ODFL | Lay Offs

Hello again. My Vacation was in my final check.
I have one small problem. All of the uniform stuff I ordered has that Big OD circle on it. :tribehasspoken:

I am curious what these people who are supposedly being laid off are being told by mgt. The terminal I work at, the recent employees who have been let go have told their friends (who are still employed at OD) that they were laid off. However, we are told by mgt. that have been fired. Who's lying? Someone's not telling the truth. I know these employees have been fired, but is mgt. telling them that, or are they telling them they are laid off.

I am curious what these people who are supposedly being laid off are being told by mgt. The terminal I work at, the recent employees who have been let go have told their friends (who are still employed at OD) that they were laid off. However, we are told by mgt. that have been fired. Who's lying? Someone's not telling the truth. I know these employees have been fired, but is mgt. telling them that, or are they telling them they are laid off.

I don't know of but 1 that I can recall who has come back from "lay off or permanent lay off ".He posts on here about once a year maybe he could add his input to this.
As for what they tell you at departure it will be about anything to get you off the property without a argument or having to call a swat team in.Once you walk thru that gate the deal is done.

Well if the mgmt at your terminal is telling current employees about the circumstances of another employees departure (fired, laid off, medical leave, whatever) then they are ethically and legally in the wrong. You don't go gossipping to your terminal employees about who left and why.

Just the fact that mgmt would say anything to current employees would make me not trust what they say. There are labor and privacy laws that prohibit mangers from disclosing that kind of information to just anyone.

I wonder if what we have here is a failure to communicate. A T/M says to someone "we have to let you go"might mean laid-off to the person let go,and fired to the manager that said it.I've seen this happen too many times over the years,As painful as it can can be for both parties,telling the unvarnished truth is the best policy.Its cruel[and dishonest]to leave someone you have no intention of bringing back with the idea they might be recalled sometime in the future.

I'm looking for big cuts in the next few days,that's no secret to anybody.No freight,no work.Things will get better but it's going to be a while.

When I was laid off, I was told "this is a permanent, economic layoff", he went on to say "As you've noticed, the economy is slowing, and so are we. I've done everything I can to try to keep you here, but I'm forced to lay you off. It is important to remember that this is an economic layoff, and not performance based." To me this is valid, cause the other dockworker who was laid off was one of the best workers on the dock, and had quite a few connections.