XPO | I got a job offer at Conway...

younggun

TB Lurker
Credits
So I have been reading this forum for the past few weeks while thinking of making a job change. I interviewed at a few different places and went through all of there test. But today I received two offers, one from USF Holland and the other from Conway. I know either way that I start on the flex board and will have to work my way up, I am fine with that since I am young and am willing to put my time in just like everyone else did. But here is the question, as alot of you guys have been in the industry much longer than I, which company do you think is stronger and over all better when it comes to the driver? The benefits are similar and so is pay after you finger in the union dues with Holland, but Conway seems more structured when it comes to getting me basic benefits and PTO time (90 days) since they are non union. Holland says I could get a letter to move from casual to full time in as little as two months but could also take up to a year in a half to be accepted into the union. I am going to post this in the Conway and Holland sections to try to get your guys point of view. Thanks.

that's a toss up some guys will paint a real Pretty Picture here at Con~way and some will tell you a little more honesty I can't say nothing about Holland as I personally don't know anything ! with that being said I will say this Con~way is not the Company it once was we used to have the Best Health insurance in the industry It's not so good today its very expensive depending on what plan you can live with we used to have a Pension which we don't anymore but i believe this is fast becoming an industry standard for most the 401 k they just gave newbies a small piece and the older guys have varying different plans due to service rank ect ! Con~way is not a bad Company but we do have our share of issues right now they are on a lean kick which some of its good but most of it's a pure waste of money and crap But our corporate officers to busy worried about doing **** by the letter than to do what makes good common sense !@!! I would look at cost of insurance between both company's top pay ect benefits and i would go with the Company that offered the overall best package ! Holland is a strong outfit they are what is making money right now for Yellow freight they are the profitable side of Yellow so not a bad choice there ! there benefits may be better than Con~ways but again I am not sure of this I have not looked into leaving Con~way

If u decide on conway, you will never be the same person you are now. You better have your ducks in a row cause if u don't cross your t's and dot you I's , they will call you out on everything and follow up with discipline. As far as usf, at least you will have a contract that tells you rules, wages , ect.... Conway you get no handbook and they make up new rules daily. If you don't move very fast, this place will make your life hell to try and run u off. Works too

Dido on what rollin 62 said. Plus here at con-way we have forum security trying to find out who is posting stuff. Plus you can't drive the 3rd lane without risking getting told on by fellow co-workers.
J.N. I love being #1xcw

So I have been reading this forum for the past few weeks while thinking of making a job change. I interviewed at a few different places and went through all of there test. But today I received two offers, one from USF Holland and the other from Conway. I know either way that I start on the flex board and will have to work my way up, I am fine with that since I am young and am willing to put my time in just like everyone else did. But here is the question, as alot of you guys have been in the industry much longer than I, which company do you think is stronger and over all better when it comes to the driver? The benefits are similar and so is pay after you finger in the union dues with Holland, but Conway seems more structured when it comes to getting me basic benefits and PTO time (90 days) since they are non union. Holland says I could get a letter to move from casual to full time in as little as two months but could also take up to a year in a half to be accepted into the union. I am going to post this in the Conway and Holland sections to try to get your guys point of view. Thanks.

Don't pay too much attention to the haters on here. Remember they are all here for a reason...its a good job that pays good. We all just got a raise and you'll have job security. You won't have job security at the union job. Plus we make more than the YRC companies. Pay your union dues and make less than Conway, FedEx, etc. That's not a good deal. Just don't pay attention to those other posters. They're not serious. If you want to make 100k, work here...we have a lot of 100k drivers. Its an easy job.

Younggun , location matters with BOTH companies. At Con-way , location matters as far as the amount of , and kind of work you will get. If you work at a bigger terminal (FAC) , you will most likely have more opportunities. Also , Con-way has a pay structure that varies by region. The southern region of Con-way gets payed LESS and does not pay overtime after 40hrs and/or 8hrs. If you share what part of the country you are in , guys in Con-way's and Holland's board can give you detailed information about what to watch out for in your neck of the woods. Good luck.

Younggun , location matters with BOTH companies. At Con-way , location matters as far as the amount of , and kind of work you will get. If you work at a bigger terminal (FAC) , you will most likely have more opportunities. Also , Con-way has a pay structure that varies by region. The southern region of Con-way gets payed LESS and does not pay overtime after 40hrs and/or 8hrs. If you share what part of the country you are in , guys in Con-way's and Holland's board can give you detailed information about what to watch out for in your neck of the woods. Good luck.

I am in the midwest, so I would get OT after 8 hours and I would start at 19.60 per hour. When on a line hall run its 58 cents per mile plus hourly pay while aterminalsls. I also like that they contributeue 2% into my 401k. What is a FAC terminal? I know that they have a shop and almost 300 people working there total...

FAC is a place where you'll be worked to death and possibly fired !

So true convict. He'll be unloading sub service vans till his back breaks then kick him out the door and put up a hiring banner out on the fence. Young gun , I hope your ready to work your ass off if your going to a fac. No breaks , and lunch will be taken At the end of your shift.

Don't pay too much attention to the haters on here. Remember they are all here for a reason...its a good job that pays good. We all just got a raise and you'll have job security. You won't have job security at the union job. Plus we make more than the YRC companies. Pay your union dues and make less than Conway, FedEx, etc. That's not a good deal. Just don't pay attention to those other posters. They're not serious. If you want to make 100k, work here...we have a lot of 100k drivers. Its an easy job.

100k on the extra board...seriously what kind of effing drugs are you on beer? You mean they will play the part time game and ensure he gets lets than 40 hrs a week. probably right around 32- 34 hrs. These days it will take a new guy two lifetimes plus some to get anywhere near 100k. And the chances of you making it to the top of the board is slim to none. Con-way is not the absolute worst put dont paint a picture like its all roses and sunshine here... You will be run ragged every night if you run linehaul. Then once a week they will tell you to use your 16 hr rule..

I run nighttime line haul and get 70 hours a week every week and have never seen 100k Or even come close to that number... Ever !

How many $100,000 a year drivers do you know?

I am in the midwest, so I would get OT after 8 hours and I would start at 19.60 per hour. When on a line hall run its 58 cents per mile plus hourly pay while aterminalsls. I also like that they contributeue 2% into my 401k. What is a FAC terminal? I know that they have a shop and almost 300 people working there total...
Freight Assembly Center

I'm assuming your either looking at Lasalle ill or Gary in since you said there are 300 employees. Those to barns have reships so there's plenty of work available. I'm sure you'll be seeing your share of dock work. Both terminals are at central rate and got 2% raise this year. If you have specific questions on these terminals or a different one let me know and I'll hook you up with one of their drivers. They'd know better what you'd be in store for.

How many $100,000 a year drivers do you know?

Freight Assembly Center
yeah, you get hands on training assembling damaged freight back to its original package. Never looks the same though. Theyll l even throw in a safe stack vest from the guy that just quit yesterday

Young guns , go on that holland page and see if people resign once they are on full time status on the seniority roster. Then I think you'll have your answer