Yellow | I have had enough!!!!!

Current day railroads have bounced back from the precarious financial situation they were in decades ago. The railroad unions smartened up and went along with modernization and elimination of archaic work rules and today the employees are making good money and the railroads are profitable. Win/win for everybody. Times and conditions change. Sometimes that's hard to accept.

They still have plenty of archaic work rules!!! My brother-in -law reminds of them every time I see him.

falconfan, I'm opptimistic that we as well as ABF will survive. However, as Triplex has pointed out there are hurdles to be overcome. The employees who remain focused on the greed of senior management, as well as, a tenacious grip on OUTDATED work rule are just two. There must be a recognition that cost effective procedures must be adopted. All employees of YRCW must begin to understand that no solution will be painless. Fairness is NOT going to be a factor. There are simply too many new, CAPABLE and financially stable competitors.
I see it here EVERY DAY, the "I want my money back". Until YRCW is able to recapitolize, there is no money to restore the levels of compensation many feel they are ENTITLED. That fact, and that fact, alone IMO is the critical hurdle.

Work rules outdated?? Goes right along with the equipment!!

I think what was a real killer with this company.Is this lengthy 5year MOU that basically was deceptively poured down our throats.The threats of this and that and then the bonuses and then the PTS deal.Alot of this hasn't set well with a lot of us.Even the YES voters.I understand the insurance issues and all.That i think was a big carrot that was placed in front of a lot of us.Now they want a change of operations.For what? 511 is already hurting for drivers as well as other places.To take 13 drivers and twenty something from that dock.Thats quite a loss.My opinion on thee 511 thing.If CDO would let 511 coordinate more of the runs.That yard could run a little better.Alot of those coordinators at CDO don't know Texas and thee surrounding areas.Just let 511 handle the Texas area and their region.

If your thinking of turning in your keys of that fine truck for greener pastures :smilie93C_peelout: , you better think twice . Odds are that you came to a union company many years ago , and forgot how non union company's operate . There's a kind of a feeling of comfort that you have when we mess up , or talk back to a supervisor when we get angry . The teamsters union will have your back when we have wreck or a pay dispute . If god forbid you die on the job your family will have a check coming to pay for funeral and help out . I feel confident that I will have a job the next day, if I tell the dispatcher I'm to tired to work even when I have hours left. :grouphug:

Even a modest amount of research will confirm that steel and automotive and other heavily unionized industries have suffered. Our plight is NOT unique, just slower to manifest. Talk to USW, UAW, PATCO, ALPA or any airline and railway union members. They have suffered as well as endured similar and many cases more severe conditions, than those we face,
PS None of those unions are doing much organizing either.

This is true.... The age when Unions were at their apex of their strength and influence has passed, sadly so, and many of todays younger workers do not realize the extent of what the organized labor movement did for this Country

As Corporate influence in the political and media arena expanded, and continues to expand, the money that is available to influence or shall I say "purchase" the media, far out numbers the amount of money that is available to Labor Unions to offset the growing anti-union sentiment that is fueled in large part through Corporate owned media outlets..

I know there are some that feel that Public sector Unions should not exist...However, it seems to me that this push back against Public sector Unions is just a part of the overall larger effort to destroy all Unions....Public sector or otherwise.....

PS None of those unions are doing much organizing either.

ORGANIZING........That is the single most important thing these Unions should be doing!.. It should be simple to see.....When Unions were at their most powerful....membership was high......when membership declined so did the strength of the Union..... The only way to regain that level of influence is to increase membership and that means organizing employers.......

I think that most people today realize that this is not the 1970's anymore and the "rules" need to be changed to reflect that, however, the biggest crisis presently is the condition of Pensions...not just the Union Pensions, but other Defined benefit pensions and Pensions in general....It would seem logical to take that issue and turn it into a "selling point" to other Companies..... Historically the multi-employer Pensions were without doubt the most secure......they spread the Pension costs out over the participating employers..... so it would seem that with the costs involved with administering a pension plan at a single employer, it would make good senses to join with other Companies to spread that cost out among a larger group of contributors and still be able to offer a decent Pension to attract and retain workers.....similar to how it worked when Unions were strong and there were larger numbers of Union Companies.....It should be possible to address the problematic issues with past Union workforce rules and still be able to create a mutually beneficial situation for all involved.... I think part of the organizing issue is not just the Union workers who still think it's the 1970's, but the Companies that still look at it the same way.......

I guess so.i don't know that for sure.Since they do feature UPS in the Teamster magazine.And that UPS is not a broke arse company like ABF and YRC claim to be.I use claim loosely.