XPO | John Labrie leaves Con-way

heres the e-mail that was sent out today:

To: All Employees

Effective today, John Labrie, Con-way Freight president, has left the company to pursue other interests. We wish John well in his future endeavors. With John’s departure, I will be assuming the role of interim President of Con-way Freight.

I expect to serve in this role for the next 6-12 months, during which time Con-way Freight will focus on restoring profit levels through yield improvement, cost reduction and operating discipline.

I recognize that it has been a challenging and difficult time for employees. Over the past year, we got out of balance and focused too much on building the systems of the future and not enough on basic operational disciplines. We will regain our balance by executing against the operating philosophy that made Con-way Freight a great company. We will also emphasize open dialog and communication, as we need everyone pulling in the same direction to achieve success.

We are a company whose core strength is defined by the people who move the freight and touch our customers every day. That’s what has always made Con-way Freight special. With your support, we’ll reinvigorate this company and put us back on the track to leadership in service, profits and a reputation as the best in the LTL industry. Thank you for your ongoing efforts and dedication.

Sincerely,
Doug
Douglas W. Stotlar
Interim President, Con-way Freight
President and CEO, Con-way Inc.

******** Please post in your news center and share with all employees. ********

heres the e-mail that was sent out today:

To: All Employees

Effective today, John Labrie, Con-way Freight president, has left the company to pursue other interests. We wish John well in his future endeavors. With John’s departure, I will be assuming the role of interim President of Con-way Freight.

I expect to serve in this role for the next 6-12 months, during which time Con-way Freight will focus on restoring profit levels through yield improvement, cost reduction and operating discipline.

I recognize that it has been a challenging and difficult time for employees. Over the past year, we got out of balance and focused too much on building the systems of the future and not enough on basic operational disciplines. We will regain our balance by executing against the operating philosophy that made Con-way Freight a great company. We will also emphasize open dialog and communication, as we need everyone pulling in the same direction to achieve success.

We are a company whose core strength is defined by the people who move the freight and touch our customers every day. That’s what has always made Con-way Freight special. With your support, we’ll reinvigorate this company and put us back on the track to leadership in service, profits and a reputation as the best in the LTL industry. Thank you for your ongoing efforts and dedication.

Sincerely,
Doug
Douglas W. Stotlar
Interim President, Con-way Freight
President and CEO, Con-way Inc.

******** Please post in your news center and share with all employees. ********

Scary Words
True Words
Good Words

My take on things...

:soapbox:He left with as much as $15,000,000 in separation "benifits", money that he did not deserve , because he came very close to destroying the company. As I understand when he was in charge of Conway West he created such a bad morale problem it took close to three years to correct it. The morale problem he created here is going to be a much more difficult issue to solve.:soapbox:

Man, you guys suck. Someone lost their job today and you are applauding it. After all I hear on here about guys trying to get their jobs back after being terminated in one form or another, and all the support everyone gives them, I really find it funny that an employee in management can lose his job and everyone is jumping up and down with glee. I just hope all of you that are happy that someone lost his job and you don't find yourself in the same position one day.:thread:

When your at that level, you don't care if you lose your job..He's got plenty. It's not about money, it's about pride. And I wouldn't be proud of what I've done if I was John L.

He's probably sitting at home having a beer and relieved he doesn't have to deal with the mess he's created. :\

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, give us everything back, and we WILL produce those numbers that OL' John wanted..I think I speak for just about everyone here..

Now, give us everything back, and we WILL produce those numbers that OL' John wanted..I think I speak for just about everyone here..
Given the fact that they {the ivory tower folks} know full well that all the take aways, lies and chicken crap that thev've dumped on us over the last four years are what has led up to the problems we have today, one would hope that they realize that it is going to be necessary to do what you say. :butt kiss:

John got wrapped up in the six sigma ... and let it run out of control all over the operations in this company ... I am thinking the six sigma will quickly disappear ... as well as its staff ..

:soapbox:He left with as much as $15,000,000 in separation "benifits", money that he did not deserve , because he came very close to destroying the company. As I understand when he was in charge of Conway West he created such a bad morale problem it took close to three years to correct it. The morale problem he created here is going to be a much more difficult issue to solve.:soapbox:

So he has enough money now to finish off those hair plugs...your bald dude..get over it.. The morale problem is huge at my barn, with all that has been taken away over the years why should we care..thats the fealing...hopefully things will inprove in the future...

Man, you guys suck. Someone lost their job today and you are applauding it. After all I hear on here about guys trying to get their jobs back after being terminated in one form or another, and all the support everyone gives them, I really find it funny that an employee in management can lose his job and everyone is jumping up and down with glee. I just hope all of you that are happy that someone lost his job and you don't find yourself in the same position one day.:thread:

No one (including me) is applauding that someone lost their job.

What folks are excited about are the changes...and perhaps a glimpse (or faint hope) that things will improve.

When one decides to set in the big chair they take on responsibilities...and those decisions they ultimately make affect thousands of employed folks.

Foul it up...bye...bye...he won't be the first nor the last...corporations do this all the time.

Most likely the BOD told Doug S..."get this fixed or your are gone!"...and hence the demise of John...

Unless Dougie can do a much better job...and recognize the issues plaguing the company...don't look for much to change.

Rat

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to interfere in Conway's business or board but when I saw this post, I did a search on Forbes and found this info.

42 years old and worth a fortune. Conway paid him very well in addition to his stock options. Wasn't 2009 the year all of Conway took a pay cut?

Compensation for 2009

Salary $408,098.00
Bonus $0.00
Restricted stock awards $495,095.00
All other compensation $40,978.00
Option awards $ $364,420.00
Non-equity incentive plan compensation $0.00
Change in pension value and nonqualified deferred compensation earnings $46,940.00
Total Compensation $1,355,531.00

I mean no offense to our resident rodent Mr. Rat but I always thought John L. looked like a rat or a mouse. I half expected him to pull a piece of cheese out of his pocket and start nibbling on it during one of his many videos. I liked him when he was in charge CWX, I hope things will improve with his departure but I am not feeling good about it. The devil you know versus the devil you don't.