TForce | If a terminal goes union?

5thwheel

TB Lurker
Credits
If a terminal votes the union in and you are an "at will" employee and chose not to join the union, are you bound by the same rules the union members are? Does your benefits, vacation time, etc. stay the same as they were or are you held to the same standard as the union members?

Welcome to the boards 5thwheel!!! I believe the only difference between the individule that does not wish to be union is that they do not have to pay dues. Other than that, if the barns votes in the union, you have to follow the work rules as specified in the contract. Now don't quote me on this I could be totally wrong. Help me out guys.

If a terminal votes the union in and you are an "at will" employee and chose not to join the union, are you bound by the same rules the union members are? Does your benefits, vacation time, etc. stay the same as they were or are you held to the same standard as the union members?

You are held to the same standards now, as opposed to before, and if I am correct you have to pay union dues because you will be reaping on the same benefits package as your fellow teamsters, so there is really no point to "at will" if the union is voted in your terminal.

This is actually like waiting for a chicken to become a duck.

The wages,and benefits are the same for everyone,regardless if your a dues paying union meber or not.
But your not intitled to any representation if you mess up,and they want to toss you out on your ear.
You stand alone.

Welcome to the boards 5thwheel!!! I believe the only difference between the individule that does not wish to be union is that they do not have to pay dues. Other than that, if the barns votes in the union, you have to follow the work rules as specified in the contract. Now don't quote me on this I could be totally wrong. Help me out guys.

Actually, the at will staus has changed in some states, I guess at will is recognized as neutral, but if you reap of the same bennies, you must pay the fiddler now.

The wages,and benefits are the same for everyone,regardless if your a dues paying union meber or not.
But your not intitled to any representation if you mess up,and they want to toss you out on your ear.
You stand alone.

Allthough what you are saying is true, some states have voted in the fairness act. So those who are "at will", is no longer ,because at one time "at will "was not required to pay dues.

I worked for Halls Motor Transit untill they closed their doors in 1986.
They were always a union LTL trucking company.
All but one city driver were dues paying union members.
The one who wasn't got everything in our package that was in the contrat at that time.

When he retired he also received a union pension.
I work around the upstate NY area this is how it was back then.
I've been out of the union now for over 21 years,so I don't know if this has changed or not?

You are held to the same standards now, as opposed to before, and if I am correct you have to pay union dues because you will be reaping on the same benefits package as your fellow teamsters, so there is really no point to "at will" if the union is voted in your terminal.

This is actually like waiting for a chicken to become a duck.

I believe hugnlug is correct.
If you are in an "at will" state and are against the union...you will have to follow the work rules as specified in the contract.
You don't pay dues, but you also won't have the benefits of being union...such as the health and welfare and grievance and such.

I could be wrong, but that is the way I understand it.

I believe hugnlug is correct.
If you are in an "at will" state and are against the union...you will have to follow the work rules as specified in the contract.
You don't pay dues, but you also won't have the benefits of being union...such as the health and welfare and grievance and such.

I could be wrong, but that is the way I understand it.

In a right to work state you don't have to join the union, but you will be under all contract language. Though ,if you get trouble the union is the only source to fix it. So, you would not have a good chance at winning a grievance.

In a right to work state you don't have to join the union, but you will be under all contract language. Though ,if you get trouble the union is the only source to fix it. So, you would not have a good chance at winning a grievance.
True. Believe it or not the Union still has to represent the freeloader. That goes to show how unfair the so-called Right To Work laws are. A worker ought to be on his own if he doesn't pay dues.

LV Driver,
Welcome to Truckingboards. I don't think we ever hear from any UPSF workers from Vegas. Tell your co-workers about the site too. There's a wealth of knowledge here.

i am in contact with the "right to work" foundation, it seems you do not have to join or pay dues, you will be under the same contract.an article called union discipline and employee rights answers all of this. check NRTW

also it saysyou are still a member of the bargaining unit, fully covered by the same. also, the union owes these members a duty of fair reresentation, you just don`t get to vote, and would be immune from union discipline and fines.

also it saysyou are still a member of the bargaining unit, fully covered by the same. also, the union owes these members a duty of fair reresentation, you just don`t get to vote, and would be immune from union discipline and fines.

Members pay due's don't they? How can you be a member when you don't want anything to do with the union? If I were that hell bent on not wanting any part of a union terminal, I would pack my bags. It won't be worth the aggrivating working atmosphere.

some states are right to work states and some like MA. state that if your barn goes union, you have to join or give up your job