XPO | Is Conway a good company to work for?

tallcityboy

TB Lurker
Credits
I am thinking about applying in St. Louis, MO. Conway has been running ads for Drivers and Driver Trainees. I have read about the first 10 pages of threads, but I would like some current information, especially about the St. Louis terminal.

How often could I expect to work? Full time or part time?

Do new drivers work P&D, linehaul, or both?

Is getting hired on this time of year for vacations, or will it last until winter?

Is the insurance coverage really only $10K coverage for the first year?

FYI, I have no LTL experience. I worked in the beverage industry for 10 years throwing cases, but it was very hard on the body.

All replies, good or bad appreciated. Thanks

Been here 20+ years.
It used to be a great company now it's just like the rest of them.
If I was in your shoes right now I'd really look into getting on with Old Dominion.
If you do decide to try it out here, expect to work the dock.
Alot!
You might be nights.
You might be days.
You might be both on the same day (split shift).
Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Thanks thestrap. Are you saying I would work the dock alot, and drive? Or mainly work the dock? Do most terminals have split shifts? Do you know if St. Louis is a busy terminal? Thanks again.

Why would anyone work for Old Dominion? They do not pay overtime after 8 or 40hrs.

Been here 20+ years.
It used to be a great company now it's just like the rest of them.
If I was in your shoes right now I'd really look into getting on with Old Dominion.
If you do decide to try it out here, expect to work the dock.
Alot!
You might be nights.
You might be days.
You might be both on the same day (split shift).
Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Old Dominion does not pay any overtime whatsoever, not a place I want to work at.

in saint louis you will get overtime pay after 40 unless you run linehaul, then you wouldnt ever see overtime unless you spent over 8 hours on the dock at one terminal........having said that i run the saint louis reship every night and have thought i was going to see 8 hours on the dock there, kidding (i think?)

They pay good wages. I think old Con-Job will be a step up from a pop truck. I've been here a long time,25+ yrs. Get on full time if you can,see for your self,you might like it,If not,find something else and move on. That's what I keep telling myself LOL. IT IS WHAT IT IS.........Good Luck.

Run, run away very fast and look else where,company has changed alot and more changes every day, and most are not for the better!

You can make a lot of money here. You'll be on the flexboard. First year insurance is major medical only! That 10,000 that you speak of is the maximum out of pocket, for the year, should you be hospitalized, buy hey it's basicly free. It's an 80/20 plan after the 2000 deductible. After the first year, you can get the real insurance coverage. No dental or vision in first year. No retirement savings for new-hires whatsoever. In St. Louis you would get OT after 8 hours on the clock. Top pay is 24.50 or something..not sure exactly. But that 's after 5 years.

If you could jump into this job with 7 or 8 years seniority, then you would like it, but it's tough at the bottom. That's why they have so much turnover in the first few years. You would think that would be a red flag to management that something isn't working, but I guess not.

if you have tossed soda for ten years this would be easier on your body. Delivering soda is often considered a position of "Driver-Salesman". This looks good on a resume for an LTL company. With this company being a driver means loading, unloading, and driving. The success of this company comes from the ability to be able to react daily to shifts in business and volume, hence the need for a flex board. This is a good time to hire in, vacations are ramping up soon and business levels are increasing. St. Louis is a large terminal with lots of opportunities. But those opportunities could be mornings, afternoons, evenings, or line-haul runs. This is a large corporation and driving positions can be considered careers. I agree with the other posters that first year benefits seem weak. But from the corporate side, the cost to hire and train is always increasing and I believe statistically this group (first year drivers) has the highest turnover rate. Some will argue the lack of first year benefits cause this but the numbers say our culture is the toughest challenge for first year employees. Some of the most successful drivers here have a background in the grocery transportation industry.

Can you make a lot of money here... yes
Does the first year offer challenges to balancing work and home... yes

Instead of focusing on the first 10 pages of this company's forum, try comparing the subject matter of the first 2 pages of the top 5 carriers. And the time-line incurred to produce those 2 pages for each carrier.

Thanks for all the replies guys. My job now for a government contractor pays the bills, but has all different hours. So working all three shifts in the same week is difficult, but I have done it. We get a $ amount for Health and Welfare, but I have to purchase my own individual health policy because what the company offers SUCKS. Their plan is over $600 a month just for me, and doesn't cover squat.

I'm just worried about not getting enough hours. I can't just work one or two days a week for the first couple of years. I know you have to pay your dues and start at the bottom, but will it be worth my while to stick around?

Thanks for all the replies guys. My job now for a government contractor pays the bills, but has all different hours. So working all three shifts in the same week is difficult, but I have done it. We get a $ amount for Health and Welfare, but I have to purchase my own individual health policy because what the company offers SUCKS. Their plan is over $600 a month just for me, and doesn't cover squat.

I'm just worried about not getting enough hours. I can't just work one or two days a week for the first couple of years. I know you have to pay your dues and start at the bottom, but will it be worth my while to stick around?

I just celebrated 23 years with this company and what I said 21 years ago still goes... I would not quit this company to go to work for another trucking company, I'd quit to get away from the industry.

The FMCSA Hours of service regulations prevents working multiple shifts in one week. Three shifts in one week would not happen. Long unusual shifts yes, burning the candle at both ends being caused by an employer, no. St. Louis is a big town, big terminal. Open applications for terminals are not posted on the company website unless there is truly a need for more drivers.

Does this company offer an opportunity for a career (long term employment), yes.

There is not a lot of laying off, especially at a large service center. At our place if there is no driving for you, then there is plenty of dock work. And the pay stays the same as if you were driving. temps. and dockworkers would be laid off before any driver. As a Conway driver you are able to work whereever the work is even at other SC's. We have one seniority board, so all positions are available to you. The last driver in Dallas that was laid-off was in 2008

there have been walk-abouts (borrowed drivers from other terminals) working the dock (and running linehaul runs, i assume) at st. louis for the past month or so, so i would definitely say they are short drivers and hours would be available to work. I can ask when I'm there monday night and post back my findings if it helps you out, OP

Been here Ten Years I don't like everything they do nor Do I agree with it but they seem to know what they are doing I still have a job they Keep me Working and My Family Fed there is a lot to be said for that I wont Paint you a Rosey Picture but Ill say this Don't matter where you go there is going to be problem's and *******s all in all its a real decent place to work . You will hear a lot of folks whining and Bitching but after awhile you will realize its just that cause they know who's putting the Bacon on the Table they not going no where so I hope this helps you make a choice !!

Trucker clock, that would be great.

Thanks for the info Con F Trucker. Keep the info coming everyone!

conway fool, I'm not sure what subservice is, as I have no LTL experience. Could you elaborate?

I appreciate any info anyone has. I don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire, so I would like enough of Conway's drivers thoughts to help me make my decision.

Thanks

Trucker clock, that would be great.

Thanks for the info Con F Trucker. Keep the info coming everyone!

conway fool, I'm not sure what subservice is, as I have no LTL experience. Could you elaborate?

I appreciate any info anyone has. I don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire, so I would like enough of Conway's drivers thoughts to help me make my decision.

Thanks

Sub -Service = outside Carriers Conway truckload , Swift ,ect , They are Supposed to run Only the miles where we would have to run empty miles this is supposed to cut down on the Empty miles we run how much it actually saves the Company I'm not privileged to these numbers lol in some caes's it actually creates work for us breaking pup's and shoveling the freight to there vans in other case's it loose's linehaul miles to linehaul drivers I'm sure there is benifit to the Company or they would not do it now how much work we loose or gain from it again not privileged to this info !! I do feel we do too much of this at time's but again I'm not an expert and not Privileged to the actual figures !!

I would say it depends. Don't listen to the people that say this is worse than hell, but don't listen to those that tell you this is driving bliss either. It's a very good driving job, top ten easy probably top 5 on my opinion, but it's still a driving job and it sucks till you have some seniority.

Most of the people I see shredding this place on a daily basis in our All-Star drivers room couldn't make 50k with two jobs if they left here but that all is what it is. I drove otr and would say this is a top 10 driving job with UPS, FedEx Freight, OD, and Wal*Mart being better. Still, CWF is pretty good of u ask me..