Yellow | Is Roadway requesting laid off teamsters to resign, then come back as casuals?

and...

Forgot to mention... about cutting costs... management has been told to find a way to cut the costs or they (management) would be asked to resign or take early retirement. Not the Teamsters.

yeah, with the amount of freight our terminal gets we only need 2 supervisors and a ATM, more would hurt the terminal costs and less would hurt the terminal costs

If they are using June 15 as the cut off point, then you have to guess that`s when the COO will go into effect. There will be even less freight at 120 as they will run most of it ,if not all, into Maybrook. Less freight= less dockworkers.:smilie_132:
Keep your lay-off status and tell'em to shove the resignation letter. The way this outfit likes COO's (They come more often than rain in Seattle),,your job may well be headed back to in a year or two.

I'd almost bet that if anyone did resign on the dock to be a casual that they would be one of those 14 dollar an hour casual!:nutkick:

I really wanted to make a post to this thread in order to get it back up front, because this is a topic that everyone should keep at the front of their minds. The company has ruined the livelyhood of so many brothers and sisters already, and this is definitely going to do that to. But if ANYONE signs away on this, it is voluntary on their part, unlike other things that an employee had no control over. So someone who does sign away their rights to a 5 yr callback list should never, ever complain, gripe, or b***h about how "Roadway", "YRC", or "Teamsters" did or didn't do this or that, because they will have stomped their own foot.

And BTW, how many people out there know that when you are on layoff that your 5 yrs starts again everytime you punch the clock. Yeah, found this out at our COO meeting a few weeks ago. BA/local Pres said even though you were laid off on let's say Dec 1, 2007, if they call u to work on May 1, 2008, and u go in, as soon as you punch in your 5 yr callback starts all over from there. So that is something for people thinking about signing that crap paper to keep in mind to. :1036316054:

I really wanted to make a post to this thread in order to get it back up front, because this is a topic that everyone should keep at the front of their minds. The company has ruined the livelyhood of so many brothers and sisters already, and this is definitely going to do that to. But if ANYONE signs away on this, it is voluntary on their part, unlike other things that an employee had no control over. So someone who does sign away their rights to a 5 yr callback list should never, ever complain, gripe, or b***h about how "Roadway", "YRC", or "Teamsters" did or didn't do this or that, because they will have stomped their own foot.

And BTW, how many people out there know that when you are on layoff that your 5 yrs starts again everytime you punch the clock. Yeah, found this out at our COO meeting a few weeks ago. BA/local Pres said even though you were laid off on let's say Dec 1, 2007, if they call u to work on May 1, 2008, and u go in, as soon as you punch in your 5 yr callback starts all over from there. So that is something for people thinking about signing that crap paper to keep in mind to. :1036316054:

The reason the company is sending out these letters is because the 67% could only vote to give our jobs away. They couldn't require we resign and get them back at the reduced wage, reduced benefits and lost pension and union protections. Of course if the company had promised them another dollar an hour, they might have tried!!!

The reason the company is sending out these letters is because the 67% could only vote to give our jobs away. They couldn't require we resign and get them back at the reduced wage, reduced benefits and lost pension and union protections. Of course if the company had promised them another dollar an hour, they might have tried!!!
vwaggs, aren't you tired of beating a dead horse? it's time to get some new material.....

vwaggs, aren't you tired of beating a dead horse? it's time to get some new material.....
G,
The "new" Truckingboards has quickly become a whinefest. Anybody with even any inkling of positivity is somewhat scorned these days. However, the deepest, darkest most depressing posts will probably earn you some good Rep. so get depressed and get with the program, Bro.....there's no room for anything but negativity here anymore apparently.

P.S......Man, I'd love to have the Prozac concession here. I'd never have to work again.

Its nice for those still pulling 60 a year plus, to call all the people that got screwed whiners. Makes it easier for you morally doesn't it. You want to say its over, however for many of us it isn't. We are forced to deal with it every day. I love waiting for the update line to tell me even though they are out of drivers, they aren't gonna let me work. Prior to THIS CONTRACT, they HAD to let us work. The difference is now the company and the union, don't want us working. If we work, they can't keep the satellites empty of drivers so they can reroute freight to USF GM. We get to spend all day waiting to see if they'll have enough express freight, so that they'll get Special Permission to let us work that night and thus the entire week. Make yourself unavailable and you could lose anywhere from a 400 to a 1700 paycheck depending on how it would fall.

Oh honey, how was your day?

Good but I just talked to Bill, the guy behind me on the board that always stays available. He got out last week, made just over a $1700 paycheck along w/his bennies.

WOW, good for Bill. I'm glad you weren't available and just sat on your /// watching TV for a lousy unemployment check. You take such good care of your family.

Just keep patting yourselves on the back, keep enjoying your boats and RV's and don't forget to give each other Atta Boy's over what a great life you have.

BTW If you guys look at my posts, you'll see I don't normally say much until you tell someone else off. Once you quit talking about it, I do also usually.

V,
You're gonna see it the way you want to no matter what, so I'll just point out a few things that aren't accurate. Hard layoffs began back in the late 90's....they aren't in any way related to this contract exclusively. They have never had to call a laid off man to work if they didn't want to. Before the late 90's when they started the so-called hard layoffs, they would call laid off men as needed. Do I agree that they should let freight sit and not move it when men are available? No, but they don't ask me or any of us for our opinions.

We are now in a recession, I don't care what the Gov't or the media says. It's taking it's toll on all transportation providers and we are no different. In fact, as the highest compensated workers in the industry, we are at a disadvantage to the competition in this regard. To really believe that the Companies and the Union want people to sit at home is ridiculous. That would mean that they were both content to remain the same and not grow at all. You talk a lot about Glen Moore but from all I've ever seen or read what has been posted here the only place I'm aware of that GM runs out of is KCM. And they are becoming Teamsters in Local 955. No, they won't be under the NMFA but from what I hear they don't make much less than we do....maybe 4 or 5 cents per mile. Much better than most "chicken hauler" type operations. The savings over the rail, if any at all, will allow YRC to be more competitive and give faster service, which has been long needed. All of this, and the allowing of UE workers, while not fitting in with the norm of years past as far as Teamster practices go, has all been designed to further allow YRC to really compete with those who pay a much smaller overall compensation package to their workforces. Now we'll take freight from them instead of the other way around, which has been going on for many years now. While you, and others, are idle now, and we all know that it's no fun, the longer term affects of the new way of doing business may very well secure your job and that of many others. While I certainly do not rubber stamp everything that the International does I'm glad they had the foresight to at least try to allow the Company the opportunity to restructure and grow. It was and is the only way any longterm viability will be achieved whether we want to accept it or not. I respectfully disagree that all of this is a conspiracy to smack the junior drivers. Unfortunately it's always the junior men who take the hit. Always has been and always will be. That's just seniority. My biggest hope is that these things work and people get back to work. To continue the old status quo would have had a much worse longterm affect on everybody. I'm no expert at any of this but I have paid pretty close attention for the years I've been in freight. We were all going backwards before due to the pricing and faster service of the nons. Again, this is the only way, all things considered, that we are going to get people back to work even if it happens slowly. Unless, of course, the economy comes booming back.....which I don't see happening anytime soon....gas went up again today where I live.

So overall, it's my opinion that this was the IBT's way of trying to secure a future for all of us, not just those who have been here a while longer. It's definitely not very popular but in the end, if it works out, everyone will see why it had to be this way. Here's hoping it works for all of our sakes.

This is one of the best post i've read on hear in a long time.Nice job Dude!As a road steward i could not agree with you more.We must change with the times or be gone!This is the end of the line for nmfa trucking theres no where else to go.Lets put all the B.S. aside and roll up are sleeves and make it work.HAVE A GOOD HOLIDAY brothers.

V,
... so I'll just point out a few things that aren't accurate. Hard layoffs began back in the late 90's....they aren't in any way related to this contract exclusively. They have never had to call a laid off man to work if they didn't want to.

At CVE the process was different than it was at other terminals until 4/1/08. Not that they didn't pick freight points on the board and stop calling, however they would send all the freight. Not let drivers available for work sit when they had plenty of work for them.
You probably aren't aware of local practices since you are in St Louis.

We are now in a recession, I don't care what the Gov't or the media says. It's taking it's toll on all transportation providers and we are no different. In fact, as the highest compensated workers in the industry, we are at a disadvantage to the competition in this regard.

I agree we are in a recession. That isn't what the topic here was. The topic was the effects of the new contract on the guys losing their jobs from it.

To really believe that the Companies and the Union want people to sit at home is ridiculous.

They don't want them to sit at home. They want them to quit their jobs and take jobs at non union Glen Moore. That is specifically what the topic was here. Then the company gets to save money by paying lower wages to move the same freight. The union get out of paying all those guys pensions that will never get vested, plus the contractual kickbacks from the NMFA. They get the members from USF GM back in about 4 yrs or 5 years, after their vesting is lost.

You talk a lot about Glen Moore but from all I've ever seen or read what has been posted here the only place I'm aware of that GM runs out of is KCM.

Thats because you don't live/work off the major EAST WEST corridor they are running on. I do and see them frequently since 4/1/08. Where the Yellow and Roadway trucks used to be high in numbers, now they are USF GM in high numbers.

... from what I hear they don't make much less than we do....maybe 4 or 5 cents per mile. Much better than most "chicken hauler" type operations.
Until they took their wages off their web site, they were offering 41 cents per mile. I don't really think that is anywhere close to what we make. They may have raised or lowered that, since they removed the numbers.

The savings over the rail, if any at all, will allow YRC to be more competitive and give faster service, which has been long needed.

You people keep "Parroting" this as if we didn't have a bunch of drivers they could have used to do the same thing. Did you think we forgot how to drive up here in Ohio and Pennsylvania?

All of this, and the allowing of UE workers, while not fitting in with the norm of years past as far as Teamster practices go, has all been designed to further allow YRC to really compete with those who pay a much smaller overall compensation package to their workforces.

I never said they shouldn't make changes or impliment UE drivers. I've only said the NMFA should have required they use EXISTING ROAD DRIVERS to transport the freight they are giving to USF GM. Instead, by voting YES, without protecting all the union brothers who deserved protection, the union has opened up the end of the NMFA forever in addition to screwing thousands of Drivers, Yardmen and Dockmen in the North East and California.

... we 'll take freight from them instead of the other way around, which has been going on for many years now. While you, and others, are idle now, and we all know that it's no fun, the longer term affects of the new way of doing business may very well secure your job and that of many others.

First they don't have a great track record with accomplishing the "Goals" of what they say they will accomplish. Second, do you really believe they are going to someday say to themselves...." You know, we weathered that economy pretty good. Things are looking up. Lets go ahead and let those Yellow, Roadway and Holland guys we dumped a few years ago, come back to work and not give USF GM as much. It'll cost us more, but what they Heck, they were great sports when we did it."

I respectfully disagree that all of this is a conspiracy to smack the junior drivers.

You're entitled to your opinion. My question would be to you "IF it wasn't a conspiracy, why is it that it unfolds in such a way that the company and union BOTH profit dramatically from it.

So overall, it's my opinion that this was the IBT's way of trying to secure a future for all of us, not just those who have been here a while longer.

If you look at the UAW, the only other union on par with the teamsters, every contract they've had givebacks on , they have protected ALL existing workers. ONE FOR ALL AND ALL FOR ONE. Maybe GM, FORD and CHRYSLER should have made them a similar offer, so they would have an incentive to sell out their members.