XPO | Is anyone working on Sundays? If not , we shouldn't be on the 70 hour log.

I believe the intent of the 70-hour/8-day has to do with OTR companies, because we don't run on the weekend's unless it's an over or an equipment exchange, conway is legal doing it(probabley) but I believe they are using loophole's and are violating the intent. I have read over this part of the law over and over and that is my gut feeling, but I could be completley wrong. I'm sure conway had laywer's look at it. They don't open on sunday night they open at 3 am monday morning. But it say's you must have at least part of your fleet running and be open on the weekends.
We start at 2200 Sunday night. So keep trying,just put on your big boy pants and get over it.

If you don't think it is safe for you, then don't do it.. bid off of it. There are plenty of drivers that do it weekly and are safe..and want the money.
I agree with you. I have never in my life seen grown men cry as much as these babies do. I do 70 hours a week as well as a bunch of other guys out of my barn and no we are not complaining at all. Hell I would like to work 80 a week,do it while I can now so when when I'm 60+ I won't have to.

We had "zombies" heading out on their runs at night on a 60-hour log. You think anyone is more rested or safer with a 70-hour log? If safety was truly a priority, we would not be "expected" to work 14-hour days that don't include the time spent waiting for your loads so you can punch in and start your 14(16 once a week) hour day. No one is getting proper rest working 70 hours in 5 days, or 16 hours in one day.
Legal? Probably.
Right? No.
Safe? Hell no.
If you are not punching the clock at your show up time then you are in violation of the law. All time spent waiting on loads is on duty not driving, so it's your fault if you put in more than 14 or the 16 once a week. And don't give me that crap about how you wouldn't have time to complete your run. When time is up you get picked up, simple.

If you are not punching the clock at your show up time then you are in violation of the law. All time spent waiting on loads is on duty not driving, so it's your fault if you put in more than 14 or the 16 once a week. And don't give me that crap about how you wouldn't have time to complete your run. When time is up you get picked up, simple.
First off, not me. I see others in that position. Also, I have been here long enough to know that punching in as soon as you arrive will last about one day. It's been talked about for years.

First off, not me. I see others in that position. Also, I have been here long enough to know that punching in as soon as you arrive will last about one day. It's been talked about for years.

I thought company policy was that you were supposed to punch at your hook time the company gives you if the freight is not ready. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree with you. I have never in my life seen grown men cry as much as these babies do. I do 70 hours a week as well as a bunch of other guys out of my barn and no we are not complaining at all. Hell I would like to work 80 a week,do it while I can now so when when I'm 60+ I won't have to.
Doesn't sound like you will be very happy when they release the new HOS in a couple of week's, we shall see. This mandatory break that they are talking about implementing is really going to tick L/H driver's, if they go with it and I think they will. I'm not sure this board reflects what guy's think about the 11hr and 14hr issue, if you could get ALL the guy's that are running the 70 to fill out an anonymous survey on what they want, then we could have an acccurate picture. Not by guy's working the city or guy's working 55-60 that like it because they don't have to fill out a re-cap, just the guy's locked in to the mandatory 70. The bigger issue in this country is why does guy's have to work 80 hours a week to maintain their standard of living? Over thanksgiving I asked my father-inlaw what he was making back in the 70's and 80's as a coalminer. He pulled out a box with his tax return's and pulled out 1980. He made $62,578.00 and had full across the board benifits. That was alot of money in 1980 and he said he worked about 45-50 hours a week. His wife didn't have to work. compare the cost of goods in 1980 to 2011 and that is why we must have either somebody working 80 hours in 5 day's, or the wife working 40 hours along with your 80 to maintain the same standard of living that they had in the 70's and 80's. It's the free trade policy's that have caused this, because the only way we can compete with china and mexico is to bring our standard of living down, because their are way to many of them for us to bring their standard of living up. We got :fan: on by our polititions and big mutli-national corparations that free trade was a great policy, FREE TRADE? When they pay their worker's 30 cents an hour and have no enviromental regulation's, What is free about that? Also, what are we going to sell people that make a couple of dollar's a day? A toothbrush?

Doesn't sound like you will be very happy when they release the new HOS in a couple of week's, we shall see. This mandatory break that they are talking about implementing is really going to tick L/H driver's, if they go with it and I think they will. I'm not sure this board reflects what guy's think about the 11hr and 14hr issue, if you could get ALL the guy's that are running the 70 to fill out an anonymous survey on what they want, then we could have an acccurate picture. Not by guy's working the city or guy's working 55-60 that like it because they don't have to fill out a re-cap, just the guy's locked in to the mandatory 70. The bigger issue in this country is why does guy's have to work 80 hours a week to maintain their standard of living? Over thanksgiving I asked my father-inlaw what he was making back in the 70's and 80's as a coalminer. He pulled out a box with his tax return's and pulled out 1980. He made $62,578.00 and had full across the board benifits. That was alot of money in 1980 and he said he worked about 45-50 hours a week. His wife didn't have to work. compare the cost of goods in 1980 to 2011 and that is why we must have either somebody working 80 hours in 5 day's, or the wife working 40 hours along with your 80 to maintain the same standard of living that they had in the 70's and 80's. It's the free trade policy's that have caused this, because the only way we can compete with china and mexico is to bring our standard of living down, because their are way to many of them for us to bring their standard of living up. We got :fan: on by our polititions and big mutli-national corparations that free trade was a great policy, FREE TRADE? When they pay their worker's 30 cents an hour and have no enviromental regulation's, What is free about that? Also, what are we going to sell people that make a couple of dollar's a day? A toothbrush?

You shouldn't worry about other peoples pay..if they want to work and make the most that they can..then so be it.. you should bid city if you can't hang with the line haulers..

You shouldn't worry about other peoples pay..if they want to work and make the most that they can..then so be it.. you should bid city if you can't hang with the line haulers..
Sorry you don't like it, but I do worry about what peolpe get paid. People can work and make as much as they can, as long as it doesn't effect the safety and well being of everybody else. The reason i worry about what people are getting paid is it's a shame to see this country slowly bled dry and the manufacturing base destroyed. My point is how many hours are we going to have to work in this country 10-20 years from now in order to maintain a middle class? The middle class was making $50 to $70 thousand 30 years ago, and slowly as the price of everything from gas to healthcare to soda has went up, our wages havn't. So we have to work 70 hours and the wife has to work 40 or 50 hours just to try and maintain a middle class. This isn't about con-way, but i am worried about what my kids are going to be able to do and are they going to have it better than I did? Isn't that what we as a country do, as parents, want to leave a better country to our chrildren? I'm really concerned about this for the first time, our children will not have it as good as we did. $10 an hour service jobs and everybody working 80 hours a week. So i do worry about what people are getting paid, it sounds like you don't worry about anything, except the next day.

Sorry you don't like it, but I do worry about what peolpe get paid. People can work and make as much as they can, as long as it doesn't effect the safety and well being of everybody else. The reason i worry about what people are getting paid is it's a shame to see this country slowly bled dry and the manufacturing base destroyed. My point is how many hours are we going to have to work in this country 10-20 years from now in order to maintain a middle class? The middle class was making $50 to $70 thousand 30 years ago, and slowly as the price of everything from gas to healthcare to soda has went up, our wages havn't. So we have to work 70 hours and the wife has to work 40 or 50 hours just to try and maintain a middle class. This isn't about con-way, but i am worried about what my kids are going to be able to do and are they going to have it better than I did? Isn't that what we as a country do, as parents, want to leave a better country to our chrildren? I'm really concerned about this for the first time, our children will not have it as good as we did. $10 an hour service jobs and everybody working 80 hours a week. So i do worry about what people are getting paid, it sounds like you don't worry about anything, except the next day.
50-70 thousand 30 years ago was not middle class. I would consider my Parents middle class and combined they only make about 80k. LTL Truck drivers if the spouse has a decent income I would consider upper middle class. I make less than the average Con-way driver with no 2nd income and my family of 4 is well into middle class no where near falling out.

50-70 thousand 30 years ago was not middle class. I would consider my Parents middle class and combined they only make about 80k. LTL Truck drivers if the spouse has a decent income I would consider upper middle class. I make less than the average Con-way driver with no 2nd income and my family of 4 is well into middle class no where near falling out.
well, whatever the numbers are really don't matter, if you don't understand what I'm talking about I can't explain it to you.

well, whatever the numbers are really don't matter, if you don't understand what I'm talking about I can't explain it to you.
My point is a LTL driver can make a dang good living without working extra long hours. Its how you manage your money that matters most. If you live withing your means you can have a nice house and cars and enjoy life on 50k a year if there are 2 incomes. I know plenty of people who work for $16-20 and hour 40 hours a week who do just fine.

My point is a LTL driver can make a dang good living without working extra long hours. Its how you manage your money that matters most. If you live withing your means you can have a nice house and cars and enjoy life on 50k a year if there are 2 incomes. I know plenty of people who work for $16-20 and hour 40 hours a week who do just fine.
And I agree with that statement 100%. Do you think the country is headed in the right direction and do you think your kids will be better off than you are? Not just your kids, in general do you beleive that most peoples kid's will be better off than their parents?

Do you accept the fact that wages have not gone up in real terms in the last 30 years? But the price of almost everything has went way up, so it takes alot more money to maintain the same standard of living? That is what I believe maybe you don't, thats fine. I would like to see that trend slowed down and reversed.

Do you accept the fact that wages have not gone up in real terms in the last 30 years? But the price of almost everything has went way up, so it takes alot more money to maintain the same standard of living? That is what I believe maybe you don't, thats fine. I would like to see that trend slowed down and reversed.
What you are advocating is takin money away from drivers..and costing trucking companies more money.. I'll have plenty of money at retirement..that's all I'm worried about. There is nothing we are going to do about inflation.

Food prices have went up anyway. Typically , the price of goods and services goes up over time - period. It is not caused by a change in HOS rules.