TForce | Idle time /Beat the IVIS

MackShifter

TB Lurker
Credits
Back a few years ago you could reach under the dash and unplug the connection to the Ivis on a Mack and Idle as long as you wanted. That is provided you unpluged after TA and then replugged before LV. A few upgrades ago you could no longer do that as the IVIS would complain it was unconnected. I don't even know if there is an accesible data plug on the newer Sterlings and Internationals but It wouldn't work anyway.
I was wondering if anyone else had come up with a way to game the IVIS as far as idle time. Seems like you could go to other work and then remove your card and idle. Of course if you didn't charge the time towards meal or break you would need a legitimate catagory to put it under when you plugged back in.

i'm not a UPS driver and i drive a Volvo, but on my truck if you leave the tractor brakes released and only have the trailer brakes set, it will idle forever.

Demoman, Bear Hammer and jusbeinapain these will not work.

MackShifter is talking about a "IVIS"

IVIS means In Vechile Infomation System. It's a computer in a UPS tractor that records everything as well as your log and delivery and pick up info and TAs (turn arounds or stops).

As a feeder driver we are completely paperless accept for condiition reports. The IVIS is our time keeper. We punch in and out of vechiles with a credit card device that records our every move. (SmartCard)

We punch in at a time clock that is exactly like the IVIS in the tractor and it gives us our daily work and schedules as well as stops (TA) and trailers to be moved. We punch out with that same SmartCard and that's it.

The SmartCard records everything we do in the tractor, speed, RPMs, time of day, delivery points, pickup points, breaks, lunch time, idle time (movement under 3 MPH), accident data, etc.

Over the years it has become harder and harder to "fool".

Mackshifter, it knows everything and it's unfoolable now. It knows when its unplugged, which is the biggest hint that someone is trying to fool it but it is not a punishable offense because it can't prove you were even in the truck.

Going to "other activites" and removing the card will not help. The IVIS will record engine activites without a card and store the info. If the same card is re-inserted into the IVIS without another user using that tractor, the stored info will be put on the user SmartCard of the re-inserted user. The only way to avoid any idle time is "Shifting at a Hub"

1. If you know you are going to be "Shifting" and then "Finishing Work", hit other.

2. The hit Activities

3. Remove Card

4. Do shifting work with tractor (DO NOT RE-INSERT CARD!!!!!!!!!!!!)

5. After shifting work is done and you are cleared to go home take SmartCard to time clock and punch out. Punch in nessacry info about shifting, break, lunch, etc or any other info that it needs to allow you to punch out and punch out.

6. Once you are punched out, that same tractor IVIS can not charge you or download any info on to your SmartCard.

Pretty simple, they pay us pretty good to follow their rules, it's pretty simple to try and apiese them.

I've been around, and this is by far the best company I've ever worked at. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a push over or a compnay suck up.............................but please deal with it, park under a tree for lunch or bring a blanket.

T251

PS: By the way, on a daily average I have 16 mins of Idle time. I do a Jersey or Ct turn from Porivdence RI. Even with Cross Bronx, GWB and CT traffic I manage to make them happy, becuase making them happy means only a number that they can read.

that's a pretty interesting system, Teamster. I wish we had something like that instead of having a bundle of bills, a trip sheet, and a log book. We are soon getting rid of the trip sheets, but i don't see the rest going anywhere anytime soon. Do the small package trucks have that system as well?

Teamster 251 - Good info! Guess that only works on your final TA. I don't normally have a problem with idle time, but i'm cover driving this year so I can be sitting an hour or 2 at some exchanges and it do get warm!

>>Do the small package trucks have that system as well?<<

No, they have the DIAD system which is incorporated in the handheld computer they carry. It contains all the delivery and pick up stops as well as pkgs in the order they should come off. In addition it has a GPS and calls back to the office to report on your progress...

Mackshifter just give it up our Micro managing team wants to know everything we do. However, I agree with teamster 251 just deal with it and enjoy your paycheck at the end of the week. As I hear it anyway the ivis is getting ready to be more complex their adding gps and tracking devices for their trailers I believe they have already started testing these new smart units in the Greensboro hub.

Blanksgirl - I hear you sister and I do enjoy the paycheck. If it gets too hot or too cold I'll just run the tractor until I'm comfortable. As a Teamster I know that no real discipline will come down on a quality of life issue....

Mackshifter just give it up our Micro managing team wants to know everything we do. However, I agree with teamster 251 just deal with it and enjoy your paycheck at the end of the week. As I hear it anyway the ivis is getting ready to be more complex their adding gps and tracking devices for their trailers I believe they have already started testing these new smart units in the Greensboro hub.

One of the reason they might be doing is to prevent misrouted trailers, on top of seeing your exact location. heck they might even be putting in a way to contact dispatch

Check out UPS logistics.......they have a program connected to a gps phone that tracks your movements and locations. I have seen it on a computer screen and it shows a stop by stop progress, and it can probably do lot more that I wasnt allowed to witness. Let the driver beware............Its just like you have to expect that where ever you go, you are on some sort of security cam....

mackshifter, you can do as teamster has stated , not only at your final destination, lets say your going to shift at a hub, all you do is hit t/a, then f/w, ready to punchout, take your card and go to dispatch and go into there ivis under other activitys, take your card back to your tractor, after you finish shifting stick your card back in the tractors ivis and go to shifting hub , you can also incorporate your beaks/meal in also. thats the only way iv seen to keep your idle time down, at t/a away from centers id follow teamsters idea of finding a shade tree,and or go inside to enjoy someone elses a/c, its to good of a job to take a chance of the union getting your job back isnt it?like teamsters stated im by far a company man,, just my work ethic to give them a fair day .

Brownandown - I agree with you guys. If the temp is to extreme and I don't have anywhere to go to get away from it, then I idle the tractor for heat or ac as much as needed.

simply go under other activity, remove card and idle all you want. when you're ready to come off of other activity (meal, break, etc.) reboot (R+T+P)the ivis BEFORE re-inserting your card. all info that was recorded after you pulled your card is lost. re-insert card and go about your day. they can see that the ivis was re-booted, but it doesn't show any incriminating info and that's all they're concerned with.

As a union steward who is watching UPS terminate people to cope with this economy, I would not suggest this. It's easier to defend a driver that is trying to avoid heat stroke or hypothermia than falsified records.

Just my opinion.

As a union steward who is watching UPS terminate people to cope with this economy, I would not suggest this. It's easier to defend a driver that is trying to avoid heat stroke or hypothermia than falsified records.

Just my opinion.

i understand and appreciate your suggestion, but what records would be falsified? no miles on the equipment, no work performed, etc. at my hub, they only seem to be concerned with idle time that shows up in the reports...

Ivs

I heard they're going to PPS soon too. &quot;Porta Potty Seat&quot;,so bathroom breaks are unnesessary. Their ultimate goal is to turn us (all UPS) employees into robots and not humans.

lmao! we are supposed to get the new ivis (or whatever it will be called) in august. charleston, wv already has them, they're being installed in harrisburg as we speak. supposedly, they inbound and outbound you without using the phones. i've heard the gps hasn't been activated yet, but who knows... it looks kinda slick.

WE have the new system in Lancaster, I find that it is a better system then the IVAS. We were told that the Gps is &quot;down the road&quot; but is comming. Right now they are still working the bugs out. Everyone is so worried about the speed and RPM's (missing right now) not being on the screen. Well I had it for a week but since you can &quot;black out&quot; the screen for night driving I never saw my RPM or speed.. Just made me laugh because eveyone was worried because you couldn't see it.

Now if we can talk them into air ride suspention and not using springs we would be alot better off