XPO | I got a job offer at Conway...

Wow the negativity on here. I worked for holland and I work for Conway now. If u want stability in the ltl business take the Conway job. If u want to take the chance on being laid off 2 to 5 times a year going to holland. Yrc has not been financially sound for sometime now and the union is not what it used to be. I enjoy my job here and that's why it's called work it's not supposed to be easy. Old dominion is a good company too check them out. As far as I am concerned Conway and old dominion are the top two in the freight business to work for.

Lol. Your right, you'll always have job stability here at conway. Kinda like Walmart too. Amazing how corporations flourish from cheap labor.

Wow the negativity on here. I worked for holland and I work for Conway now. If u want stability in the ltl business take the Conway job. If u want to take the chance on being laid off 2 to 5 times a year going to holland. Yrc has not been financially sound for sometime now and the union is not what it used to be. I enjoy my job here and that's why it's called work it's not supposed to be easy. Old dominion is a good company too check them out. As far as I am concerned Conway and old dominion are the top two in the freight business to work for.
fedex is LTL king

If u decide on conway, you will never be the same person you are now. You better have your ducks in a row cause if u don't cross your t's and dot you I's , they will call you out on everything and follow up with discipline. As far as usf, at least you will have a contract that tells you rules, wages , ect.... Conway you get no handbook and they make up new rules daily. If you don't move very fast, this place will make your life hell to try and run u off. Works too

So true convict. He'll be unloading sub service vans till his back breaks then kick him out the door and put up a hiring banner out on the fence. Young gun , I hope your ready to work your ass off if your going to a fac. No breaks , and lunch will be taken At the end of your shift.

No one has asked the important stuff.

Do you have any doubles experience?

Have you worked in the LTL industry before?

At Con-Way the title of Driver Sales Representative (DSR) means the truck is not the only tool we use to move freight. A good amount of a new employee's time will be spent on the dock loading and unloading trailers. This in itself is job security, if you only had to drive the truck there would be periods of time that you would not be needed. Home everyday and weekends off... not bad for a truck driver in today's world.

Benefits, wage structure, policies? All explained during the on-boarding process. Once an employee i.d. number has been assigned to you the employee portal is available via the internet. This is where you can find your personal copy of the employee handbook containing policy and benefit information.

Safety?, this is a work in progress. Our culture is changing as we pursue world class safety. But our history and the pace of operations are hard things to change. Having the intent to do it right the first time and to do it safely create a strong foundation of success for any driver.

Is it hard work? Absolutely! If it was easy and anybody could do it they wouldn't be offering you $19.60 to start out

Younggun , location matters with BOTH companies. At Con-way , location matters as far as the amount of , and kind of work you will get. If you work at a bigger terminal (FAC) , you will most likely have more opportunities. Also , Con-way has a pay structure that varies by region. The southern region of Con-way gets payed LESS and does not pay overtime after 40hrs and/or 8hrs. If you share what part of the country you are in , guys in Con-way's and Holland's board can give you detailed information about what to watch out for in your neck of the woods. Good luck.

Why is it you guys from the south never mention you make more money per hour than the central guys when you take a day off?

Now if I take a day off I get eight hours of PTO compensation, you guys not only get more you earn more.

It would be nice to take a day off and get paid almost ten hours for it like you guys. A ten hour work day earns you nearly ten hours off, not eight like in the north

Stole your pension, stole your week of vacation, gave you a raise... oh wait, that was supposed to be a good thing...ah, scratch that last one... oh wait, I forgot, that wasn't good enough either

I need a SAAG Board to keep up around here

better get fresh batteries in the ol' keyboard, you've got some bashin to do

Merdock, your answers are almost laughable..I cannot believe for a second that you are a driver. You must be a company plant sent here as counterpoint to the drivers point of view..You have a distorted reality and if you've been at con-way for 20+ years your experience here is totally different. And its no fault of yours that you were here that long..but whatever. So you agree with the view that the driver is a tool, becuase that is exactly what your statement said. I've seen stuff saying people are our most important asset...You meant profit is right? Which is totally ok for any corporation, but dont try to pull the wool over my eyes man. Policies explaining everything, total hogwash. They ask you if you are available to work any shift, and f course as a new employee, you say yes. What you are intentionally not told, is tht you might be flip flopping work hours in the same week, intentionally held to 32-34 hrs or less. But everything explained to you..give me a break man. You almost sound like beer...Every once in a while you might actually make sense, but 99% of the time you come on here with your distorted reality.Stop it. And maybe the south gets paid more than the north on a PTO day, but how many PTO days does a new guy get? Seriously...we get paid hourly..And I just found out a new guy in cali makes more than $2/hr more than me even after being here for almost 2 years and three raises.. Please. I cant believe you actually posted some of this nonsense..

Centuryclass you haven't seen nothing yet from merdock ..Just wait until he breaks out the ol coffee table book on our ass ..!

Centuryclass you haven't seen nothing yet from merdock ..Just wait until he breaks out the ol coffee table book on our ass ..!
I've seen his posts, but honestly it just baffles me. He must be one of those presidential award winners. I had one at my old barn who would paint the same kind of picture..Even after I was getting 20 hrs a week working barely surviving from a small service center in NY, he tried talking me out of a set run in a transfer west..These guys are jaded, and because con-way gave them some stupid award, the go around spewing the company cheer and pissing blue kool aid on new employees.

I had the exact same choices over 20 years ago. The best choice then looked like Con-way, but if I had to do it over I would go with Holland! Do not make my mistake young man go to Holland now and enjoy! I am to old to change now I work on without my pension and knowing I have been snookered out of what I was promised at Con-way. RUN FOREST RUN RUN DO NOT LOOK BACK!

I had the exact same choices over 20 years ago. The best choice then looked like Con-way, but if I had to do it over I would go with Holland! Do not make my mistake young man go to Holland now and enjoy! I am to old to change now I work on without my pension and knowing I have been snookered out of what I was promised at Con-way. RUN FOREST RUN RUN DO NOT LOOK BACK!

I'm in the same boat or sinking ship ... All for nothing, no pot of gold at the end of this rainbow !

Why is it you guys from the south never mention you make more money per hour than the central guys when you take a day off?

Now if I take a day off I get eight hours of PTO compensation, you guys not only get more you earn more.

It would be nice to take a day off and get paid almost ten hours for it like you guys. A ten hour work day earns you nearly ten hours off, not eight like in the north

It's actually 8.8 hours. That's some pretty good rounding up. I don't know exactly how much they make up north, but I'll bet that 8 hours at their rate is more than 8.8 hours at southern rate.

Maybe I need to talk to the union steward at Holland to get a better feel for how long they will drag me on as a casual driver/ dock worker there before I really get the perks. I just know that when starting Conway says they will give me more hours and will pay me almost 2 dollars more per hour.

Maybe I need to talk to the union steward at Holland to get a better feel for how long they will drag me on as a casual driver/ dock worker there before I really get the perks. I just know that when starting Conway says they will give me more hours and will pay me almost 2 dollars more per hour.
Ever wonder why Conway was so eager to offer you a job? This company cannot keep employees, the turn over is so high around here it's not even funny. They will paint this shiny blue picture about how great this company is but the fact is after you walk through the doors it all changes and changes quick, these unskilled managers attempt to manage by fear and initimidation and it works on most. They will threaten your job they will belittle you as a employee and in the mean time you have to kiss major ass just to get hours. I have seen more then a 100 and thats a rough number but probably more walk in and leave behind this activity. If you choose to become a future convict .. Just use caution around everyone and management . I would recommend you go with Holland or ABF for long term employment , this place is not as good as it seems !

Maybe you should realize that out of over 15,000 employees only about 20 come to this site to bash their employer. Most of their issues are with the local management styles of their service center. Misery loves company, 20 is still 20 when it comes to stroking each other's keyboard... no waiting in line

Blue Koolaid? Absolutely! Why go to work everyday just to be miserable? I'm getting ready to celebrate my 24th anniversary as a driver with the company. No one is responsible except myself to find rewards, goals, and optimism within my work environment. I don't care if you're handling freight or digging ditches, make the best of it or move on.When I started we were lucky to get two line-haul runs a week... to the closest reship, worth about 20 hours for the week. I worked two other jobs along with this to feed the family. But I felt this company was solid and offered the best opportunity for longevity. I still feel the same now as I did 20 years ago, I would not quit this company to go to any other trucking company.

Do I blindly follow the path set forth by my manager and supervision? According to the knuckle-heads on here...well, you can read for yourself. Do I work in Utopia and have the greatest, kindest, most talented bosses in the world? I gotta answer that also no. But, unlike a union environment, there is no middle man in our equation and now more than ever the employee does have the opportunity to help change the direction of the company.

So, one more question... do you bring safety, integrity, commitment, and excellence to work with you everyday? Do you see these as important qualities of life, not just company propaganda? Then whether here or at Holland the opportunity to succeed, work 20 + years, earn safety awards, and possibly be recognized by your peers for your efforts is very much available.

no one is bashing con-way, because we obviously are still working here..But you like beerfd paint rainbows and sunshine, and nothing could be further from the truth for a new guy. The experience of a 24 yr guy will not even be remotely close to that of a flexboarder.

.When I started we were lucky to get two line-haul runs a week... to the closest reship, worth about 20 hours for the week. I worked two other jobs along with this to feed the family. But I felt this company was solid and offered the best opportunity for longevity. I still feel the same now as I did 20 years ago, I would not quit this company to go to any other trucking company.
If one could do this, then maybe working here wouldnt be so bad. But they screw with your start times on a daily basis, one day line, next day city, next day dock. As the fng, you agreed to be available to work any shift.This places uses and abuses you because everyone gets wide eyed about making $19+/hr. Little do you know they get their money's worth and then some. I know everything is based on volume, but they have an idea of whats going to happen the next day and could give you a heads up. You are beholden to the phone, trying to find out when you are working so it is impossible to have another job lined up. I remember when I just started here, sometimes I would have to call hourly from 6am - noon trying to find out if you are coming in that day. And the world of today is just not even recongnizable to 1-15 years ago, where you could get by on less.. so stop it Merdock.

Don't pay too much attention to the haters on here. Remember they are all here for a reason...its a good job that pays good. We all just got a raise and you'll have job security. You won't have job security at the union job. Plus we make more than the YRC companies. Pay your union dues and make less than Conway, FedEx, etc. That's not a good deal. Just don't pay attention to those other posters. They're not serious. If you want to make 100k, work here...we have a lot of 100k drivers. Its an easy job.

NO, we ALL did not just get a raise. Some of you did, not all of us.

Just remember, conway is always hiring. Enjoy the benefits of a union if you are given the opportunity. Ot after 8, free medical, pension program and being treated like a human and not a number. you have the rest of your life to work for the bottom of the barrel at conway. Well leave the light on for ya