Holland | Killing the Yellow Pig

Canadian Flyer

They Call Me CF, Eh
Credits
Seems like every other post of Snark's is "The Yellow pig must die." So I have a question for y'all: What happens after the Yellow pig is dead? Last time I checked, Old Yeller signs the check each of y'all cash at the end of the week. If Yeller dies, what happens?

Joking aside, I'm reasonably sure the regionals would be sold off along with Reimer if the ship was truly sinking. But y'all working there are a bit better qualified to answer the question than an outsider like me.

After you kill the pig then you break out the barbecue! Signed Captain Obvious.

A Supervisor and I had a conversation about this during the last vote. If the pig died then the Bankruptcy Judge has the ability to breakout profitable divisions of a Corporation in an asset sale to raise money to pay debt holders. Selling rather than dismantling a regional would get more money. For example, how much money would you pay for a Sterling with over 1,000,000 miles? And that is why regional companies would be worth more whole. Now the new buyers might be worse taskmasters then YRC, so the whole thing is still a crap shoot.

Really the whole point of "The Pig Must Die" is to give us a sense of empowerment. We have lives and should not have to put up with the whole industrial psychology. What do I mean by that . . . safety meetings that talk about how everything is YOUR fault instead of, "Hey lets fix forklift brakes, broken dock plates, broken trailer doors so our workers comp rate goes down."

I use the example "everything is your fault" because quite literally our area safety man makes the rounds once a year and says exactly that. . . "every accident is the result of Employee doing something wrong."

Last fall one of our yard guys was walking in our dark yard and stepped in a pothole twisting his ankle. When he filed the accident report he had to engage in a conference call with a YRC Company Nurse. She asked him to describe the accident, and when he was done explaining the first thing out of her mouth was, "Oh well this is not an accident, this is an overuse injury. Just go home and rest it." True story!

The guy was young and totally appalled with his treatment by the Company. Then about two months later he quit. I messaged him on Facebook the other day and asked if he would quit Holland again and his response, "Oh Yea!"

The Pig is currently retraining all TM's. The future is a more adversarial relationship at Holland and those old school Managers and Supervisors that are reluctant to participate will slowly be edged out of the Company.

Did I mention the pig must die? :woohoo1:

Last edited:
DIE DIE DIE Yellow Pig !!!! old yeller don't sign our checks the lenders-banks & Mark Larsy does !!! and NO the yellow pig will never ever die cause its to big to fail & banks will keep saying yes to high interest loans to the yellow pig , just like the sheep keep voting yes !!! bottom line is the old yellow pig will still be here 50 years from now playing the same numbers game !!

How do you say y'all in Canadien?
The same way you do. I'm not from Quebec, I don't speak French.

As for Snark, that's pretty serious stuff. I've heard periodically that OSHA compliance is a big problem at YRC companies, and I've certainly heard that Yellow ruined everything for everyone. Former Roadway, Holland and Reimer drivers I've spoken to personally have all said it was better before Yellow showed up.

You're right about the regionals being worth more sold as intact carriers, possibly even as a unit, because most of the equipment wouldn't amount to much at auction. You can only hope any new management is better than the old.

Thanks for humoring me guys. Sorry to hear conditions are so poor, but hopefully things will get better one day. Keep doing what y'all do best!

Really the whole point of "The Pig Must Die" is to give us a sense of empowerment. We have lives and should not have to put up with the whole industrial psychology. What do I mean by that . . . safety meetings that talk about how everything is YOUR fault instead of, "Hey lets fix forklift brakes, broken dock plates, broken trailer doors so our workers comp rate goes down."
I know how this feels, by the way. FedEx loves to remind the contractors that any minor mistake can result in termination without negotiation. It's a known fact that the oldest P series trailers are rusting so bad that the suspension is failing spontaneously (bushing failure) and the aprons are coming off, but we've still gotta pull them if they're loaded because if a mechanic safeties it, it must be alright.

This is what happens when people who don't drive are put in charge of transportation.

Last edited:
DIE DIE DIE Yellow Pig !!!! old yeller don't sign our checks the lenders-banks & Mark Larsy does !!! and NO the yellow pig will never ever die cause its to big to fail & banks will keep saying yes to high interest loans to the yellow pig , just like the sheep keep voting yes !!! bottom line is the old yellow pig will still be here 50 years from now playing the same numbers game !!

Just about everyone believed the same thing about CF.

After you kill the pig then you break out the barbecue! Signed Captain Obvious.

A Supervisor and I had a conversation about this during the last vote. If the pig died then the Bankruptcy Judge has the ability to breakout profitable divisions of a Corporation in an asset sale to raise money to pay debt holders. Selling rather than dismantling a regional would get more money. For example, how much money would you pay for a Sterling with over 1,000,000 miles? And that is why regional companies would be worth more whole. Now the new buyers might be worse taskmasters then YRC, so the whole thing is still a crap shoot.

I use the example "everything is your fault" because quite literally our area safety man makes the rounds once a year and says exactly that. . . "every accident is the result of Employee doing something wrong."

Last fall one of our yard guys was walking in our dark yard and stepped in a pothole twisting his ankle. When he filed the accident report he had to engage in a conference call with a YRC Company Nurse. She asked him to describe the accident, and when he was done explaining the first thing out of her mouth was, "Oh well this is not an accident, this is an overuse injury. Just go home and rest it." True story!

The Pig is currently retraining all TM's. The future is a more adversarial relationship at Holland and those old school Managers and Supervisors that are reluctant to participate will slowly be edged out of the Company.

Did I mention the pig must die? :woohoo1:
I agree, the fact they brought James Fry in as general counsel, from Swift, the biggest scumbag company in the industry, says volumes as to the direction this company is headed.
Swift has always done whatever they want regarding their drivers, and then turn loose the team of lawyers to fight the class action lawsuits.

I agree, the fact they brought James Fry in as general counsel, from Swift, the biggest scumbag company in the industry, says volumes as to the direction this company is headed.
Swift has always done whatever they want regarding their drivers, and then turn loose the team of lawyers to fight the class action lawsuits.
Ya need to give CR England some credit here .......

Ya need to give CR England some credit here .......

I stand corrected, Swift Transportation, the second biggest scumbag company in the industry.
Hey maybe yrc/Holland, etc., will start a lease purchase plan for those Teamsters who would like to become business owners.

Hey Teamsters!!

Have you dreamed of owning your own business as a lease contractor for a company like YRC or one of it's affiliates? Can you see yourself bouncing down the interstate in one of our gently used, 2003 Sterlings? Do you like the idea of possibly earning up to $45,000 per year?

For a small lease payment of $650.00 per week, with a 4 year contract, you can be on your way to independence.
Don't let these high mileage beauties scare you from your dreams. For your peace of mind, we spared no expense and fully restored and repaired any issues on these classics with only the finest zip ties, duct tape, wood screws and bungee cords. And then there's the interior detailing and restoration we performed using the best generic brand of Lysol we could find.

Come on down and get yours today!!!

For the first 50 who sign on, we offer free bankruptcy protection insurance and a free 1 year subscription to "Chicken Lights and Chrome" magazine.

I know how this feels, by the way. FedEx loves to remind the contractors that any minor mistake can result in termination without negotiation. It's a known fact that the oldest P series trailers are rusting so bad that the suspension is failing spontaneously (bushing failure) and the aprons are coming off, but we've still gotta pull them if they're loaded because if a mechanic safeties it, it must be alright.

This is what happens when people who don't drive are put in charge of transportation.
So it's unsafe and you pull it anyway? Doesn't say much about you ( or should I say y'all), that you would put your own safety at risk.

So it's unsafe and you pull it anyway? Doesn't say much about you ( or should I say y'all), that you would put your own safety at risk.
I personally avoid them like the plague, and go over them with heavy scrutiny if one has been loaded for me. But there are lots of people who believe FedEx ensures the safety of their equipment and pull them anyway. Unfortunately, you can't tell that the bushings are rusted out from a visual inspection. I had a pair fail one day...snapped the springs in half. I had pictures from before and after to prove it wasn't the spring that failed, but not everyone is so meticulous.

Seems like every other post of Snark's is "The Yellow pig must die." So I have a question for y'all: What happens after the Yellow pig is dead? Last time I checked, Old Yeller signs the check each of y'all cash at the end of the week. If Yeller dies, what happens?

Joking aside, I'm reasonably sure the regionals would be sold off along with Reimer if the ship was truly sinking. But y'all working there are a bit better qualified to answer the question than an outsider like me.

Unfortunately what would happen FXFC, is over 10,000 blue collar teamsters would lose their jobs.Most all of those workers coming from Yellow,CF,and Roadway.Many of these workers have spent many a night out by the burn barrel on our behalf,while struggling to pay bills with the small amount of strike fund money they received.

My hope is that Yrcw gets healthy and gives all of our families a sense of job security we've not experienced in quite some time.Besides the loss of jobs for thousands of good people,I believe their absence would cripple our already troubled pension fund,beyond repair.I understand the animosities towards YRC as a company,but it's certainly not the fault of their employees. So I say" RISE UP YELLOW PIG"!!!