Holland | Layoffs

They laid off 2 more city driver in Toledo, brigning the total to 9 and fired a road driver bringing that total to 3 I believe, and they want to blame this all on an election..

Been laid off at Springfield, Mo since July in the city. They got two of us. Last man is not getting five days steady either.

If your Union leaders get what they want in November, get used to it for at least four more years. If they get their way, you may want to go find another source of income. Unemployment don't last for the full four years.

Laid 2 off at CI on 10/12 they signed 8hr/4hr and they were brought in all week for 4 hours with the part timers execpt on friday they were called in for 8hr and on 10/19 they switched to the 8hr and the company laid off two more who also took the 8hr call in It looks like 2 a week until they get to there magic number.

YRC unit irks union workers in Cincinnati
Kansas City Business Journal by Austin Alonzo, Reporter
Date: Friday, October 26, 2012, 2:44pm CDT - Last Modified: Friday, October 26, 2012, 3:40pm CDT
Austin Alonzo
Reporter- Kansas City Business Journal
Email *|*@aalonzoKCBJ *|*Construction coverage *|*Engineering coverage
A YRC Worldwide Inc. unit is drawing the ire of union workers in Cincinnati, who claim USF Holland laid off four union drivers and retained part-time, non-union labor to work in their place.
In a letter distributed to members of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters Local Union No. 100, Local President Butch Lewis wrote that USF Holland is employing “casuals” to work the docks in four-hour shifts for $12 to $14 an hour in violation of labor agreements between the company and the union.
Local No. 100 wants USF Holland to bring in union labor for an eight-hour shift before using supplemental, non-union labor, Lewis wrote in the letter, dated Wednesday. The local won’t strike, he said, but it’s going to file a grievance with the company.
“We’re going through the grievance machinery,” Lewis said. “If we’re right, we’re right; we’re wrong, we’re wrong.”
A YRC spokeswoman declined to comment.
The trucking giant (Nasdaq: YRCW) is based in Overland Park.
Austin reports about construction, engineering and architecture.

USF Holland Inc.* *
YRC Worldwide Inc.* *
Relevant Industries

When the Union started to cave into the company with all of these concessions and work rules, the company knew that they had everyone on their heals. The Union delayed grievances for month after month, and sometimes up to a year because they didn't want to challenge the "struggling" company and bring on any "extra" hardship. Well, caving in has come to fruition. This is the results of everyone "just being happy to have a job". We shouldn't be surprised. So don't worry.......be happy.

At CI they work 6 to 8 part timers a night it is bs and the union is not standing up for us what is the purpose of having a union if they don't back us this whole thing is bs the union could of pushed back at the company when the lay offs started but instead they file grevience and now there has been 6 of us laid off and it won't even be heard until 12-12-12 it is unfair and I am loosing faith in our union leaders quit being scared and stand up for us everybody has given up enough STAND UP AND FIGHT FOR THE UNION MEMBERS AND QUIT LAYING DOWN ON THE JOB THAT WE THE UNION MEMBERS HAVE TRUSTED YOU TO DO

I hate to be the one that says "I told you so", but I will say it anyway. When the language came out with the part time language in it, several of us warned the members that the Company put it in for a reason......and that reason was because they intended on using it. Nobody wanted to listen because they were too selfish to care about the lower guys that would get hurt by this language. Now the Company is exercising their right to use it. So get used to it. The funny part is that those same "yes" men who weren't concerned about the lower seniority guys and accepted this crap, STILL are NOT concerned about you lower guys. They don't care if you get laid off as long as they are livin' large.

At CI they work 6 to 8 part timers a night it is bs and the union is not standing up for us what is the purpose of having a union if they don't back us this whole thing is bs the union could of pushed back at the company when the lay offs started but instead they file grevience and now there has been 6 of us laid off and it won't even be heard until 12-12-12 it is unfair and I am loosing faith in our union leaders quit being scared and stand up for us everybody has given up enough STAND UP AND FIGHT FOR THE UNION MEMBERS AND QUIT LAYING DOWN ON THE JOB THAT WE THE UNION MEMBERS HAVE TRUSTED YOU TO DO

They tried this in Milwaukee and we put a stop to it immediately. The company fought for about 3 days and when they realized they were about to be hit with a strike notice, they brought the full time guys back. Now we have ZERO city laid off and went from 20 part-timers to 2. It never went to a hearing. You need to flood your BA with calls and if that doesn't work, start going up the chain.

The local 100 told us at CI that they were instructed to go through the grevience process and it will be heard in Chicago on December 12th and they were not to confident about winning I just believe we have a weak local and they did not threaten a 72 hour notice at all weak weak weak

Remember Bubba, We have the BEST UNION the COMPANY can buy! They herd and channel us to keep the flack down, maybe pay a little grievance from time to time, but the IBT DOES NOT have OUR BEST interests at heart. Some of these die hard knucklehead "Brothers & Sisters" we have, go the extra "Company Mile" to slit our throats, doing restarts and ratting out other brothers thinking they will gain some "position" with the company. I've seen and heard this with my own eyes and ears. I just remind myself that these type of people continue to exist BECAUSE it's simply ILLEGAL to put them out of their fricking misery!

Mou allows them to work part timers. If those that are laid off want part time work they can take it otherwise it goes to the casuals.

Four Hour Guaranteed Local Cartage Employee: The parties recognize the need for the Employers to cre- ate job opportunities and efficient operations during this period of financial restructuring and recession. For these reasons, there is established a four hour guarantee local cartage employee classification. This local cartage classification will enhance the Employers’ ability to compete and provide work for the substantial num- ber of laid-off employees. The four hour guaranteed local cartage worker shall have no impact on regular straight time work opportunities of active fulltime employees, unassigned and /or 10%’ers or shapes as defined by the 2008-13 NMFA and Supplemental Agreements.
Work performed by this new classification shall be offered daily first to laid off local cartage workers. The four hour guaranteed local cartage classification shall be paid the applicable fulltime rate of pay minus the wage reduction (15%). Pension and health & welfare benefits shall be paid consistent with those for regular employ- ees, but laid-off four (4) hour employees shall have contributions paid for hours rather than days worked. In the event that employees in this classification work more than 6 hours, they shall be guaranteed 8 hours. There will be no back-to-back 4 hour shifts or 4 hour overlapping shifts. Laid-off employees may be started within bids at their respective domicile locations.
At each terminal, the number of workers in this four hour guaranteed local cartage classification shall be limit- ed to 10% of the active city cartage seniority roster with a minimum of two (2) positions. It is a violation of this provision for the Employer to lay-off fulltime employees in order to convert them to four hour guaranteed local cartage employees. No regular fulltime active or inactive employee may be forced to work as a four hour guaranteed local cartage worker. The use of the four hour guaranteed local cartage employees will not nega- tively impact the guarantees of regular fulltime employees. In the event that laid-off employees do not accept four hour work opportunities or no laid-off employees are available, the Supplement shall apply. Replacement of fulltime regular employees or an 8 hour vacancy will be filled in accordance with the Supplement.

Bubba this is all about interpretation,, we the working or laid off members interpret it one way, and ironiclly the union (that we pay dues to) and the company interpret it another. We as memebers have a choice, fight until the ship goes down, or just say ok with whatever the elected company officials say.. Chances are you wont get enough people to stand together for whats right. I asked our dues office the same question when I got laid off if they were on our side or the companies,, the man told me that I was asking a dumb question, have to admit it was a dumb question, especially since theres elected Teamster officials on the YRC Board of Directors.

KK help us out with a direct interpretation. Our situation in Memphis (667) in reguard to the new regime has changed and any of your knowledge on this lay-off policy is appreciated.Griz

"It is a violation of this provision for the Employer to lay-off fulltime employees in order to convert them to four hour guaranteed local cartage employees."
This is exactly what they did in Milwaukee. Work load never changed, partimers never missed a beat. They then laid off 10 drivers and made them 4 hour part-time cartage employees on Monday. They were recalled by Friday morning. The IBT had our back on this and were ready to serve notice. Keep track of all hours worked by part timers, bill counts, tonnage, overtime hours worked, etc. If there is one purpose the Part timers serve it is to keep the fulltimers working, they CANNOT lay off while the part timers are working! Doesn't hurt to make sure everyone is very safe on the dock as well.