be obscured @ some point in the turn. But if everyone drove a vehicle sitting 7 feet off the ground you would always see the trailer lights. ABF & a lot of other LTL companies have gotten away with that for years. I know some guys would pull a gear anytime day & night without a light bar. I refused because of the safety & liability to me & my company. For the last 4 years all new gears have had the lights from the factory that ABF purchased.