ABF | IBT Backs Plan to Allow Some Pension Cuts

Chicago Ridge 301

If this goes bad, they know every ABF worker is going to be disgruntled and not give a s**t anymore. (you get what you pay for). So why tell them any sooner than they hav too. When it went bad for YRC at Chicago Heights there was a 5000 $ reward for the individuals who were slashing all the truck tires in the 309 yard. They know whats coming.

This Is just the beginning ABF just wait till realty sets in you will say WTF just happend.....sad but that's our new union!! Theses companies are sleeping with our union.

Seriously I'm proud to be a Teamster. But if they take away my superior pension why do I need to be a Teamster

dont worry,you wont be a teamster for much longer,you,me and everybody else will see an end to the teamsters,at least in the trucking industry.

dont worry,you wont be a teamster for much longer,you,me and everybody else will see an end to the teamsters,at least in the trucking industry.

I'm afraid you are right, I never thought it would come to this, but I will tell you this, if we don't stick together and fight then we sure won't have anything left.

I'm afraid you are right, I never thought it would come to this, but I will tell you this, if we don't stick together and fight then we sure won't have anything left.

Should have listened to FDR, and kept unions out of the public sector. Maybe then the Teamsters would focus more on us in the private sector.

you will have a job,maybe.and you said the word "fight"if that means strike,the day the strike is called there will be no more ABF.because all these non union and 1 union company will be picking up ABF freight

February 26, 2013: The Hoffa administration has signed on to a joint employer-union proposal to allow “deeply troubled” pension funds to slash accrued benefits, even for Teamsters who have already retired.

This proposal, which could be aimed squarely at the Teamster Central States Fund, comes from the National Coordinating Committee for Multiemployer Plans, a committee of employers, unions and pension plans.

UPS is a prominent member of the group, which also includes several pension funds, employer groups, and some unions.

___The group’s proposal is to change federal law ----to allow “deeply troubled” plans, those in danger of going insolvent in the next 20 years, to drastically slash benefits.

These Pension Funds could slash benefits to as low as just 10% above the guaranteed rate set by the Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation. For a retiree with 30 credit years, that rate is currently less than $1100 per month!

If new legislation along these lines is approved, the Central States Fund could eventually slash pensions by over 50%.

Under present law, that kind of cut in accrued benefits is illegal.

The Teamsters Union, the Central States Fund and the Western Conference of Teamsters Fund have joined with employers and some other unions to back this proposal.......................

IBT Backs Plan to Allow Some Pension Cuts | Teamsters for a Democratic Union

dont get too excited here gentlemen! Read the line "The group's proposal is to change Federal law". No one changes Federal law but congress....you see that happening anytime soon? They have other fish to fry. And before you get crazy and say "those Repubs in the House' dont forget your basic civics....any laws must go to the Senate as well. There is a lot of "could' and "proposal" in this press release. I have a "proposal" to change Federal law as well to allow me to drill for oil in my backyard. so far, my congressman has made no progress....but he's working on it. If I keep supporting him he should get around to it, at least thats what he keeps telling me....yes, this is concerning, however this is far from a done deal.

Why is anyone shocked? You have a broke government, 17 TRILLION in the hole, that's gong to prop up a broke pension fund, and your surprised they are going to slash your benefits? They are probably going to take out 40% in taxes after they slash it, if this current administration has it's way.......all of us RICH TEAMSTERS gotta pay our fair share you know! Better try to protect your JOB, you will need it as long as you are physically able to do it! ABF is not the problem, they have paid way too much, way too long into this money hole. Hopefully they can offer us some options, I'm all ears!

This Is just the beginning ABF just wait till realty sets in you will say WTF just happend.....sad but that's our new union!! Theses companies are sleeping with our union.

didn't i see where the teamsters have a financial interest in YRC,so why would the teamsters go to far out on a limb for ABF.just wondering

I'm seriously relieved that they are actually admitting there is a serious problem. I hope ABF has a strong enough voice to help protect their employees to some extent. Contrary to what some may think ABF wants to be able to offer older guys a reasonable retirement.....so they can replace you with younger part-timers...think about it :-)

I'm seriously relieved that they are actually admitting there is a serious problem. I hope ABF has a strong enough voice to help protect their employees to some extent. Contrary to what some may think ABF wants to be able to offer older guys a reasonable retirement.....so they can replace you with younger part-timers...think about it :-)

what makes you think abf has anything to do with the pension other than paying their share of contributions. after they pay, the union is the adminstrator of the fund, they decide what you get the company has nothing to do with your compensation.you had to be a nit wit not to see these problems in front of your very nose. less and less contributors can not make all the retirees payments. for you simpletons (papa john ), you can not have more going out than coming in to be sustainable.

dont get too excited here gentlemen! Read the line "The group's proposal is to change Federal law". No one changes Federal law but congress....you see that happening anytime soon? They have other fish to fry. And before you get crazy and say "those Repubs in the House' dont forget your basic civics....any laws must go to the Senate as well. There is a lot of "could' and "proposal" in this press release. I have a "proposal" to change Federal law as well to allow me to drill for oil in my backyard. so far, my congressman has made no progress....but he's working on it. If I keep supporting him he should get around to it, at least thats what he keeps telling me....yes, this is concerning, however this is far from a done deal.
:smiliewhs: someone who actually sees it for what it is.

what makes you think abf has anything to do with the pension other than paying their share of contributions. after they pay, the union is the adminstrator of the fund, they decide what you get the company has nothing to do with your compensation.you had to be a nit wit not to see these problems in front of your very nose. less and less contributors can not make all the retirees payments. for you simpletons (papa john ), you can not have more going out than coming in to be sustainable.

Like all Taft-Hartley Funds, Central States is jointly administered by a Board of Trustees consisting of:

Union Trustees .................... Employer Trustees
Charles A. Whobrey ........................ Arthur H. Bunte, Jr.
Jerry Younger ................... Gary F. Caldwell
George J. Westley .................... Ronald DeStefano
Marvin Kropp .......... ...... Greg R. May

One Fund manages the pension benefits and the other manages the health and welfare benefits for Teamsters and their families who participate in the Funds as part of their collectively bargained benefits.

https://www.centralstatesfunds.org/CSF/plans/ourcompany.aspx

Can someone plz explain to me what will happen to the money the retirees are getting now? My ol man put 30yrs in at yellow and has alot of medical issues right now, and on top of that he is paying around 20% more out of his pension check for my mothers insurance. I believe he was paying around $510 a month, becuz my mother is not old enuf to get on medicare, now i believe he pays around $650 a month. So what everyone is saying that his pension check will be even smaller? What a load of crap if u ask me!!!!!!!!!

Hey Plunger Joe, what are you going to do if (or when) your monthly check drops to $1072? If it was happening to only you I would be laughing...and I know that I am not alone.

this is a perfect example of why I don't pay any attention to some posters, You sure like to make call people names, especially when it don't concern you. For your information I do know what is going on and how things work, and why don't you answer my question? Where did you work for 20 years as a teamster,

this is a perfect example of why I don't pay any attention to some posters, You sure like to make call people names, especially when it don't concern you. For your information I do know what is going on and how things work, and why don't you answer my question? Where did you work for 20 years as a teamster,

once again to satisfy you need to try and fiqure out who i am and im not plunger joe, 20 years woking for north jersey local 560 red star express. i know whats it like to be screwed over. im not laughing at you but cant understand why no one will admit the obvious. the ibt has not presented one realalistic contract proposal or pension reform that would actually help all freight members.

once again to satisfy you need to try and fiqure out who i am and im not plunger joe, 20 years woking for north jersey local 560 red star express. i know whats it like to be screwed over. im not laughing at you but cant understand why no one will admit the obvious. the ibt has not presented one realalistic contract proposal or pension reform that would actually help all freight members.
I dunno, if it walks like Plunger Joe, smells like Plunger Joe and acts like Plunger Joe, then who is it?