FedEx Freight | Layoff victims

Top Flight;I get the impression you're one of those,"I wuz looking for a job when I got thisun", well I've got many years invested in this company.Worked hard,performed well-above standard as a matter of fact.
And,to subscribe to the,"we work hard to find good people and retain them", theory I fit it.
So I take issue when they want to DISRESPECT my employment status and treat me like corporate flotsam.
So as far as working for someone else,I could,even in this economy.But, some things are worth fighting for so those like you won't be working 12/14 hours a day-all straight time.Wishing that SOMEONE WOULD LOOK OUT FOR YOU and improve things.Talk to you elders or read the history of labor in this country.NOTHING was given to us,it was fought for physically and in the courts.
Subscribe to corporate speak? Or part of the corporate structure? I can respect that,I do take issue with one line pithy comments that merely-glaringly -illuminate your intelligence.Perhaps its not too late to get that GED.
MERRY CHRISTMAS

Dear Frank,
you state: "While on this rant I would like to point out that when we were VIKING FREIGHT SYSTEM there were no layoffs.Voluntary trips,days or hour reductions so that other Vikings could work.AND IT WORKED!!!"

WRONG! Viking layed off a couple of times, oops, my bad; they called it a furlough. Viking also had a policy for new hires that required up to 2 weeks mandatory unpaid time off between 1-1 and 5-1, at company discretion to keep senior people working. Re-read your old handbooks...that's called "Fact checking".

ST:Violin:

Silent Trucker;
I stand corrected,However I still defend Viking's policies against Fedexs'

Frank,
it's important to realize that when Viking was purchased in the Caliber buyout by Fedex, it employed only 3500 or so people.

The new FxF company (combination of east and west) employs almost ten times that many. There are things you can do when you're Viking/AF sized, that you simply can't do when you're FedEx Freight Inc sized. That's life. Company's that don't grow, die. Ask Yellow/roadway about that....we're growing, they're dying.

The many changes we're undergoing are growing pains...and many more are to come. If we continue to think positive and look to the future, we'll laugh about all this a year or two down the road.

ST

I think FX is very fair and things are run only as well as the TM runs them. You guys want it the way it was at Viking and AF? Then go work for them. You can do as you please with them also now. They no longer exist, just get over them. Your OLD company sold you out and FX let you stay on, but they have their way of doing things and if that is not to your liking then go work where a company will "fit" your style.

I found out "E" is a joke the hard way and FX is a good place to work.

I am happy with very little stress if any most days at FedEx..

I think FX is very fair and things are run only as well as the TM runs them. You guys want it the way it was at Viking and AF? Then go work for them. You can do as you please with them also now. They no longer exist, just get over them. Your OLD company sold you out and FX let you stay on, but they have their way of doing things and if that is not to your liking then go work where a company will "fit" your style.

I found out "E" is a joke the hard way and FX is a good place to work.

I am happy with very little stress if any most days at FedEx..

The point you guys (FX apologists) don't get is that for several years now every quarterly report has shown RECORD PROFIT... Really good stuff! Productivity had increased by huge amounts, profits up, costs down etc etc. Now when there's a little downturn, we have to layoff and cut costs everywhere just for the survival of the "The Company". :BS:

Anyone whose been in this business any length of time knows that is get's slow this time of year. You make big profits for 9-10 months out of the year. Then you struggle a little for a couple of months.

Now FedEx seems to want to keep the high operating ratio year round. You simply can't do it. Oh, you can TRY to do it at the expense of your people and by sacrificing a bit on customer service.

Yes they are sacrificing both the employees and the customer. We're short handed right now! And the layoffs haven't even taken effect yet. We're putting as few drivers on the street as possible (per regional management) and struggling to try and cover the freight. Freight gets left on customer docks almost every day.

I don't know about Viking but AF never let that happen repeatedly. FedEx didn't use to do it either. But now... you be the judge.

Remember who brought you to the dance :rockon:

The point you guys (FX apologists) don't get is that for several years now every quarterly report has shown RECORD PROFIT... Really good stuff! Productivity had increased by huge amounts, profits up, costs down etc etc. Now when there's a little downturn, we have to layoff and cut costs everywhere just for the survival of the "The Company". :BS:

Anyone whose been in this business any length of time knows that is get's slow this time of year. You make big profits for 9-10 months out of the year. Then you struggle a little for a couple of months.

Now FedEx seems to want to keep the high operating ratio year round. You simply can't do it. Oh, you can TRY to do it at the expense of your people and by sacrificing a bit on customer service.

Yes they are sacrificing both the employees and the customer. We're short handed right now! And the layoffs haven't even taken effect yet. We're putting as few drivers on the street as possible (per regional management) and struggling to try and cover the freight. Freight gets left on customer docks almost every day.

I don't know about Viking but AF never let that happen repeatedly. FedEx didn't use to do it either. But now... you be the judge.

Remember who brought you to the dance :rockon:

I would have liked to see FedEx deal with this in a different way, however, I think you are underestimating this " slow down ". The nations economy is falling apart. If we take a look around, I think we would see FedEx has laid off far fewer employees than any of the major Freight companies. Call me a company man, I think FedEx is doing what they feel they have to do to continue to survive.

You are right about leaving frt on our customers dock our scm has been begging us to ask for jom. I made a pu at one of my good customers today that we didn't pu yesterday. I gave then customer service number in Harrison and told them to call that number not to call our center.

Another day more frt left on cust dock. In an effort to keep the #s up we don't have the capacity to pick up all the frt called in.

4 shipments left at a cust. (open all night) aprox 15 miles from the center. That's just the one I know about... Who knows how many shipments we really missed. And again, the layoffs haven't even taken effect yet. :popcorn:

Frank,
it's important to realize that when Viking was purchased in the Caliber buyout by Fedex, it employed only 3500 or so people.

The new FxF company (combination of east and west) employs almost ten times that many. There are things you can do when you're Viking/AF sized, that you simply can't do when you're FedEx Freight Inc sized. That's life. Company's that don't grow, die. Ask Yellow/roadway about that....we're growing, they're dying.

The many changes we're undergoing are growing pains...and many more are to come. If we continue to think positive and look to the future, we'll laugh about all this a year or two down the road.

ST

Between caliber was a company called Roadway services inc.Thats when fdx bought us up

I would thing not since FXFN has bids that only run 218 miles a night. That is only 5 hours every day with yard time.

then go to work for another company

i agree top flight if they r upset with fedex they can quit and then the guy's under them on seniority can keep there jobs.the west guy's r pissed off cause they have to get their hands dirty for once. well u get payed to drop and hook and fuel so what the big deal. nobody ever complained about bonus when we didn't get them before but now everbody wants to get pissed off.nobody like's layoff's or losing wages or benefits but look at unemployment last i heard over 6% nation wide shut up people be glad u have a job the ones that r lucky and hope 2009 is a better year where we can hire the layoff people back

Between caliber was a company called Roadway services inc.Thats when fdx bought us up

TC,
Roadway services became caliber when Roadway express was spun off in a separate stock deal. FedEx bought caliber, because they wanted RPS, now FxG. Luckily, they decided they could make some money in the freight business and kept Viking, then bought AF.

ST

The politicians don't really care they get payed regardless.People need to wake up and see the two party system has caused the problem including a lot of greed.The federal reserve has killed are dollar.Republican's and Democrats have allowed are job's shipped over seas.

Preach it brotha!!

OH YES FEDEX IS A VERY GOOD COMPANY TO WORK FOR HMMMMM ....... I THINK FEDEX FREIGHT SHOULD HAVE REPLACE ALL IT'S (TM's AND OM's) THEN THEY TOOK OVER VIKING FREIGHT SYSTEM BECUZ THERE
IS ALOT OF THINGS THAT HAPPEN THAT FEDEX CORP DOES NOT KNOW ABOUT!!

When the small family owned businesses are gobbled up by big corporations in order to kill competition and grow even bigger, these behemoth corporations become arrogant, self centered and want to take, more than they give back, to employees and communities. I call these large monsters (corporations) 21st century SLAVE MASTERS. Yes folks, we are becoming the "slaves" to big corporations. We need to shrink these corporations and bring back FAIR competition. Think about it for a minute. And of course, government will not require any type of action or penalties for unfair labor and unfair competition because the GOVERNMENT allows this. This is called corruption and politician "buyout". Until we rise up to corporations and inaction from Government, these "monster corporations" gobbling up family businesses, that treat their employees with respect and fairness will continue to disappear. In fact, less and less family owned businesses will be created because they will not stand a chance to compete. And this practice by BIG Corporations has been going on for too long. Like Mc Cain said: " Rise up, rise up for what you believe in, rise up and FIGHT". And one does not have to rise up and protest with violence, but you can have plenty of anger and do it in a civilized way. I would not promote anarchy.
[/QUOTE]

you took the words right out of my mouth. you are exactly right This economy has come to the point that it is affecting everyone now,Union and non union and something needs to be done, and soon.I hate to here anyone losing their job right now, and I wish you guys the best of luck.