R&L | incentive

Overtime

braceface what's the deal here? Can R&L afford to pay its hardworking employees overtime?

Overtime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the United States, the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 applies to employees in industries engaged in, or producing goods for, interstate commerce. The FLSA establishes a standard work week of 40 hours for certain kinds of workers, and mandates payment for overtime hours to those workers of one and one-half times the workers' normal rate of pay for any time worked above 40 hours.

I know, there is some obscure exemption that makes it legal for R&L to not pay its workers overtime. And since R&L chooses to use this exemption when all the bigboys don't then I call that substandard.

I was just wondering. Any linehaul drivers out there ever get any kind of incentive for helping out on p&d besides the hourly rate?
big$driver asked a simple question & right away you get defensive, I wonder why?

braceface what's the deal here? Can R&L afford to pay its hardworking employees overtime?

Overtime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the United States, the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 applies to employees in industries engaged in, or producing goods for, interstate commerce. The FLSA establishes a standard work week of 40 hours for certain kinds of workers, and mandates payment for overtime hours to those workers of one and one-half times the workers' normal rate of pay for any time worked above 40 hours.

I know, there is some obscure exemption that makes it legal for R&L to not pay its workers overtime. And since R&L chooses to use this exemption when all the bigboys don't then I call that substandard.

big$driver asked a simple question & right away you get defensive, I wonder why?

I wonder why you are so concerned with R&L Carriers ? Are you scared ? Are you jealous ? Are you aware that your company can't compete with us ? I think that is it...When most of us earn $65,000.00 to $70,000 a year, only someone who is ignorant would call that substandard pay....I believe that ABF's equipment is substandard, as a matter of fact it looks like junk... Why don't you concern yourself with that fact, and mind your own companies business, and your own problems on the ABF forum ?:chairshot:

Most who work for R&L are happy with R&L, and they will still be going when ABF is gone....You worry with ABF and all their problems, we'll worry about R&L and our problems...:funky: If you think ABF is the "Big boys, you need to get a grip...:biglaugh:

Your opinions may or may not be right, but it doesn't address the points that I made.
The "Big Boys" like UPS,ConWay, FedEx,YRC & yes ABF pay overtime. I'll ask again why not R&L?

Worried, I'm not worried, I'm just asking a question. You can use all the silly little smiles you want but why don't you answer the question?

I'm done

I give up, you win, you are right. I'll stop this before a moderator tells us to take it to a PM...... But I would have liked to see you answer the question.

Your opinions may or may not be right, but it doesn't address the points that I made.
The "Big Boys" like UPS,ConWay, FedEx,YRC & yes ABF pay overtime. I'll ask again why not R&L?

Worried, I'm not worried, I'm just asking a question. You can use all the silly little smiles you want but why don't you answer the question?
Most of th drivers I know whose company pays overtime make $2.00 to $3.00 less an hour that we do... Not only is this a fact, but they also rarely get any overtime because their company's don't work them over 40 hour for this very reason... Thus, they are being paid substandard wages...:biglaugh::smilie_132::hysterical::funky:

When most of us earn $65,000.00 to $70,000 a year, only someone who is ignorant would call that substandard pay.... ?:chairshot:

Ignorant? do the math, I did but feel free to check it because someone ignorant like me probably got it wrong.

In order for most of you to earn $70,000 at $23.47 you would have had to work 2982 hours which comes out to roughly
372 days at 8 hours a day which of course can't be done.

$23.47 Straight Time v/s $22.73 + $34.09 OT

10hr days -298= 18 more than my 280
11hr days -271= 25 more than my 246

Of course my formula is flawed, the number of extra 10 or 11 hour days more that you will have to work than me doesn't take into account the fact that all hours that I would work on saturdays, sundays or holidays will be at a premium rate.

Don't bother telling me that we don't make any overtime. EVERYONE in the ABF Avenel N.J. barn makes overtime, even the casuals. No one gets sent home for lack of work. Most men here made $65,000 - $70,000 last year. Those that didn't was only because they didn't want the overtime.....And we get at least 3 weeks vacation, 12 holidays, 3 personal days, 5 sick days, fully paid medical ins & a pension. Thats what the big boys pay.

If you want to avoid the issue of overtime by knocking ABF's equipment then go right ahead. But the fact remains that you have to work a lot more days in order to make the same as the big boys. Yes R&L pays substandard wages.

Someone sounds pissed... They are in our sandbox knocking our company.

I don't get it are you just wishen you could be a cool kid and work at R&L?

I work as little as possible, my life is at home with my kids, dog and taking care of my family. I made high 50's and was one of the lowest in my barn. Go work all your OT wait for your calls work nights, weekends whenever the man calls and you have to jump. I don't want to be tied down to a truck my whole life. If it really gets that bad I'm outta here my family is worth more than a job.

Of course my formula is flawed, the number of extra 10 or 11 hour days more that you will have to work than me doesn't take into account the fact that all hours that I would work on saturdays, sundays or holidays will be at a premium rate.

Work weekends and holidays? No thanks, not even at double pay........

2631, I've got a few questions for you. Don't you ever get tired of making the same arguement to all these different folks in all these different forums? I mean you've been on your crusade for quite some time, are you really accomplishing anything? Or is this just an ego thing? A "you know better than us, here let me help you see the light" kinda deal?

We like our jobs at R&L the way there are. If we didn't we wouldn't of hired on. I knew they didn't pay overtime when I accepted the job. Key word there, make a note of it, "accepted". I'll trade my enjoyable and laidback work enviroment for a few dollars less anytime. And we are talking about a few dollars.
Why is it that you want to change us?? And don't tell me it's for the common good, if thats your rational, you need to get outa a truck and get into politics.
And why is it that every driver I meet from a "brotherhood" affiliated company seems to have the additude that their employers are "out to screw them, so I'm gonna screw them first"?
I've never understood the "it's us vs. them" additude that so seems to permeate some folks being. To go through life with that kinda chip on one's shoulder doesn't sound enjoyable. Of course, neither does living in New jersey, but I digress.

Why can't live my life the way I wish, without someone else insisting that they know how I should live better than I do? Sounds like the Democratic Partys mantra doesn't it?

2631, I've got a few questions for you. Don't you ever get tired of making the same arguement to all these different folks in all these different forums? I mean you've been on your crusade for quite some time, are you really accomplishing anything? Or is this just an ego thing? A "you know better than us, here let me help you see the light" kinda deal?

We like our jobs at R&L the way there are. If we didn't we wouldn't of hired on. I knew they didn't pay overtime when I accepted the job. Key word there, make a note of it, "accepted". I'll trade my enjoyable and laidback work enviroment for a few dollars less anytime. And we are talking about a few dollars.
Why is it that you want to change us?? And don't tell me it's for the common good, if thats your rational, you need to get outa a truck and get into politics.
And why is it that every driver I meet from a "brotherhood" affiliated company seems to have the additude that their employers are "out to screw them, so I'm gonna screw them first"?
I've never understood the "it's us vs. them" additude that so seems to permeate some folks being. To go through life with that kinda chip on one's shoulder doesn't sound enjoyable. Of course, neither does living in New jersey, but I digress.

Why can't live my life the way I wish, without someone else insisting that they know how I should live better than I do? Sounds like the Democratic Partys mantra doesn't it?
I don't know why you guys are so defensive, I only made this suggestion in response to braceface's post.
How about being compensated with overtime pay like all the bigboys do. If they have the money & don't pay their hard working dedicated employees overtime, then IMO thats just plain greed.
As a member of Truckingboards I am intitled to offer my opinion as long as it is done within the rules.
I just checked the R&L site & before this thread I have only made 3 posts on your site
In the past year or so R&L has had at least 4 different drivers in the area that I peddle. They all seemed like decent guys, but they didn't last very long...... For the past 6 months they have had an older driver that appears to really care about his run. This guy covers a large area & busts his butt trying to get everything done. He always has a smile & waves to everyone. All the customers seem to like him. IMO R&L is lucky to have this driver

I agree, every R&L peddle driver that I have come in contact with has been friendly & courteous. Even though they have a lot of work to do & are in a hurry, I have never seen them try & rush the customer or try & jump a truck line like some other truck drivers.

Do they pay overtime? If so is it after 8, 40, 60?

Now how about you checking some sites & show where I started a thread to engage in a crusade or to feed my ego? My debates or arguments are in response to union bashing. Like in the thread that braceface started on the union/nonunion site.......If you don't like my posts then why don't you just put me on your ignore list & then I can't bother you.

You don't work weekends? It says so right thier.... :chairshot::smilie_132:

TruckDiver, I wish I could have put all of those words together so perfectly... Well said my friend...:1036316054:

You don't work weekends? It says so right thier.... :chairshot::smilie_132:

Read it again
It reads WILL not DID, I don't work weekends or holidays.