XPO | Is Conway a good company to work for?

I started at conway last month. My previous experience as a professional driver has been seven years of food and beverage, similar to what you've been doing. My previous employer shut down my shuttle yard and theyre currently running all of their loads out of the warehouse which is about 100 miles away. I wasnt willing to follow the work, so I got into conway.

The hiring process was relatively swift. I started training less than 2 weeks after I filled out my application. Training was a 2 week course, 40 hrs pay per week but you'll probably be training a little more than 40hrs each week. First week was mostly sitting around in a room watching videos. It was boring, and a lot of the videos were out-dated and irrelavant, but hell, I was getting paid for it. The next week was city/linehaul training. Two days shadowing a city driver, three days shadowing a linehaul driver. I learned a lot more this week because it was all hands-on, in the field, etc. My first two weeks after training were on linehaul flex. Basically you call in at 4pm for a start time and you start sometime between 6pm and 8pm. There were no runs for me to do for the entire two weeks so I'd work the dock til about midnight and get sent home, about 30 hrs per week. These past two weeks, I've been on city flex. I call in for a start time at 830am and start sometime between 2pm and 6pm, and work until sometime between midnight and 4am depending if I run anywhere. It's kind of ironic that I did no linehaul driving on linehaul but I would get linehaul turns while on the city flex. I also get some night-appointment city runs on the city flex.

I would say that this place pays very well and has good benefits. Starting pay as of april 1 is $19/hr and topping out at 24/hr after 5 years. Overtime after 8 hrs, but it may be different for your region ie overtime after 40. Mileage pay starts at .45 cpm and tops out at .55cpm in 5 years (not 100% sure but around there).Health insurance is great for a non-union co. First year health insurance is decent good. $10 or $0 per week for single depending on if you smoke and if you take some online health assesment, although this plan will cost you a hefty amount if you have to see the doctor. After the first year, you get a four different options of coverage with different premium and benefit levels, all of which are a relatively good deal. I would say the only caveat is that there's no employer 401k contribution. They had an employer match before but it was cut during the recession and they haven't got it back yet. Maybe it's in the works but I haven't heard anything concrete. Equipment here is good as theyre replacing the older sterlings with new freightliner cascadias.

As for coming from a bev company, you just have to learn to cope with working on call. Kind of hard to have a social/family life that way, but with the rampant turnover, you'll climb up the ladder pretty quick (at least in the bigger terminals). As far as I know, all linehaul runs are 1-shift turns so you wouln't be spending days away from home. Whether you choose to go city or linehaul, you could probably get a regular start time within a year.

btw a subservice carrier is an over the road carrier that takes conway's LTL freight from one conway terminal to another terminal in some of the longer lanes. It saves the company money by having cheap labor move the frieght.

edit: con-f-trucker's explanation of subservice may be better than mine.. I think he posted while I was typing my post

Whether it's a good company to work for is a judgement call. The company is constantly changing. I have it pretty good, but it took 20 years to get here. It's tough at first, but that's standard in the LTL business.

My personal opinion is this,having been around our industry for the past 40 yrs I will say that if you can hang through for a while and get done with the tough stuff at the start of your CAREER there is no better company to work for.However you will scrath your head and wonder WHY am I doing this.But its OK.

The hours are difficult. But I too did time on a pop truck. And the work is much easier. Truck pulls trailers. And motors pulls the freight. Much easier on the body. And the pay ain't bad at all. I was barely over $40K a year on my pop truck. Have been over $60K a year my first three here at Con-way.

The biggest headache by far is the old timers crying. Takes a lot of getting used too.

I started at conway last month. My previous experience as a professional driver has been seven years of food and beverage, similar to what you've been doing. My previous employer shut down my shuttle yard and theyre currently running all of their loads out of the warehouse which is about 100 miles away. I wasnt willing to follow the work, so I got into conway.

The hiring process was relatively swift. I started training less than 2 weeks after I filled out my application. Training was a 2 week course, 40 hrs pay per week but you'll probably be training a little more than 40hrs each week. First week was mostly sitting around in a room watching videos. It was boring, and a lot of the videos were out-dated and irrelavant, but hell, I was getting paid for it. The next week was city/linehaul training. Two days shadowing a city driver, three days shadowing a linehaul driver. I learned a lot more this week because it was all hands-on, in the field, etc. My first two weeks after training were on linehaul flex. Basically you call in at 4pm for a start time and you start sometime between 6pm and 8pm. There were no runs for me to do for the entire two weeks so I'd work the dock til about midnight and get sent home, about 30 hrs per week. These past two weeks, I've been on city flex. I call in for a start time at 830am and start sometime between 2pm and 6pm, and work until sometime between midnight and 4am depending if I run anywhere. It's kind of ironic that I did no linehaul driving on linehaul but I would get linehaul turns while on the city flex. I also get some night-appointment city runs on the city flex.

I would say that this place pays very well and has good benefits. Starting pay as of april 1 is $19/hr and topping out at 24/hr after 5 years. Overtime after 8 hrs, but it may be different for your region ie overtime after 40. Mileage pay starts at .45 cpm and tops out at .55cpm in 5 years (not 100% sure but around there).Health insurance is great for a non-union co. First year health insurance is decent good. $10 or $0 per week for single depending on if you smoke and if you take some online health assesment, although this plan will cost you a hefty amount if you have to see the doctor. After the first year, you get a four different options of coverage with different premium and benefit levels, all of which are a relatively good deal. I would say the only caveat is that there's no employer 401k contribution. They had an employer match before but it was cut during the recession and they haven't got it back yet. Maybe it's in the works but I haven't heard anything concrete. Equipment here is good as theyre replacing the older sterlings with new freightliner cascadias.

As for coming from a bev company, you just have to learn to cope with working on call. Kind of hard to have a social/family life that way, but with the rampant turnover, you'll climb up the ladder pretty quick (at least in the bigger terminals). As far as I know, all linehaul runs are 1-shift turns so you wouln't be spending days away from home. Whether you choose to go city or linehaul, you could probably get a regular start time within a year.

btw a subservice carrier is an over the road carrier that takes conway's LTL freight from one conway terminal to another terminal in some of the longer lanes. It saves the company money by having cheap labor move the frieght.

edit: con-f-trucker's explanation of subservice may be better than mine.. I think he posted while I was typing my post

If your in the South there is no overtime Pay after 8 or after 40 hrs per week Us Southerners have to work 50 to get recognized for overtime I have asked many times why this is and well Con~way is very good at skating around it and never giving you a good answer . and we make less per mile and bye the hr than the North as well .53 per mile and 22.04 per hr hope this helps a little

Thanks for all the replies guys. It sounds like if you can put up with the on call BS, it might be a good job. I work on call alot now, so maybe this won't be too difficult. Sounds like it will have better pay and benefits than I have now, so I think I will apply soon.

Any body have an idea how many they are hiring in St. Louis, MO?

Is it hard to learn how to pull doubles?

Again, thanks for the replies.

Thanks for all the replies guys. It sounds like if you can put up with the on call BS, it might be a good job. I work on call alot now, so maybe this won't be too difficult. Sounds like it will have better pay and benefits than I have now, so I think I will apply soon.

learning to pull doubles is all about respect. You have to respect the set. I would rather pull three 28's around than one 53'. Pulling doubles is all about defensive driving. Let nothing sneak up on you. Good eye-lead time and good following distance will prevent erratic, reactive behavior on your part. And this produces smooth. Everything you do with a set requires S.M.O.O.T.H.
Self
Management
Of
Our
Total
Habits

If your in the South there is no overtime Pay after 8 or after 40 hrs per week Us Southerners have to work 50 to get recognized for overtime I have asked many times why this is and well Con~way is very good at skating around it and never giving you a good answer . and we make less per mile and bye the hr than the North as well .53 per mile and 22.04 per hr hope this helps a little

We were told as far as ot goes, "because we don't have too" and " you're not marketable in the south for ot after 8."
Word for word.........
Falls under the Integrity core value, I guess.

pulling doubles aint no different than pulling a long box..just keep checking your mirrors to make sure that second trailer is still back there..

This is an excellent company for making money. I have never made so much with any other job. Its hard balancing work with family though. That is really the only drawback I think but that goes along with being a truckdriver. I struggle every week to balance the need for money to pay the bills with being there for my wife and children. I used to be OTR for less $$$ though so it could be worse. I have 8, almost 9 years in with this outfit and have NO intention on leaving this job. Its as good as you want to make it I guess. Good luck and have a safe trip.

Thanks again guys for all of the replies. Give me some more of the good, and the bad, too. I'm gonna finish my application tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Best of luck too you in your Quest for a Job at Con~way once you get past all the BS its really not a bad place to Work Best advice I can give any newbie is this Take your time do your job right people that come in here storming Norman working hard and fast trying to impress folks end up firing themselves cos they damage too much Freight have accidents ect I've seen many a good driver fire himself by stupid errors that didn't need to happen all cos he wouldn't slow down the Key to this job is Slow But Steady Safety First they Preach it you live it pretty Simple !! Good luck once again !!

When you first get hired, do you do a little of everything until you can bid for a start time? i.e. City, linehaul, dock (apparently alot from some of the posts,lol.) One of my buddies works at UPSF and used to drive, but now he works overnight on the dock.

Best of luck too you in your Quest for a Job at Con~way once you get past all the BS its really not a bad place to Work Best advice I can give any newbie is this Take your time do your job right people that come in here storming Norman working hard and fast trying to impress folks end up firing themselves cos they damage too much Freight have accidents ect I've seen many a good driver fire himself by stupid errors that didn't need to happen all cos he wouldn't slow down the Key to this job is Slow But Steady Safety First they Preach it you live it pretty Simple !! Good luck once again !!
Just make sure you get your 10 motor moves an hour...

What the heck is a motor move?

Got the application done today, just waiting now. At least I have a job, so no big hurry. Any more advice is welcomed. The more I know, the better.

Thanks.

don't try and figure out why we do the things we do.... just do it. Be safe, work hard, you will need to be flexible until you get a bid position. Once hired, you will get a feel for your co-workers, you will be able to tell which DSR you can approach for help or to give you the straight answers to any questions you have. Not everything we do makes sense, try to absorb as much as possible from the more experienced drivers.