Holland | How long will it last

thewatcher

TB Lurker
Credits
Question for all you Reddaway guys, how long will the company last now that you are union. Taking on Bestway was quite a finacial slap in the face from your mother ship YRC, driving you from operating in the high 80's to the 100's already. Now because af managements stupidity and lack of diplomacy you go union? And you think this will protect your job how? Hello !! When there is no job to go to there is nothing to " protect" for you. You genius's think that if you pay the union for a couple of years you will get a full pension? When you let slugs run your company in the ground and you follow them you leave nothing to fight for.

don't tell them that.they still have hope that their trucks will get a YELLOW placard on it.at least that is what happened to a lot of Dugans equipment in the SE and maybe the newer stuff in the NE from Redstar.Then maybe one of ten may get to work casual for YELLOW and be in the bigtime.i am sorry but i do not understand why you would have someone else talk to the manager about your job.the union "IN MY OPINION' "NOT IN ALL CASES" simply makes every union employee in a terminal a pawn on the playfield thereby taking the best employee and making him or her equal to the worst employee and making sure both get the same pay.that to me is just amazing and people sign their individual voices away to be in a union again"NOT IN ALL CASES".i prefer to go to the boss and ask for something myself such as a raise if i feel i deserve it .just my opinion thats all no offense meant.

don't tell them that.they still have hope that their trucks will get a YELLOW placard on it.at least that is what happened to a lot of Dugans equipment in the SE and maybe the newer stuff in the NE from Redstar.Then maybe one of ten may get to work casual for YELLOW and be in the bigtime.i am sorry but i do not understand why you would have someone else talk to the manager about your job.the union "IN MY OPINION' "NOT IN ALL CASES" simply makes every union employee in a terminal a pawn on the playfield thereby taking the best employee and making him or her equal to the worst employee and making sure both get the same pay.that to me is just amazing and people sign their individual voices away to be in a union again"NOT IN ALL CASES".i prefer to go to the boss and ask for something myself such as a raise if i feel i deserve it .just my opinion thats all no offense meant.

Well, I'm very offended by the first two posts and don't care for either one of the anti-union remarks.
:furious:

Jeff, would you please consider changing the USF page to a separate Holland only and Reddaway only page. I for one am tired of being on a page with nons talking negative about unions. New Penn is smaller than Holland and they have their own page. Its just more than I can deal with reading this non-union garbage on a UNION page, or at least it used to be. If anybody agrees with me please let Jeff hear from you. Jeff, if you can't do it I understand but enough is enough. We need to be split up from the OTHER guys. Maybe a UNION USF and a non-UNION USF? Guys, let me know how you feel, maybe its just me? Am I correct or not?
:realmad:

Benny I read this last night and choose too ignore it. These guys need to have a way to hash their problems out in this forum. Their problems are our problems in my opinion. At Holland Memphis we went through this, in a much smaller way, the same situation with Dugan . Very different in many ways, but intigrating non and union men together is difficult at best. Being a Holland man, I feel Reddaways pain. We are still staggerring along due to the past closures of Dugan and Red Star. Say what you won't, we gainned nothing in these closures. Enough of that. Back to the topic. Patience and support is need in my opinion. Thanks GRIZZ ( Sorry Benny, 99% of the time I agree with ya)

Unfortunatly this is a USF forum and they are USF companys. Overnite went thru the same thing and its still ongoing. For some strange reason all the Non-Union people can think of is dues and nothing else.They don't look at the health coverage and pensions that they don't have to put up front money into.In these cases it seems the non believers are the loudest so it might be of interest to point out the pros and cons of being Union. Just try to keep it civil..

Everytime I see post along the lines of going Union I also sense a worry from those against that it will drive a wedge between them and their boss. That many time seems to be a bigger concern to them than all issues. :butt kiss::shrug:

Dirtball-I agree with Benny.This union knocking belongs on another board.We would never be allowed to go to a non-union board with this type of talk. Being a union member I can't sit by and listen to anti-union comments without a reply that would just start a flameing war. My 2 cents .:chairshot:

Guys the problem is being discussed by us Mods. Give me a day or so and we will come up with some kind of solution. Trouble here is this is a USF forum and half the companys involved are Non-Union.. Companys that operate Half and Half where the Union is concerned baffles me to no end.

Question for all you Reddaway guys, how long will the company last now that you are union. Taking on Bestway was quite a financial slap in the face from your mother ship YRC, driving you from operating in the high 80's to the 100's already. Now because af managements stupidity and lack of diplomacy you go union? And you think this will protect your job how? Hello !! When there is no job to go to there is nothing to " protect" for you. You genius's think that if you pay the union for a couple of years you will get a full pension? When you let slugs run your company in the ground and you follow them you leave nothing to fight for.

The company will last however long it will last. No one can say what will and won't happen. You can not blame the union for all your troubles and all the companies troubles. The fact that USF was bought out is the problem. Merging Bestway and Reddaway was not the problem. The problem is getting rid of the Reddaway management and putting in YRC management. That is why the OR is so high. Not the merge and not individual companies. Do you really think the union caused all this? If that is what you think than you have alot of learning to do. When companies merge there is overlap. This is with any company. YRC is the one to blame here not the union. The union had nothing to with the sale and the merger. The problems that the company has now are completely fixable and the company will return to to better times. Don't think for a second this company isn't making money. They are not in the business to lose money and there is no way it will continue to at the current status. There are layoffs because of a merger. Has nothing to do with the union. Once you fine individuals figure that out you can maybe be productive and stop trying to divide everyone and stir the pot. Its called life. Get used to it. It is what it is. So deal with it and quit blaming the union for all your problems. Look around and educate yourself and maybe, just maybe you might get a clue. Business basics. Its really not that hard to understand for most of us. Thats about all I'm going to say because frankly I have better things to do than have a battle of wits with the witless. If you can come up with anything intelligent to say please do. I won't hold my breath though.......

Guys the problem is being discussed by us Mods. Give me a day or so and we will come up with some kind of solution. Trouble here is this is a USF forum and half the companys involved are Non-Union.. Companys that operate Half and Half where the Union is concerned baffles me to no end.

1. Holland has 10,000 employees, Reddaway has 5,000.

2. Holland has 9,000 trailers (48 and 53) and 5,400 tractors, Reddaway has 7,700 trailers (mostly pups) and 2,300 tractors.

3. Holland has 1.3 Billion + annual revenue and Reddaway has 600 + annual revenue.

4. Holland is 100% Union and Reddaway has both Union and non-Union.

My point is the Union people out number the non's more than 2 to 1. Yellow, Roadway, New Penn, Holland, Reddaway, YRC Logistics and some others are all in the YRCW Family but everyone except USF Holland and USF Reddaway are on separate forums. I welcome the opinions of others but I simply feel that the Union members shouldn't have to put up with the wise cracks from the Union haters. Just like the non's shouldn't have to put up with the wise cracks from Union members. I may be wrong but I thought that was what the Union/Non Union forum was for. The talk that was going on over at the old Overnite forum about Unions was very heated between a lot of people (and still is on the new UPSF forum) but it was mainly between non-Union people discussing what to do about going Union or not. I've said way to much about this subject and will now get down off of my high horse.
Thanks to everyone that voiced their oppinions about this subject. Grizz, I think you were the only one that had a slightly different view but I'm glad you gave your opinion because it made me see it a little differently than I did at first. I really enjoy all of the info that we all share with one another no matter if we agree or agree to disagree.
I leave it up to the Mods to decide what to do about this, they do a pretty good job, most of the time, lol.
Thanks guys, Benny :1036316054:

Very well thought out and stated Benny. I guess my theory is based on the fact that I worked for a very hard core non-union carrier through the late 70's and early 80's.(Thurston-13 yrs) A lot of union battles their, try 6 votes in my last 10 yrs with Thurston. The funniest treat was (we'll close the doors if you vote yes) guess what, the doors were closed not long after the union was voted out. Reddaway fellows please listen to your union brothers and do the right thing to secure your job and the failing industry were all in. GRIZZ P.S. Thurston always operated in the low 80's.

The company will last however long it will last. No one can say what will and won't happen. You can not blame the union for all your troubles and all the companies troubles. The fact that USF was bought out is the problem. Merging Bestway and Reddaway was not the problem. The problem is getting rid of the Reddaway management and putting in YRC management. That is why the OR is so high. Not the merge and not individual companies. Do you really think the union caused all this? If that is what you think than you have alot of learning to do. When companies merge there is overlap. This is with any company. YRC is the one to blame here not the union. The union had nothing to with the sale and the merger. The problems that the company has now are completely fixable and the company will return to to better times. Don't think for a second this company isn't making money. They are not in the business to lose money and there is no way it will continue to at the current status. There are layoffs because of a merger. Has nothing to do with the union. Once you fine individuals figure that out you can maybe be productive and stop trying to divide everyone and stir the pot. Its called life. Get used to it. It is what it is. So deal with it and quit blaming the union for all your problems. Look around and educate yourself and maybe, just maybe you might get a clue. Business basics. Its really not that hard to understand for most of us. Thats about all I'm going to say because frankly I have better things to do than have a battle of wits with the witless. If you can come up with anything intelligent to say please do. I won't hold my breath though.......

sounds like to me all of these uneducated non-union ***** need to quit listening to their supervisors,and start talking to some union drivers,and get the real facts.
I am very proud to be a TEAMSTER driver!

Unfortunatly this is a USF forum and they are USF companys. Overnite went thru the same thing and its still ongoing. For some strange reason all the Non-Union people can think of is dues and nothing else.They don't look at the health coverage and pensions that they don't have to put up front money into.In these cases it seems the non believers are the loudest so it might be of interest to point out the pros and cons of being Union. Just try to keep it civil..

You are absolutely 100% correct dirt. You dont know how many guys I get in a week come up to me and say stuff to me about the union, bashing or not but they wanna tell me how great there job is and how much they make. But when we get on the conversation about benefits and pensions they all get pissed and run. The best thing to do is just smile and say nothing......Just MY Opinion.........:smilie_132: