XPO | I got a job offer at Conway...

FAC is a place where you'll be worked to death and possibly fired !

So true convict. He'll be unloading sub service vans till his back breaks then kick him out the door and put up a hiring banner out on the fence. Young gun , I hope your ready to work your ass off if your going to a fac. No breaks , and lunch will be taken At the end of your shift.
I looked up the definition for FAC and it didn't say any of the bull #&%@ you two are spewing..

Its a nice place to make sure you get your hours in for the week.
All smiling friendly faces..no bags.

100k on the extra board...seriously what kind of effing drugs are you on beer? You mean they will play the part time game and ensure he gets lets than 40 hrs a week. probably right around 32- 34 hrs. These days it will take a new guy two lifetimes plus some to get anywhere near 100k. And the chances of you making it to the top of the board is slim to none. Con-way is not the absolute worst put dont paint a picture like its all roses and sunshine here... You will be run ragged every night if you run linehaul. Then once a week they will tell you to use your 16 hr rule..
Well, I didn't mean that was what the new guy was going to make..after top pay and all.

FAC is a place where you'll be worked to death and possibly fired !

How many $100,000 a year drivers do you know?

Freight Assembly Center
Two that post occasionally... so that's a good number considering there are only a fraction of the employees posting here.
You people act like your ashamed that you make good money...Haha you should only care about yourselves and not other companies...FedEx is king in ltl. As long as their pay is strong, ours will be too.
Have a good easter weekend everybody. See you on Monday.

Young gun..just go to OD. And problem solved.

I've been on with Con-way for about 7 months now running Line haul as #5 on the Flex board at my barn.

My largest check was $1300, my smallest check was $680 (gross), which for someone with no real experience isn't that bad.

I'm in the 9 county Chicago area and have 4 FAC facilities within 100 miles of my domicile.Most weeks I work 70-72 hours a week, if I run every night, I drive anywhere from 30-200 miles per night, and work on the dock anywhere from 5-8 hours, plus outbound or spotting.

2 of the FAC's are 35 miles from my home, so if I don't have a run, I am able to drive to one of those and work 6-9 hours a night.

In my opinion, the job isn't that hard, but the hours do take a toll on you when you are new to this industry.

If you run Line-haul, Con-way will expect you to be available to work 2-3 hours doing outbound, spotting, or switches @ your barn, before you hook your set for your run, then work 5-8 hours on the dock at the FAC, then take a VIA to another FAC at 5 am, and make it back to your domicile within your 14 hours.

This is to be done without damaging freight, dropping trailers, going against yard flow, rolling your set, backing into other trailers, speeding, driving in the 3rd lane on the tollway, or any of the other thousand things that could happen...

If you go City, you may work 7-8 hours on the dock, and if the dispatcher likes you, you may do a switch, or a turn and burn to a FAC at the end of your shift.

Either way if you show up everyday, are willing to work, and can do it safely, you will make money.

So here is the deal, I went back to Conway today and did my road test and signed a few papers. It went well and I meet a few of the guys, at least in my area Conway seems more inviting and better at addressing my concerns. I am not 100% sold either way but I feel that Conway may be the better place for me. I am a fan of the union at Holland but not having a set day on when I get benefits and PTO time or that I will get the hours needed its a little scary for a man with a young family. Conway is actually a little bit farther drive for me but they will start me off at almost two dollars more per hour. The other thing is that I have a pension and 401k where I am at now and I really wonder if the pension will still be there in 40 years when I expect to take my share, so I am more a fan of 401k, so Conway wins on that point. I just want to say that I think both are great companies from my point of view and don't think I could make a bad choice between the two, just trying to make the better choice for me. I appreciate all of your guys in site on my tough decision I will need to make. Thanks

Good luck to you young gun .... We will be expecting to hear your opinion about this company for the next 6 months on tb if ya make that long ... Lol

So here is the deal, I went back to Conway today and did my road test and signed a few papers. It went well and I meet a few of the guys, at least in my area Conway seems more inviting and better at addressing my concerns. I am not 100% sold either way but I feel that Conway may be the better place for me. I am a fan of the union at Holland but not having a set day on when I get benefits and PTO time or that I will get the hours needed its a little scary for a man with a young family. Conway is actually a little bit farther drive for me but they will start me off at almost two dollars more per hour. The other thing is that I have a pension and 401k where I am at now and I really wonder if the pension will still be there in 40 years when I expect to take my share, so I am more a fan of 401k, so Conway wins on that point. I just want to say that I think both are great companies from my point of view and don't think I could make a bad choice between the two, just trying to make the better choice for me. I appreciate all of your guys in site on my tough decision I will need to make. Thanks
Younggun , don't hesitate to post here or on Holland's board with ANY questions. For my part I welcome any and all who are willing to work and have some common sense.

Younggun, It is hard at the bottom of the board. I was there 19 years ago. I too had a family to provide for. It worked out good for me. Lots of hard hours over the years. But it is a lot better than living in a truck running all 48. I thank God every day for my job.
Have you thought about ABF?

100k Please don't lie to him he has to get where you are to make that yes we do have many 100k plus drivers but they been here a dogs age too and well those jobs just don't come open like that we got old fellers that been here forever and well lets be honest they got good runs and they not going to give them up anytime soon chances of moving up the ladder are slow going i have been here ten years and at my barn i am still not even close to one of those 100 k runs i still have over 100 people in front of me so please don't paint a Picture of all Roses and no work or time to wait until you reach your turn to Collect the Roses !!!!!!!!!!

Don't pay too much attention to the haters on here. Remember they are all here for a reason...its a good job that pays good. We all just got a raise and you'll have job security. You won't have job security at the union job. Plus we make more than the YRC companies. Pay your union dues and make less than Conway, FedEx, etc. That's not a good deal. Just don't pay attention to those other posters. They're not serious. If you want to make 100k, work here...we have a lot of 100k drivers. Its an easy job.

Well in all Fairness you should tell him how long it will take him to see them ducks I mean After all Beerfd that's what he is coming here for yea your right that kinda Money can be and is made here every year but You are in the Select Group to be getting that huge check !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I know a good many whom at MY FAC have 15 years in and can't make that kinda of Money cause they don't have the service Rank to get the bid that makes them Ducks !!!!!!!!!! and many of them wont see it in 20 or 30 years more as the majority of us will all retire around the same time we are close in age !

Well, I didn't mean that was what the new guy was going to make..after top pay and all.

I do not regret coming to Con~way it has been for the most part a good experience I wish our Company was still the Model Company that it once was they used to care about us now we are nothing more than a number run by the corporate machine they don't run us by common sense they run us by over educated Book smart college grads that have no clue what trucking is all about they love to use fancy graph s and lean type programs some ideas are great some well they just plain a waste of time in trucking but once Con~way charts and Plots a course they stay on it until the Bitter end they won't admit to making a mistake cause Corporate Con~way can't make a mistake !!!

if you can deal with the Bull**** and distance yourself from the whiners the babies and the Corporate Machine you will do fine best advice I can give you is this YOU GET PAID By the Hour take your time do your job right every time all the time don't worry about making land speed records you will only fire yourself safety first so that means slow steady work on the dock off the dock in the truck I have seen many driver loose they job over dumb accidents like tail light, mud puddle , scratched a trailer all minor crap but 3 of them you walk the Plank !!! So be slow be steady be safe you will be here tom and yes watch your back do your job right a lot of rats here !!!!!!!!

oh and if you want to make that 100k per year early on just come up with a fool Prove Plan to OFF a Whole Lot of Senior Drivers otherwise your gonna be like the rest of us waiting for our turn a lot of us are turning grey in this lineup lol !!!

I do not regret coming to Con~way it has been for the most part a good experience I wish our Company was still the Model Company that it once was they used to care about us now we are nothing more than a number run by the corporate machine they don't run us by common sense they run us by over educated Book smart college grads that have no clue what trucking is all about they love to use fancy graph s and lean type programs some ideas are great some well they just plain a waste of time in trucking but once Con~way charts and Plots a course they stay on it until the Bitter end they won't admit to making a mistake cause Corporate Con~way can't make a mistake !!!

if you can deal with the Bull**** and distance yourself from the whiners the babies and the Corporate Machine you will do fine best advice I can give you is this YOU GET PAID By the Hour take your time do your job right every time all the time don't worry about making land speed records you will only fire yourself safety first so that means slow steady work on the dock off the dock in the truck I have seen many driver loose they job over dumb accidents like tail light, mud puddle , scratched a trailer all minor crap but 3 of them you walk the Plank !!! So be slow be steady be safe you will be here tom and yes watch your back do your job right a lot of rats here !!!!!!!!

So I have been reading this forum for the past few weeks while thinking of making a job change. I interviewed at a few different places and went through all of there test. But today I received two offers, one from USF Holland and the other from Conway. I know either way that I start on the flex board and will have to work my way up, I am fine with that since I am young and am willing to put my time in just like everyone else did. But here is the question, as alot of you guys have been in the industry much longer than I, which company do you think is stronger and over all better when it comes to the driver? The benefits are similar and so is pay after you finger in the union dues with Holland, but Conway seems more structured when it comes to getting me basic benefits and PTO time (90 days) since they are non union. Holland says I could get a letter to move from casual to full time in as little as two months but could also take up to a year in a half to be accepted into the union. I am going to post this in the Conway and Holland sections to try to get your guys point of view. Thanks.
Run away fast!:confused:

Don't pay too much attention to the haters on here. Remember they are all here for a reason...its a good job that pays good. We all just got a raise and you'll have job security. You won't have job security at the union job. Plus we make more than the YRC companies. Pay your union dues and make less than Conway, FedEx, etc. That's not a good deal. Just don't pay attention to those other posters. They're not serious. If you want to make 100k, work here...we have a lot of 100k drivers. Its an easy job.

I don't know what planet you're on but this is NOT an easy job. We work our asses off here, and especially for less down in the south. Who is making 100k? No one that I know, well maybe one driver but he's been here forever and has our best linehaul run. But if you're in the city, forget it, you won't make over 50.

So true convict. He'll be unloading sub service vans till his back breaks then kick him out the door and put up a hiring banner out on the fence. Young gun , I hope your ready to work your ass off if your going to a fac. No breaks , and lunch will be taken At the end of your shift.

The fence is there to keep the employees in as much as it is to keep the bad guys out!

Try out Old Dominion, or ABF, if you get in at the right time it could be good with any company,, Dayton is a good one, but they all have there problems, Go to Estes where I work and you might find yourself on top of the world there after being there a short time, the ones that been here awhile at Big E seem to get the shaft these days by all the dumb rules...
Anyway good luck...