SAIA | Layoffs!!

It may be hard for you to understand. But something's are true whether you believe them or not. BTW ... I love your name.
I am unsure what it is you think I do not understand, though I have a feeling you did not fully comprehend what I had written, or only read the first few words. Trains do suck ass, trucks get the job done. I've never seen a train deliver to a mall or someone's house.

Funny some big management names were let go. As far as I'm concerned from what I've seen in dock workers loading trailers they look like crap. Not all but some. They make almost as much as drivers do. Sorry I don't think they care as much as they should for the money they make. When a driver can work a dock and drive why not use that to a companies benefit?

My point, and pay attention here VirginiaTech, is that layoffs usually affect the front line employees, not sales, middle management, etc. I would bet my next check that if any one of you were part of this layoff, you would be singing a different tune. It's irritating that management types so often get a pass and are never looked at as part of the overall problem. So freight volume is down...and Saia punishes drivers and dock workers? How about get rid of sales people, regional sales people, or whomever else is responsible for putting the freight on the trucks.
Everyone is a part of this. Sales? .... Regional? .... Why do you assume they are not? If your not doing your job then you will be looked at. Period.

Get rid of the garbage! Long over due. We could use these people at other locations to help us out. Maybe it's the crappy employees who bring down the good ones with their "whiners get what you want attitude" quite honestly its sad people lost their jobs , but perhaps they should watch the social media end of it. Start with the one's who bash the hell out of us and still get away with it! Just saying
As I had said in my post, if there was continual follow through on policies already in place, we wouldn't have to do a mass layoff of dead weight, and we would have a great team. Totally agree with you!

Okay runawaytrain, #1, I doubt you would gladly accept a layoff without any I'll will. Losing a job is comparable to a death, there are the same emotions involved. I understand that there are times companies must purge the dead weight. This purge can be accomplished throughout the year, during the normal course of business. That would be stating policies, guidelines, and goals, then actually following up and enforcing said policies. Also, there was not any attempt to find a way to improve there practices. Example, having a Linehaul driver take empties west to the next terminal when there are two loaded trailers going west past that terminal that sit. Why not move that freight farther down the road? Example #2, train dock workers how to properly load outbound freight using proper securement practices, (trained by people who have never physically loaded a trailer) yet no follow up in making sure they are actually loading the proper way. Up until 2 months ago, Saia was hiring like crazy, now a mass layoff? Yes, there is more to the story, and there is more to your story too. You don't sound like an active driver, more like current management. Just my observation.
No .... I pretty much get. Your name pretty much says it all. It was personal before you made your first post.

Yea Saia is really looking like a winning team right now ... The only company laying ppl off :17113:
Yeah and maybe they're looking to buy a east coast company? Free up some cash sothe people who do give a damn can stand a fighting chance instead of being dragged down by clock whores and anchors that seem to be drowning us quicker than the titanic. Imagine if they would give it their all? We could be a even better company than we currently are

Yea Saia is really looking like a winning team right now ... The only company laying ppl off :17113:
I look at it this way. It's like pruning a tree of it's dead limbs. If you don't it will affect the trees overall health. Better to prune the tree of dead limbs and even some healthy ones if it will make the tree stronger. Better to lose some limbs than to lose the whole tree.

The bad thing about layoffs is, and this is based on the mass layoff Saia did 5 years ago, is they didn't go by performance. Just started at the bottom and cut away. It was wrong then and it's wrong now. But, Saia is hamstrung because if they did it any other way, they'd spend millions in litigation for wrongful termination, discrimination, etc... We all get it, business fluctuates. Just bad business and lack of planning that got them into this position AGAIN.

No .... I pretty much get. Your name pretty much says it all. It was personal before you made your first post.
Yes it was, I wouldn't even think about saying how I would be okay if I lost my job, I wouldn't say how I wouldn't feel ill will towards the company. That is a slap in the face to those that did lose there jobs. I actually feel that the dead weight needs to go, that includes hourly and salaried. Sorry, if you are part of a solution, and you are not helping the company to grow, then its time to go. You can tell your tale however you want, I for one go in and give it 120% everyday, I believe the bs about how we are going to do this and how we are going to be best in class. I for one would be very upset after my dedication to the company of I lost my job. I too have a clean CDL, zero points on my CSA, and have over a million safe miles with Saia alone. I have never had a ticket or accident in 21 years of driving, I have never had a time loss injury, and show up everyday I am scheduled. Sure, I wouldn't have a problem finding another job, but I would rather stay where I am at and see us grow into the future.

My point, and pay attention here VirginiaTech, is that layoffs usually affect the front line employees, not sales, middle management, etc. I would bet my next check that if any one of you were part of this layoff, you would be singing a different tune. It's irritating that management types so often get a pass and are never looked at as part of the overall problem. So freight volume is down...and Saia punishes drivers and dock workers? How about get rid of sales people, regional sales people, or whomever else is responsible for putting the freight on the trucks.

Saia owes me nothing. Except to pay me for the miles I've already ran.

If the boss decides he doesn't need me to work today, tomorrow, or the for see able future I will shake his hand and tell him thanks for the opportunity.
Take a deep breath....and go find another job. (Maybe 2 jobs if that's what it takes)

If I had all the answers I would go buy a couple trucks......Get a couple Big Bucks to drive them and sit back and cash checks all day. But I don't have the answers so I'm not going to try and tell Mr. O'dell how to run this company.

There are alot of companies that do layoffs based on seniority. I am glad to work for one that takes performance into consideration.

Yes it was, I wouldn't even think about saying how I would be okay if I lost my job, I wouldn't say how I wouldn't feel ill will towards the company. That is a slap in the face to those that did lose there jobs. I actually feel that the dead weight needs to go, that includes hourly and salaried. Sorry, if you are part of a solution, and you are not helping the company to grow, then its time to go. You can tell your tale however you want, I for one go in and give it 120% everyday, I believe the bs about how we are going to do this and how we are going to be best in class. I for one would be very upset after my dedication to the company of I lost my job. I too have a clean CDL, zero points on my CSA, and have over a million safe miles with Saia alone. I have never had a ticket or accident in 21 years of driving, I have never had a time loss injury, and show up everyday I am scheduled. Sure, I wouldn't have a problem finding another job, but I would rather stay where I am at and see us grow into the future.
Look, I'm not saying it's OK for people to lose their jobs. I'm just saying that if I was let go it wouldn't bother me. That's just me. I can understand why people would be upset. I just wouldn't be. I'm 60 years old and could retire right now if I wanted to. It's not a slap in the face to anyone. I guess my whole point would be is that if it happened then just accept it and move on. Getting pissed off won't change anything.

Saia owes me nothing. Except to pay me for the miles I've already ran.

If the boss decides he doesn't need me to work today, tomorrow, or the for see able future I will shake his hand and tell him thanks for the opportunity.
Take a deep breath....and go find another job. (Maybe 2 jobs if that's what it takes)

If I had all the answers I would go buy a couple trucks......Get a couple Big Bucks to drive them and sit back and cash checks all day. But I don't have the answers so I'm not going to try and tell Mr. O'dell how to run this company.

There are alot of companies that do layoffs based on seniority. I am glad to work for one that takes performance into consideration.
Damn your post is excellent. I should have wrote it. They get no better than this.

The bad thing about layoffs is, and this is based on the mass layoff Saia did 5 years ago, is they didn't go by performance. Just started at the bottom and cut away. It was wrong then and it's wrong now. But, Saia is hamstrung because if they did it any other way, they'd spend millions in litigation for wrongful termination, discrimination, etc... We all get it, business fluctuates. Just bad business and lack of planning that got them into this position AGAIN.
This is just wrong. And I won't comment any further on it. Your perception of SAIA cant be changed and it would be pointless to try and change it.

This is just wrong. And I won't comment any further on it. Your perception of SAIA cant be changed and it would be pointless to try and change it.
Business is business! If that means trimming the fat well then if the fat would start working harder it would be called muscle! We all know muscle is better than fat! Fat is bad and jiggles & eventually will slow you down if not kill you.

Muscle makes you stronger, quicker , and faster. It's a fact!

Look, I'm not saying it's OK for people to lose their jobs. I'm just saying that if I was let go it wouldn't bother me. That's just me. I can understand why people would be upset. I just wouldn't be. I'm 60 years old and could retire right now if I wanted to. It's not a slap in the face to anyone. I guess my whole point would be is that if it happened then just accept it and move on. Getting pissed off won't change anything.
You're right, getting pissed wouldn't solve anything, one must pull up there boot straps and move forward. If you are in a position to where you can retire, then I understand how it may not bother you, but unfortunately not many are in that position.

Muscle makes you stronger, quicker , and faster. It's a fact!
This is true ..... But as a 60 year old man I do have a little gut. (not fat) But I can still stay up with the young bucks. I try and work smarter not harder. Funny thing is that some of the younger guys are actually not as fast as the older guys. It's the tortoise and hare story I suppose. They bust their ass to catch up then stop and take a nap (so to speak) while the old timers just creep along at a steady pace and win the race.

So here it is, we've gone too long letting some "dictate" how much work they are going to do, and we've let those of higher seniority crap on those lower on the list. Sorry, I don't pay dues, and we all put our pants on the same way. I do what I am asked, my check doesn't bounce each week, and I am home every night. I have no problem with getting rid of those that just want to come to work and do sub par while everyone else has to work harder to make up for them. I also have no problem letting management go if they are slacking in there job and letting ::shit:: slide.