Yellow | Layoff #'s @ Your Barn

I think all of these job layoffs are a cause of manipulation and shifting of freight.I have reliable sources that say that at Roadway in Dallas Texas freight is falling off the dock and the road drivers have been running out of hours.I have hauled freight to my bid terminal of which a brother told me that he constantly runs tons of freight down the street to Roadway and Bestway.Not too many weeks ago the railyard near dallas had way too many yellow freight trailers that the shuttle drivers had no place to park more.Supposedly that company practice has slowed some due to some talks our stewards had with the company.My thoughts are this,the company is using diversionary practices but for what reason I do not know....no drivers laid off in Dallas at yellow.but,it is slow.....and there have been no fights...lol

A casual is an extra worker who has no Union protection and can be let go at any time for any reason.

A casual MOST DEFINATLY has union protection. they pay dues just like you and me, they get a days pension for every day worked. no health ins. they just can't use their local with a problem because the company will just quit calling them. we can agree to disagree on the terminogy but i still say i was a casual

I think all of these job layoffs are a cause of manipulation and shifting of freight.I have reliable sources that say that at Roadway in Dallas Texas freight is falling off the dock and the road drivers have been running out of hours.I have hauled freight to my bid terminal of which a brother told me that he constantly runs tons of freight down the street to Roadway and Bestway.Not too many weeks ago the railyard near dallas had way too many yellow freight trailers that the shuttle drivers had no place to park more.Supposedly that company practice has slowed some due to some talks our stewards had with the company.My thoughts are this,the company is using diversionary practices but for what reason I do not know....no drivers laid off in Dallas at yellow.but,it is slow.....and there have been no fights...lol

They are diverting freight due to the upcoming contract!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They did the same sh*t in 2003
Don't be fooled
You don't have 4 1/2 years of record profits
and the bottom JUST SUDDENLY FALLS OUT in the last reporting quarter before the contract is up

This has been said over and over again. The stewards at CGB had a talk with Yellow a couple of weeks ago, and to appease them the entire bottom of the board got put to work after some of them sitting at home for up to 2 weeks. Now it's slow again (well at least for me) and they're up to their tricks again. Everybody is ticked off, there are bids posted again, and the bottom guys are being forced on teams as usual. This isn't a bad job if you have seniority, but waiting 2 yrs.+ by the phone isn't cutting it anymore with the way things are going. On top of that, I've had one too many scares while someone else was behind the wheel. Dead men don't pay bills.

This has been said over and over again. The stewards at CGB had a talk with Yellow a couple of weeks ago, and to appease them the entire bottom of the board got put to work after some of them sitting at home for up to 2 weeks. Now it's slow again (well at least for me) and they're up to their tricks again. Everybody is ticked off, there are bids posted again, and the bottom guys are being forced on teams as usual. This isn't a bad job if you have seniority, but waiting 2 yrs.+ by the phone isn't cutting it anymore with the way things are going. On top of that, I've had one too many scares while someone else was behind the wheel. Dead men don't pay bills.
Here ya go Truck driving jobs at trucking companies. Truck Driver Jobs at the #1 source for trucking jobs.
jobs by the dozen for ya to apply...enjoy!!:funky:

Headrush,
There are companies out there that don't have the same work reporting procedure that pay close to the same, if not the same, other than Yellow. Ignore the Links for the newbie drivers posted. Try SAIA, FEDEX, OD and many more that will make it easier for you while you get seniority.The 2 hour call block just don't cut it and then getting forced on a team run on top of that(unless you like running teams with a complete stranger with questionable skill and hygiene). Best of luck and if you can stick it out another couple years then do so as you are getting among the top pay and benefits out there, but don't think there are not other companies out there with comparable compensation and more friendly employee work rules. Good luck HR

As of Saturday nigh Sunday morning In STL we will have 46(44 actual) Laid off on the road. L.M. just got approval tis week to lay an additional six off today. Not good.

Headrush,
There are companies out there that don't have the same work reporting procedure that pay close to the same, if not the same, other than Yellow. Ignore the Links for the newbie drivers posted. Try SAIA, FEDEX, OD and many more that will make it easier for you while you get seniority.The 2 hour call block just don't cut it and then getting forced on a team run on top of that(unless you like running teams with a complete stranger with questionable skill and hygiene). Best of luck and if you can stick it out another couple years then do so as you are getting among the top pay and benefits out there, but don't think there are not other companies out there with comparable compensation and more friendly employee work rules. Good luck HR

Thanks for the tip fasttruck. As far as ignoring the link, that was done before you even typed it. Some people amuse themselves by "acting" smart and not having any idea what the person that their attempting to muse already knows. As far as working for all the other companies that you mentioned, I just might give them a try. Trucking was and still is only a stepping stone for me to move on to something better. I never had any intentions of retiring from it, but if I happen to do so, I won't be disappointed. Some drivers get ticked off when I mention that, but oh well. Trucking isn't for everyone just like a lot of other career choices. Once again, thank you for sharing your knowledge of the industry with me.

Hey HR I know exactly what you mean about guys getting ticked off when you say you want to look for something else. This job really is the best job for some people, in fact some people never had any other job so this is the job to be had. I remember saying to people that as soon as I finished paying off my initiation due's to my local, I was going to find another job because the company I worked(yellow)for IMO wasn't for me. It was almost like I offended them. They would also try their best to tell me to just stick it out and it gets better. I decided that for me and my family I needed something more consistent as far as work hours were concerned. I found what I think works for me and my family the best. I now get a semi consistent work start time(within a 2 hour range)that makes it easier to plan around, weekends off and I will actually get to be around to see my kid play her sports on the weekend and basically have a life with my family. Some people do not mind the on call and extra board life and there is nothing wrong with that. I just decided there wasn't enough offered by the company to make missing the second half of my kids life due to not having a consistent work schedule. I already missed the first half due to driving truck all over the USA. Best of luck to you and your searches.

Thanks for the link, but I've already been busy putting applications in.:1036316054: If you knew me, then you'd know that I just don't sit around and complain. I leave that to the thumb-sucking momma's boy lot that offer up their opinion, but have no idea how to teach people to put themselves in a better position.
you know freight is up freight is down...company's go out of business and new company's start up...you started out here with yellow...and you was on this truckingboards before you even started at Yellow...so it was no secret how rough things get...if you have to find another job..thats great...I am glad for you,I am layed off myself..but I don't sit here and cry about yellow not working me...I do something about it...some people are born with trucking genes and some skill,you may not be either one of them,just be glad you found that out early..I can sit here and massage your torso and tell ya things will get better...but that would not do you justice..either be a man and tough it out and do something else till the clouds clear...and or just move on...simple as that.

I am coping and pasting quote from jimmy g

Some people make things happen.

some people watch things happen.

Others wonder what the heck happened.....

If I remember correctly this is HR's first driving job but I am not 100% sure. I will have to say getting layed off so soon would make any newbie think twice about driving early in their career regardless of what they read before they started. Driving isn't for everyone and the one's who figure it out before its too late are the chosen few, hopefully HR is one of them. Hopefully HR can tough it out but it is too hard nowadays with the abundance of good paying driving jobs, just gotta know where to look.

you know freight is up freight is down...company's go out of business and new company's start up...you started out here with yellow...and you was on this truckingboards before you even started at Yellow...so it was no secret how rough things get...if you have to find another job..thats great...I am glad for you,I am layed off myself..but I don't sit here and cry about yellow not working me...I do something about it...some people are born with trucking genes and some skill,you may not be either one of them,just be glad you found that out early..I can sit here and massage your torso and tell ya things will get better...but that would not do you justice..either be a man and tough it out and do something else till the clouds clear...and or just move on...simple as that.

First of all, nobody is sitting around and boo hooing about not working. Secondly, if you could comprehend and not let your judgemental mentality get in the way, then you'd know that I've been looking. I'm not just going to jump at the first opportunity that comes my way. As far as skills and genes go, I don't have to sit around and brag about it. I know and those that know me are aware of what I'm capable of. I don't need you massaging my torso or telling me it's going to be okay. You can save that for yourself while you're laid off Tex. I've got plenty of manhood and have a lot more to look up to in my family before I ever come to this board seeking you out. Nothing you've said has been in the least bit useful to me or anyone else. So, let's not make this personal and agree to stay out of each other's way from now on.

If I remember correctly this is HR's first driving job but I am not 100% sure. I will have to say getting layed off so soon would make any newbie think twice about driving early in their career regardless of what they read before they started. Driving isn't for everyone and the one's who figure it out before its too late are the chosen few, hopefully HR is one of them. Hopefully HR can tough it out but it is too hard nowadays with the abundance of good paying driving jobs, just gotta know where to look.
You're right fasttruck this is basically my first driving job. I'm not laid off though. It's just insanely slow to the point that it would make more sense to lay me off. Like I said last night, this is only a stepping stone for me and definitely not a career. I have a good mind of where to look, but your tips helped. Some people know that knowledge is supposed to be passed on to make it better for the next generation. Then there are those who selfishly hold on to the knowledge that they have, because they think that those who come after them aren't good enough. Therefore, nothing gets better and everyone suffers.

You guys just hang in there for a few more years, and there will TONS of openings at Yellow, Roadway, and Holland! If UPS pulls out of Central States, the Central States Pension fund will be in deep trouble in a couple of years, and will announce more cuts, forcing a lot of guys to "leave early" to avoid even deeper cuts in their benefit levels and the cost of the retiree health care insurance (if they don't cut that completely)! There are thousands of guys that could go right now if the retiree health care was available at a reasonable cost. Watch what happens the next few months.....!

First of all, nobody is sitting around and boo hooing about not working.

If you ain't whinning what do you call it? [SIZE=-1]self-pity[/SIZE]? or is it negative energy? your criticism bore me...Check yourself,chances are you complain a lot more than you think...now thats some advice you can take home with you and think about!!
Now it's slow again (well at least for me) and they're up to their tricks again. Everybody is ticked off, there are bids posted again, and the bottom guys are being forced on teams as usual

You guys just hang in there for a few more years, and there will TONS of openings at Yellow, Roadway, and Holland! If UPS pulls out of Central States, the Central States Pension fund will be in deep trouble in a couple of years,
Thats already happened to the tune of 61 billion. which puts the fund up to 70 to 75 percent.