ODFL | Lay Offs

Aladdin Sane

TB Lurker
Credits
Upon my nightly arrival @ KCY, I was told that two 3rd trick dock workers were laid off. Unknown how far this will extend into office staff, drivers etc. @ KCY.
Was told that this is going to occur from place to place at larger terminals throughout the system. Any further info is appreciated

In Hickory 3 dockworkers and i office girl so far and they are talking about cuttung hours for some of the office help on top of that too. Linehaul might be on the bubble in the next few weeks i am not for sure as of yet

Kevin

2 dockworkers in DSM were given pink slips. I also hear the 1 P&D driver in KCY got his papers for mouthin' off to a customer. 2 MSP city drivers also received walking papers apparently by their own doing. It seems that any driver infraction will be used to pear down the driver pool. So in my opinion, it's "Best Behavior Time" if you would like to keep your job. Nobody's safe!! Just doesn't make sense though with the "Big Announcement" supposedly being positive and ODFL website has openings in the same locations that many of these people were shown the door. Again, I highly recommend "Best Behavior Time" for all. Good luck....

Yeah,working to rule is the best policy in this economy,You'll find this mentioned in every non-union forum here.Although mouthing off to a shipper will get you walking papers @OD no matter the economy.

I had a delivery in salt lake today and asked a few of the dock workers are they slow too and they all told me 18 people just got the boot for the up and coming Holiday's.

I've been operating under the same rule of thumb that Belgian Buzzard espouses. By the letter of the law and best behavior at all times. I damned sure need my job and feel very fortunate to have it thusly, I will conduct myself as such.

I was one of the Dockworkers from KCY mentioned above that got laid off. There was also one other dockworker, and 1 office girl that I can confirm that got laid off.

In the past 2 weeks, PDX has let a few go. A office girl, basically her own doing, 1 line haul driver, 2 P&D drivers, and another P&D driver over a accident. A few months ago in a post I made a comment about our people here run a pretty tight ship. Everybody pretty much works, there might be a call off once in awhile, but RTO to SEA keeps us going.

I was one of the Dockworkers from KCY mentioned above that got laid off. There was also one other dockworker, and 1 office girl that I can confirm that got laid off.
Sorry to hear about the lay-offs @KCY pokoo,Do your prospects for another dock job look good? i know there's alot of other freight docks around KC,anyway best of luck to you,please let us know how things are going.

Things are fine for me, I'm not sure where I'm going to work right now, but I do know that it won't be in the transportation industry. No offense to anyone on these boards, but working on a dock sucks! This was really a kick in the *** that I needed to get out of the industry. I'm very young and wish to find a job more suitable to my bachelors in IT Software Engineering and Business Management.

1 in PIT so far, took his benefits and vacation from him and told him he was part time and if it got any slower he would be gone. They put 4 city drivers at the bottom of the linehaul extra board too,not sure if they lost their benefits and vacation. 12 dockworkers and 1 OS&D in HAR. They were terminated, not laid off. Heard they were looking for 500 company wide. I hope this is not the "New and exciting direction OD is going"

What's up with that deal about taking the guys vacation? You sure about that? Had he already earned it, and now he's lost it? I hope that isn't the case, because I have my vacation and I'm saving it until I absolutely have to take it. My understanding of the company handbook was that you can't actually "lose" it unless you are termed for cause. Hopefully I misunderstood what was being said.