Holland | Is 12 to 14 Hour shifts the New yrc Holland way now ??

I like my job because I DON'T sit for 4 hours free before I get the big 7.50 breakdown pay. I get layover at my regular hourly rate, not 7.50. I don't pay 96.50 a week for insurance for my family.

seems like most of you guys from OD think you have the world by the balls since you got out of Swift.... no ot, minimum wage for layover and breakdown, and expensive benefits and no pension. sweet....but hey, they treat you great! that's what really means something, being treated well while your being paid substandard overtime, layover, breakdown, and benefits.

I don't know where you're you're getting your information. Yeah it's 7.50/hr as a road driver on breakdown but it starts the minute I call road rescue, not 4 hours. And I don't worry about it because it doesn't happen often because my company can afford new equipment, not rattletrap pieces of ::shit:: held together with baling wire and chewing gum. Same with layover. We don't sit enough to worry about pay. I could care less about getting my hourly rate (which is over $23/hour, how much you making minus 15%?)

Pension??!!?? Are you serious???!!?? Yours is being funded at 25%! At that rate my 401 with company match will pay far more, and yes I have to contribute to my own retirement savings. What a concept. Even if I worked for Holland, I would fall under Central States. I'm 34, there's going to be nothing left there when I'm ready to retire. So my 1/4 contributions from the company help to pay for some other schlep's retirement. What about me?? Who is going to pay for mine??? Nobody, because the fund is going to be BROKE when I'm old enough to retire.

Why do you care about overtime? You're a road driver. Same as me. I choose my path based on what I think is acceptable. I think our city guys deserve o/t. But that's not my fight. Let them fight that battle, I'll worry about my own skin. Union "brothers" talk big about helping their "brother" but y'all don't give a ::shit:: about each other. Give me a break. If you cared about each other why do most union lines run a hog board? How is that looking out for your "brother"? Bullshit!

My contribution to health insurance isn't outrageous compared to some places. Hardly ANYONE on the face of this Earth gets "free" health insurance. And remember, nothing is free. That money comes from somewhere. And YRC is, or was, on the brink of destruction, so they said. Not us. Record profits every month. No layoffs. Nothing but the brightest future ahead.

Don't flatter yourself... We ALL came from somewhere. You think you're a big freight god of a man? Born with a Spicer 4/4 in your hand? Came from Swift?? Yeah, I came from a truckload carrier. Because I had the common sense to get into a sector of the industry that pays something and provides a future. So spare me that stare down your nose. I know I'm not going to change your mind. I'm proud of working for OD. They pay me well, and yes they treat me quite well. WITHOUT having to file grievances and **** and moan and fight and throw a fit to "get respect". That comes automatic.

I don't know where you're you're getting your information. Yeah it's 7.50/hr as a road driver on breakdown but it starts the minute I call road rescue, not 4 hours. And I don't worry about it because it doesn't happen often because my company can afford new equipment, not rattletrap pieces of :::shit::: held together with baling wire and chewing gum. Same with layover. We don't sit enough to worry about pay. I could care less about getting my hourly rate (which is over $23/hour, how much you making minus 15%?)

Pension??!!?? Are you serious???!!?? Yours is being funded at 25%! At that rate my 401 with company match will pay far more, and yes I have to contribute to my own retirement savings. What a concept. Even if I worked for Holland, I would fall under Central States. I'm 34, there's going to be nothing left there when I'm ready to retire. So my 1/4 contributions from the company help to pay for some other schlep's retirement. What about me?? Who is going to pay for mine??? Nobody, because the fund is going to be BROKE when I'm old enough to retire.

Why do you care about overtime? You're a road driver. Same as me. I choose my path based on what I think is acceptable. I think our city guys deserve o/t. But that's not my fight. Let them fight that battle, I'll worry about my own skin. Union "brothers" talk big about helping their "brother" but y'all don't give a :::shit::: about each other. Give me a break. If you cared about each other why do most union lines run a hog board? How is that looking out for your "brother"? :horseshit:!

My contribution to health insurance isn't outrageous compared to some places. Hardly ANYONE on the face of this Earth gets "free" health insurance. And remember, nothing is free. That money comes from somewhere. And YRC is, or was, on the brink of destruction, so they said. Not us. Record profits every month. No layoffs. Nothing but the brightest future ahead.

Don't flatter yourself... We ALL came from somewhere. You think you're a big freight god of a man? Born with a Spicer 4/4 in your hand? Came from Swift?? Yeah, I came from a truckload carrier. Because I had the common sense to get into a sector of the industry that pays something and provides a future. So spare me that stare down your nose. I know I'm not going to change your mind. I'm proud of working for OD. They pay me well, and yes they treat me quite well. WITHOUT having to file grievances and **** and moan and fight and throw a fit to "get respect". That comes automatic.
Well we are replacing our fleet slowly just like everybody else but i do have a question honesty is the key here when im running open board i bring home about 1200-1400 a week bring home just curious to how much u od guys do honstly if i may ask and your willing to tell

Well we are replacing our fleet slowly just like everybody else but i do have a question honesty is the key here when im running open board i bring home about 1200-1400 a week bring home just curious to how much u od guys do honstly if i may ask and your willing to tell

That's very close to what I made as a solo driver... Most weeks 1000-1100 but I had 180/week child support garnished out of my check.

That's very close to what I made as a solo driver... Most weeks 1000-1100 but I had 180/week child support garnished out of my check.

It's kind of powerful having a contract as an hourly employee.To me it's the best part of our job.The financial security that OD ,FedEx ,Conway have is definitely something we don't enjoy.At the end of the day we all do the same thing,....drive trucks to provide for our families.I would bet if yrcf were to close just about every single unemployed driver would love to work for OD,FedEx, ect.After being unemployed for months, attitudes and perspectives change drastically.

I don't know where you're you're getting your information. Yeah it's 7.50/hr as a road driver on breakdown but it starts the minute I call road rescue, not 4 hours. And I don't worry about it because it doesn't happen often because my company can afford new equipment, not rattletrap pieces of :::shit::: held together with baling wire and chewing gum. Same with layover. We don't sit enough to worry about pay. I could care less about getting my hourly rate (which is over $23/hour, how much you making minus 15%?)
get out on the roads lately? we are getting new trucks, and more are coming. and you are thinking of yrcf with bailing wire and gum, Holland will fix stuff as long as your do your job and write up equipment. I know they don't look it, but those old beat down sterlings will blow the doors off a lot of our newer trucks that are more governed.

We don't sit enough to worry about it either, but as an extra board driver, if you set yourself up right, you are looking at a LOT of money from layover if you play your cards right, as well as a lot of miles.
And how is your hourly rate 23, if you guys only get minimum wage for breakdown or layover? and my hourly rate looks fine once you look and see how much you end up paying for your insurance.

now you've pulled out your imaginary crystal ball. and I don't pay into CSPF, I pay into NY state fund.

Why do you care about overtime? You're a road driver. Same as me. I choose my path based on what I think is acceptable. I think our city guys deserve o/t. But that's not my fight. Let them fight that battle, I'll worry about my own skin. Union "brothers" talk big about helping their "brother" but y'all don't give a :::shit::: about each other. Give me a break. If you cared about each other why do most union lines run a hog board? How is that looking out for your "brother"? :horseshit:!
Hog boards are fair, what, you think as you gain seniority that it SHOULDNT count? and you should care about OT, as most other companies offer it.

no it doesn't, that's why you guys don't get OT, and minimum wage for layover and breakdown. that's my point, that's NOT respect.

no it doesn't, that's why you guys don't get OT, and minimum wage for layover and breakdown. that's my point, that's NOT respect.

Your response was woven into my original post so I can't quote the whole thing in this message. I'm just going to touch on a few things you said:

Yeah, you're getting more new trucks. I'm glad you are, you need it to do your jobs well and right. I'm also glad that Holland will fix stuff when written up, as does our shop. We share the road and one of the big responsibilities we have is to keep ourselves and the rest of the motoring public safe.

Set yourself up right on detention? What does that mean? That you are gaming the system to get paid for something that you really don't have coming to you in the first place? Ethics? Getting what you earn? I'd prefer to run the miles I can run and when they call me to work I go in and do what they've got for me and not worry about getting something for nothing. Even when I was at the hotel, $7.50/hr to sit on my ass and do nothing but watch the tube seems pretty good to me. $23/hr would be nice, but really, you think you're worth over $20/hr to sit and do nothing? My hourly rate is $23, or it was when I ran city, or if I run a local shuttle run, such as ATL to Atlanta West or up to North Georgia, two close terminals to ATL. It pays me more to shuttle there on the clock than miles, so we can clock in on the Kronos and get paid hourly to do those. Doesn't happen often, but it's there.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that CSPF is going to be insolvent in a matter of years. I have 30 years left to work. There would be nothing there when I retire. That's why there's talk of slashing pension payments to underfunded pensions, so which would pay more? My investments with a company match or a slashed pension? My guess would be the 401 with company match. And I'm glad for your sake that you're not covered under CSPF, no matter what union line I work for, because of my locale, I would be. Why would I purposefully put myself into that?

Seniority does count. It's called the ability to bid on a schedule. Those guys run every day. On the extraboard, first in/first out is the only way to do it fairly. Most of our guys take a schedule when they get the seniority, which is what I will do, when I get the seniority to get the schedule I want.
You really think that "brother" who has seniority on you and will starve you to death while he's running 3000+ a week cares about you? That's a bunch of crap and you know it. Some of our schedule guys will take a day off to allow more extraboard guys run when it's slow. That's brotherhood.

Respect has nothing to do with filing grievances and all that other crap. It's how you're treated when you walk into work, when you're asked for input on operations based upon your experience. I've covered my opinion on being paid "minimum wage" and o/t. Your company will screw you and your fellow employees with that contract just as much as you stick it to them with it. They look for loopholes in the language everywhere they can. That's not respect.

I know I'm not going to change your mind. I've already said that. But what I won't do is sit around passively and listen to folks bash my employer and me as well for working there. I know a lot of your ilk think we are all rube idiots working for OD. I assure you. We are not.

12-14 hour shifts were here long before The Yellow Pig took over. You dont like working in the cold, dont like overtime, dont like working in the heat. Why dont you pack up your tampons and get a different career.
No ,before the old yellow pig , we could keep it down to 50 hours a week and you are missing the point here is , they want to GROW the company ,BUT nobody will apply , and with these long hours Driver fatigue happens which causes smashed freight & trucks and angry disgrunted workers in disputes over silly things like not folding up freeze blankets , so just SETTLED down , and I am really nice to see that you are always HAPPY HAPPY with the way this company is being run now ... Have a Nice Happy Day , and as for the tampon comment , what a nice happy thought you had !!!!

No ,before the old yellow pig , we could keep it down to 50 hours a week and you are missing the point here is , they want to GROW the company ,BUT nobody will apply , and with these long hours Driver fatigue happens which causes smashed freight & trucks and angry disgrunted workers in disputes over silly things like not folding up freeze blankets , so just SETTLED down , and I am really nice to see that you are always HAPPY HAPPY with the way this company is being run now ... Have a Nice Happy Day , and as for the tampon comment , what a nice happy thought you had !!!!
Never said I was happy happy here. I think I have a post history to back that up. I do however realize what profession I chose and what work conditions that come with said profession 60 hour weeks were the norm before Yellow (I was here before yellow). Working in the cold was the norm. Working in the heat was the norm. You are just a crybaby. Maybe you should have gotten with Dr Winteroff like the rest of the crybaby pansies and spent the winter on light duty.

What you take home doesn't say much....that all depends on your child support,withholdings etc......your taxable gross is the important number. Just sayin'....I claim 13 for withholdings and get a much bigger take home check than guys that claim 0!

We had city guys at JO that made 100k....after 15% they "grossed" 85k.....not bad but thats also working 60 hours every week and quite alot of Saturdays...just not worth it to me. I don't believe when I die that I'll be wishing I had WORKED more....

Never said I was happy happy here. I think I have a post history to back that up. I do however realize what profession I chose and what work conditions that come with said profession 60 hour weeks were the norm before Yellow (I was here before yellow). Working in the cold was the norm. Working in the heat was the norm. You are just a crybaby. Maybe you should have gotten with Dr Winteroff like the rest of the crybaby pansies and spent the winter on light duty.
yrc-atm you such a MACHO MAN , you need to stop taking so many steroids !! bet you one of them tough guys that unloads 800-900 lbs home dels with out a lift gate too , every terminal has a MACHO MAN like you , and keep on patting yourself on the back , as you are the hardest working & fastest & best macho driver Holland has period ................................................ keep up the good work 10-4 good buddy

yrc-atm you such a MACHO MAN , you need to stop taking so many steroids !! bet you one of them tough guys that unloads 800-900 lbs home dels with out a lift gate too , every terminal has a MACHO MAN like you , and keep on patting yourself on the back , as you are the hardest working & fastest & best macho driver Holland has period ................................................ keep up the good work 10-4 good buddy
Never said anything of the sort. Youre just an ass.

You just need more safety meetings..lol. We are going to have 1 every Thursday now..that should fix it!!
Safety meetings must be the "flavor of the month" coming out of corporate. They'll only last for a couple weeks, then it's back nothing again. Don't panic. lol

Never said anything of the sort. Youre just an ass.
Oh YES you did , lets see here calling me a crybaby pansies & comment about tampons , you just think that everybody should be this super worker like you !!! and for you calling me an ass , I know you are ,but what am I ???

As Hollandman73 said.......your take home pay is irrelevant to the discussion since everyone has different deductions.

When asked about your income, list the gross only, then everyone can factor in their own personal withholdings to be sure that we are comparing apples to apples.

Oh YES you did , lets see here calling me a crybaby pansies & comment about tampons , you just think that everybody should be this super worker like you !!! and for you calling me an ass , I know you are ,but what am I ???
I said I do my job and I knew what the job entailed when I got into it. You are crying about being cold. You cry about having to work overtime. You cry that when it is hot. You cry. we have guys like you at my barn and I call them crybabies too. Guys who spend winters on work comp to get out of having to work the dock. THAT is what I said. If you dont like the work conditions get a career in another industry. In the meantime get a tissue for your tears and a tampon for your bleeding gash.

I said I do my job and I knew what the job entailed when I got into it. You are crying about being cold. You cry about having to work overtime. You cry that when it is hot. You cry. we have guys like you at my barn and I call them crybabies too. Guys who spend winters on work comp to get out of having to work the dock. THAT is what I said. If you dont like the work conditions get a career in another industry. In the meantime get a tissue for your tears and a tampon for your bleeding gash.
Nope , like to much to hear your sexual harassment comments , maybe you should read the company policy on sexual harassment comments ??? it's on the wall in the driver's room !!!