XPO | Is anyone working on Sundays? If not , we shouldn't be on the 70 hour log.

I have seen Con-Way Freight equipment on the road on Sundays.
They were probably doing equipment swap's, or somtimes at the end of the month, end of quarter we will let some guy's run so we won't be swamped on monday. Also, if we get snowed out on a friday night and don't run, they will run re-ship on a Sunday during the day. That's a long way from being open for business and running truck's like it talks about in the rules for criteria

We had "zombies" heading out on their runs at night on a 60-hour log. You think anyone is more rested or safer with a 70-hour log? If safety was truly a priority, we would not be "expected" to work 14-hour days that don't include the time spent waiting for your loads so you can punch in and start your 14(16 once a week) hour day. No one is getting proper rest working 70 hours in 5 days, or 16 hours in one day.
Legal? Probably.
Right? No.
Safe? Hell no.
I tried to make that point once before on here and was brutally attacked:732:

We had "zombies" heading out on their runs at night on a 60-hour log. You think anyone is more rested or safer with a 70-hour log? If safety was truly a priority, we would not be "expected" to work 14-hour days that don't include the time spent waiting for your loads so you can punch in and start your 14(16 once a week) hour day. No one is getting proper rest working 70 hours in 5 days, or 16 hours in one day.
Legal? Probably.
Right? No.
Safe? Hell no.

If you don't think it is safe for you, then don't do it.. bid off of it. There are plenty of drivers that do it weekly and are safe..and want the money.

Taken from the the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administrations' guide to hours of service

If your company does operate vehicles every day of the week, your employer may assign you to the 70-hour/8-day schedule. This means that you are not allowed to drive after you’ve been on duty 70 hours in any 8 consecutive days. Once you reach the 70-hour limit, you will not be able to drive again until you have dropped below 70 hours for an 8consecutive-day period. You may do other work, but you cannot do any more driving until you get below the limit. Any other hours you work, whether they are for a motor carrier or someone else, must be added to the total.

Just curious. Thanks for your answers.
I don't have a problem with either way , I'm just wondering is Con-way breaking/bending the rules.
\

Con-Way Freight is part of Con-Way Truckload. In that case we as a company qualify.

Legal? Probably.
Right? No.
Safe? Hell no.

if you are remaining at the terminal waiting for your loads, that time by Federal regulations should be logged as on-duty.

When discussing Zombies and fatigue, how many line-haul drivers take their two 15 minute breaks and their lunch during their travels? Safety remains a personal choice and many put their paycheck ahead of safety... all the while blaming poor or unsafe outcomes on the company. As an individual you should "expect" the possibility of working 14 or more hours, and you should show up to work ready to do it safely.

I believe the intent of the 70-hour/8-day has to do with OTR companies, because we don't run on the weekend's unless it's an over or an equipment exchange, conway is legal doing it(probabley) but I believe they are using loophole's and are violating the intent. I have read over this part of the law over and over and that is my gut feeling, but I could be completley wrong. I'm sure conway had laywer's look at it. They don't open on sunday night they open at 3 am monday morning. But it say's you must have at least part of your fleet running and be open on the weekends.

Our i/b operation starts Sunday nite at 22:00. But the only driving those guys do has Toyota on the steering wheel.

They were probably doing equipment swap's, or somtimes at the end of the month, end of quarter we will let some guy's run so we won't be swamped on monday. Also, if we get snowed out on a friday night and don't run, they will run re-ship on a Sunday during the day. That's a long way from being open for business and running truck's like it talks about in the rules for criteria

All they have to do is run one driver on Sunday to qualify for the 70 hour - 8 day log. It doesn't matter why he's running.

I work yard hostling throught the weekat night FAC . I sign up for extra line haul runs on weekend and YES I do run on SUNDAY.

I will go on the record and predict that when they release the new HOS rules they will be as follow's: 13 hour's max on duty, 10 hour's drive time, and you must show a thirty minute break after being on duty for more than 7 hour's. We should find out any day because the way I understand it the decision has been made, just waiting on them to release it. Really this talk about 60/7 day's or 70/8 day's doesn't matter because nothing is changing on that, except we would only be able to work a total of 65 hour's in 5 day's