ODFL | Lay Offs

I learned a long time ago that OD (at least at my terminal) doesn't promote by perfomance. They promote according to good looks, popularity, and who you know. Sounds like high school hah? Same when it comes to cutting payroll. Get rid of the guys that keep to themseves and do their job. They would rather keep the comedians and Brad Pitts. Thank God the board member are on top of their game, they are very intelligent people who have come up with great strategies to keep OD #1. Now it's time for them to start training local terminal leaders how to keep it going. Keep and promote the hard dedicated workers who bust their ***, and not the Eddie Murphys and Brad Pitts

You're right about the board members being sharp but anything they do is delegated down again and again until it hits the same old buddy system.Damn shame but it's a huge company compared to what it was a very few years ago.Upper management,no matter how good,is not in step with what's happening on the battlefield.

Jim Bob You remember the saying:
Who works makes mistakes,
Who doesn’t works makes no mistakes,
Who makes no mistakes gets promoted!

with the layoffs happening all over then why are dal and mrt having driving schools next month it just don't make since

Sit drivers who are at top pay at home while new drivers at a lower pay drive.

Company probably saves enough to pay for that new promotional campaign including the dvd's and the keychains.

Hi everyone. My husband and at least 2 other dock workers were let go from the Parsons KS center. Really crappy the way it was done. just called him on the phone on his day off and said I have bad news for you, do to economic reasons you are being let go (not laid off). He went on to say that it was not a performance issue so he would be eligle for rehire (starting at the very beginning again)
No warning.. No severence.. Merry Christmas!

One of the other guys was actually in his vehicle on his way to work when he got the call..
sorry that people are being let go i hope somthing alot better comes along.o.d.all way do underhaned crap when it come to something like this. when i was there they did the same thing to a lot driver an dock workers an told them if they came back to work there. they had to start all over again from day 1 .why would someone go back if he or she had 2years an can not pick up were they left at.that BULL CRAP you might not see it but the SUN WILL SHINE BRIGHT SOME WERE ELSE I WILL BE PRAYING 4 ALL OF YOU.

sorry that people are being let go i hope somthing alot better comes along.o.d.all way do underhaned crap when it come to something like this. when i was there they did the same thing to a lot driver an dock workers an told them if they came back to work there. they had to start all over again from day 1 .why would someone go back if he or she had 2years an can not pick up were they left at.that BULL CRAP you might not see it but the SUN WILL SHINE BRIGHT SOME WERE ELSE I WILL BE PRAYING 4 ALL OF YOU.

Thanks for your kind words. I agree it will get better and it could always be worse. One of the other guys recently laid off is engaged to be married very soon and his fiance' is pregnant (poor thing cried for hours when she found out/like she didn't have enough to worry about). One of the other guys' wife is unable to work, so it's going to be really rough on them. I'm working, not pregnant and we found out my husband's unemployment will only be about $125.00 less per week than he normally would have taken home so we could be much worse off.. :)

can any one confirm this im hearing that most layoffs are being conducted by job performance and not seniority if thats the case everyone cya

can any one confirm this im hearing that most layoffs are being conducted by job performance and not seniority if thats the case everyone cya

In my husband's case he had been there 2 years and had reached the top of his salary grade, 2 of the other guys had also been there approximately 2 years. He was about mid-way in seniority (maybe 25 guys lower than him) The last one let go had been there only a short amount of time. My husband worked hard, was there on time, and enjoyed his job (not just saying this cause I have too, he has a great work ethic!) and he was told that it had nothing to do with his performance. He also stated that the guys he knew were good workers as well.

My feeling is that they chose those who were earning more money in order to save them money and to avoid having to get rid of additional people. There are others at his location who have been there longer, but the majority of them came over from the Wichita Southeast buy out and were formerly union. They had been given additional rights in the buyout contract.

In my husband's case he had been there 2 years and had reached the top of his salary grade, 2 of the other guys had also been there approximately 2 years. He was about mid-way in seniority (maybe 25 guys lower than him) The last one let go had been there only a short amount of time. My husband worked hard, was there on time, and enjoyed his job (not just saying this cause I have too, he has a great work ethic!) and he was told that it had nothing to do with his performance. He also stated that the guys he knew were good workers as well.

My feeling is that they chose those who were earning more money in order to save them money and to avoid having to get rid of additional people. There are others at his location who have been there longer, but the majority of them came over from the Wichita Southeast buy out and were formerly union. They had been given additional rights in the buyout contract.
WSKT was NOT a union company,nor were we guaranteed anything by OD with only a couple of exeptions,If you worked at WSKT more than 3 yrs.you got top scale, the other was you kept your terminal seniority,If there wasn't an OD terminal in the same city.

WSKT was NOT a union company,nor were we guaranteed anything by OD with only a couple of exeptions,If you worked at WSKT more than 3 yrs.you got top scale, the other was you kept your terminal seniority,If there wasn't an OD terminal in the same city.

I was just going to correct my statement today as my husband pointed that out to me last night. I appologize if I offended you in any way.

I heard from a friend that a Ops Manager in KCY was forced to resign yesterday. Apparently there were two of them and he was told they only needed one. Is it me or is OD visibly starting to crumble? The day I was laid off their stock dropped like 4 bucks. My friend on the dock in KCY says "It feels like they'll fire/layoff anyone for anything" and he's already looking for a new job. Oh and by the way, I was denied unemployment because I'm a college student, shouldn't there be a law against that? I still have a wife and daughter to support! I'm currently screwed thanks to OD.

Laid off is a mis leading term. Most have been terminated with the option of re applying when and if hiring begins again. Now being terminated can be a bugaboo as far as collecting unemployment. If there is an inkiling of poor job performance associated with termination I'd say you're not getting unemployment. Laid off would mean temporary situation and your benefits would continue, termination means benefits end that day.

Has anyone checked on the vacation pay? Has anyone been paid vacation that was coming to them if they quit or were terminated?

I heard from a friend that a Ops Manager in KCY was forced to resign yesterday. Apparently there were two of them and he was told they only needed one. Is it me or is OD visibly starting to crumble? The day I was laid off their stock dropped like 4 bucks. My friend on the dock in KCY says "It feels like they'll fire/layoff anyone for anything" and he's already looking for a new job. Oh and by the way, I was denied unemployment because I'm a college student, shouldn't there be a law against that? I still have a wife and daughter to support! I'm currently screwed thanks to OD.
OD DOES NOT LAYOFF the fire you that od 4 you. they did the same thing up in columbus an jcy botton hsb ind about 8 years ago it was bull crap then an now i felt sorry for the people they did it to an od turn every one of them down for unemployment they had to fight for it good luck to all

OD didint screw you, the bottom line is that the government is screwing all of the american people. this thing is way bigger than od.

I was just going to correct my statement today as my husband pointed that out to me last night. I appologize if I offended you in any way.
I wasn't offended ,I tend to write in a direct fashion,I hope things work out for your family I know southeast KS can be a tough place to find a good job even in the best of times.All the guys that came over with WSKT,retained their seniority some of those guys have been working there 10-20yrs.

Unemployment Insurance is administered by the state of Kansas not OD,I can understand your bitterness towards the company I was laid off 3 times in the early80's and it sucked but being laid off in our industry used to be a fact off life All freight companies are laying off right now OD started later than most and they've been less severe than many, business has shrunk by almost a third from last year they haven't reduced the work force by anywhere near that number.If anything OD has been conservative about laying people off

I envision us as a sea of heads. Every now and then someone's head begins to rise up out of that sea for any number of reasons (absenteeism, damaging equipment, too many of you, attitude etc...) and when that head gets far enough up, they may very well lop it off. Moral to the story, keep your head down, do your job well below the radar and without calling attention to yourself and you'll likely be fine.