Holland | Is Holland a good place to work?

First of all I voted against all 3 mou's and the original contract. Secondly I'm a steward and am pretty familiar with the mou. They can't work part time employees with full time employees on layoff. If there are drivers on layoff, the company can use those laid off employees as 4 hour part timers. They can't use the 4 hour part timers that were hired off the street. Of course I'm not sure how it works in the south, you people like to have your right to work laws and then cry when the union is powerless to help you. But if that is what they are doing at your barn you best be filing on the lost work.
Just so you know,they have worked casuals in JO with people laid off.The unions explanation is that as long as they offer the laid off workers the work first and they do not accept it they can use casuals.This is supposed to be in some letter of understanding,that I myself has yet to see.Then on the other hand the ten that were laid off,should have never been.I did not slow down at all.We just bagged loads,missed cut off times,and pretty much just pissed off customers.

Our TM told us that the lay offs came directly from YRC in KC, they were quessing a slow down so lay people off. I quess that is why YRC is in the shape they are in. They laid people off in GR but are working them.

Just so you know,they have worked casuals in JO with people laid off.The unions explanation is that as long as they offer the laid off workers the work first and they do not accept it they can use casuals.This is supposed to be in some letter of understanding,that I myself has yet to see.Then on the other hand the ten that were laid off,should have never been.I did not slow down at all.We just bagged loads,missed cut off times,and pretty much just pissed off customers.
Yep was out for 31 days for this in 94. What a waste, should have just let them do it back then.

Not a bad place to work been with holland since 10-11-2011 only been layed off once after thanksgiving and got more hours while on lay off than I did when I was not on lay off they just brought me back on 1-3-2012. All in all not bad as long as holland don't go down with the yrc ship

Yep was out for 31 days for this in 94. What a waste, should have just let them do it back then.
I couldn't agree more. And the quality of help being hired is reflected in their pay. These morons have never even seen a forklift before much less used one. Pretty sure that the pre-employment drug screens were waived as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sucks but yeah, if they offered the work to the laid off drivers and they turn it down, then they can use casuals. Nobody laid off in MI yet and casuals being used regularly. I work inbound and have seen plenty freight leftover from the night before that they couldn't or wouldn't move. We never saw a slow down, and are moving the same if not more freight then we did in summer. Like was posted, the layoffs come from corporate and have nothing to do with the freight volume, but more so because of the time of year. Not sure why we have TM's anymore besides to just write warning letters for stubbing your toe.

Sad to see what has happened to the great company I started with in '91 at MS, 1st as casual, then city/dock combo (on the list in 3 months), then to line haul 3 months later. Was never laid off, no givebacks (those came after I left), worked every day, even as casual until retiring in 2007. Operating ratio in those early days was I believe in the low 80's. I guess those days are over now since Yellow has their claws in it. Too

I'd like to add on to what speedball said.......I retired 2 years ago with Holland and put in 30 years with them. I started in 1981 when the Coopers owned Holland. In the beginning it was a great company to work for making money hands over!!!!! It was the best for sure. Than we were sold to TNT.....started to change at that point.....than sold to USF Corp....... started to decline.... finally bought by YRC and went to hell in a hand baskets. Over the 30 years I spent with Holland, the company went from one of the best to barely hanging on now due to YRC......thank God I retired.....had enough of the crap.

I'd like to add on to what speedball said.......I retired 2 years ago with Holland and put in 30 years with them. I started in 1981 when the Coopers owned Holland. In the beginning it was a great company to work for making money hands over!!!!! It was the best for sure. Than we were sold to TNT.....started to change at that point.....than sold to USF Corp....... started to decline.... finally bought by YRC and went to hell in a hand baskets. Over the 30 years I spent with Holland, the company went from one of the best to barely hanging on now due to YRC......thank God I retired.....had enough of the crap.
You would never belive what goes on here now,even if you seen it with your own eyes.

You would never belive what goes on here now,even if you seen it with your own eyes.

When I retired at the time, our pension was frozen, we had to kick back 15@ of our pay, of course they took away our ham at x mas and birthday gift also (cheap B***ard) than to top it off give back a week of vacation. Let me clarify something I am not a driver I worked in the office (union) of course. We fought tooth and nail to get into the union. At that time Mike G. was president he tried everything to dissuade us from joining. Thank God we got in for sure.

When I retired it was really bad. Gave up my pension, 15% back on pay, no ham for x-mas,no birthday gift and finally gave back a week of vacation. 30 years with Holland and finally had enough!!!!

I put in a total of 43 years in trucking started with Mid American Line in 1969 back than trucking was prosperous and easy to get a job. Let me say this Holland NOT YRC is a good company but YRC as we know are pulling the strings

Word to the driver reference a terminal by number and not by AT, NA, BI, MS OR SMETHING LIKE THAT pay no attention thats a yellow driver not holland... 2 totally different companies just owned by the same POS owner.

City Guys are getting their 40 because we r still wrking casuals in atlanta. All the guys know what time 2 come to wrk be 4 the leave wrk so ur not on call.

if you like old trucks junk trailers and pay cuts its agreat place to work oh I almost for got if your a road driver'crapy motels at least that's what I got the 7 yrs I was there

if you like old trucks junk trailers and pay cuts its agreat place to work oh I almost for got if your a road driver'crapy motels at least that's what I got the 7 yrs I was there
You said it,we are a bottom feeder company.

I was a usf road driver for years before that a tnt driver,I was amazed how fast bill zoellers and company ran the whole thing into the ground put a lot of good men out of jobs with all the usf company's,I will say this I do now no the meaning of ceneregy I just hope the ibt learned it to I am still road driver just will never drive one with orange fenders again.

I was a usf road driver for years before that a tnt driver,I was amazed how fast bill zoellers and company ran the whole thing into the ground put a lot of good men out of jobs with all the usf company's,I will say this I do now no the meaning of ceneregy I just hope the ibt learned it to I am still road driver just will never drive one with orange fenders again.
Never say never!!

Got a call from the TM in Charlotte about a linehaul position. Can you guys give me some info. on Holland Linehaul. Pay, bennies, etc...?

I sell for Holland...While I cannot tell you much about the job from an operational standpoint, I can tell you the pressure that the officers have placed on us to get NEW business is no joke! They want those trailers loaded with good paying freight! Good luck with your interview at the CN terminal.
Got a call from the TM in Charlotte about a linehaul position. Can you guys give me some info. on Holland Linehaul. Pay, bennies, etc...?