ABF | Layoffs

If you get laid off in my fund and don't work at all your covered for six months.You need to maintain 150 hours in a month or 250 hours in two months to maintain your coverage.Also if you only work 3 punches per pay period,the company must make 40 hours in contributions to the fund providing your available for work on the 4th and 5th day other wise you break your 40 hour guarantee.

Do they allow guys in any of your terminals bid while on layoff status? I know when guys are out on comp their not allowed to.We had a guy make the list and was put on layoff status immediately and told he would be called as work became available! They wanted two men on layoff but because of one on comp,one was called back and that's why we had to rebid.

Do they allow guys in any of your terminals bid while on layoff status? I know when guys are out on comp their not allowed to.
There is no contract language that directly addresses this so the company gets to do what they want. I would say that a guy on layoff should not get to bid but one on comp should unless it is certain that he will be off long term.

There is no contract language that directly addresses this so the company gets to do what they want. I would say that a guy on layoff should not get to bid but one on comp should unless it is certain that he will be off long term.
Usually if there is no tentative return date on comp,then they don't bid as the case in my guy.The problem is if this guy was allowed to bid on lay off status he would end up with the pm inbound bid which nobody wants and has to be covered no matter how slow it is.So that means they would have to layoff the next man on days and offer it to him to cover that bid.Currtenly the bottom man is able to hold that bid because of the one man out on comp.I brought this to the B.A.s attention and he checked with his sources and was told they are allowed to do that! That was last week.Now he told me as of Yesterday that he's not so sure and he thinks if there's 20 men on the list then there should be 20 bids excluding people on comp.I disagree!

The problem is if this guy was allowed to bid on lay off status he would end up with the pm inbound bid which nobody wants and has to be covered no matter how slow it is.
Don't you have on call guys? 10% ers as we call them (10% of the list on call) or shapes as they are called up north.

Are any terminals experiencing layoffs yet? If so how many?
As of today 086(atl) none in the city, 186 on the board. None on the road, but the bottem 10-15 are slow getting out. The chesters fried chicken joint(aka loves truck stop-PT DRIVERS) ON 086 Yard is dying off. freight is slow, but then again, all the other carriers are to. several non union carriers have cut drivers back to 8 hr days with some layoffs. All our casuals are now friday ,saturday and sunday only- usually working them 5 1/2 instead of 8

Got my letter mid September... Got 2 full weeks after that, two 20 hour weeks, aa 35 hour week and then a 51 hour week last week. In the mean time, I applied at UPS package for the seasonal Feeder gig and started there this past Monday... Wait and see, like everything else... Who knows where the cards will fall...

I've heard the XM advertisements for UPS... They are advertising full-time seasonal, do they offer benefits with that?

I've heard the XM advertisements for UPS... They are advertising full-time seasonal, do they offer benefits with that?

Yes they do, Brother. I think after 30 days.

Canary, I am pretty sure you have to make seniority in order to get benefits... FT seasonals can be used until January 15th this year then we get the boot, unless all of the stars are lined up, I survive a lightening strike, etc., and they decide to keep me as a FT permanent... It will take an act of God but stranger things have happened. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think they will offer benefits with such a short work period, November thru mid January...

Canary, I am pretty sure you have to make seniority in order to get benefits... FT seasonals can be used until January 15th this year then we get the boot, unless all of the stars are lined up, I survive a lightening strike, etc., and they decide to keep me as a FT permanent... It will take an act of God but stranger things have happened. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think they will offer benefits with such a short work period, November thru mid January...
Well,......you may be right. I do know that they give part-timers in the building benefits after 30 days. One of my sons worked there during college. I would think, especially in light of the provisions of the Affordable Care Act, that they would give the same to seasonal feeder drivers,..........but I am presuming. Of course we all know there are different provisions in different parts of the country. I'll ask the B.A. today and try to find out.

But,.....it sounds like you're doing the seasonal work. If so, then you would know far better than me. And I wish you luck on getting full time with them! I know it's a real process, but we'll worth it in the end. Our casual is doing that now, since we're so slow. I think this is his third year in trying to get on full time.