Yellow | 'Lazy Teamsters'

wild deuce

TB Veteran
Credits
I was working the dock in CVE (Cleveland, Ohio) Yellow (of YRC.INC) this evening and was told by one of 'my outstanding' (non union) supervisors that 'Teamsters' are 'lazy'. I detect a problem, here. Do you? Let's wake up and smell the coffee, boys. You can catch me on PM...if you got guts enough.:popcorn::smilie_132:

I was working the dock in CVE (Cleveland, Ohio) Yellow (of YRC.INC) this evening and was told by one of 'my outstanding' (non union) supervisors that 'Teamsters' are 'lazy'. I detect a problem, here. Do you? Let's wake up and smell the coffee, boys. You can catch me on PM...if you got guts enough.:popcorn::smilie_132:

The way things are, sooner or later we will ALL be out of jobs. YRC is not going to last much longer. Having nothing to lose I would've punched him in the mouth so he could Sh*T his teeth. That'd teach em!:Flame-On:

Punching him may make someone a hero for maybe 5 minutes. Good luck finding another job in this business.

Quite frankly, some teamsters are lazy. I've been doing this for 21 years. 7 terminals, 3 companies. But with Yellow it's more than being lazy. It's an "I don't care attitude" that the employees have because Yellow could care less about us.

It's a combination of lazy and apathy. The problem as I see it is most supervisors have never moved freight and therefore can't "see" what needs to be done. Many dockworkers will take advantage and do as little as possible. Point This morning a fellow dockworker was given a bill to finish that a UE guy had started. It entailed running 10 skids which the UE guy had run 1 or 2 stacks into a non-velocity bay, as he was not allowed to load it. Well the regular just continued to stack them in the bay. The supervisor sees the freight and wonders why would a regular guy bay it there instead of loading it? He asks and the guy says "I was just finishing someone else job". Supervisor says "oh" and leaves it at that. Why did the regular guy not just run the freight? He'll wonder when he's laid off after the Kernersville guys come in.

Every company in the world has LAZY people. Its just Teamster companys can't really do anything about haveing LAZY people. What are you going to do, write him a letter? Please, some people make it an art form on how to get away with doing nothing. As a former Teamster, turned "Bad guy management" I have learned a few things to get the LAZY guys to do a little more, but thats all I can do. If they want to be LAZY then they will be LAZY. All any of us that care can do is do our job to the best of our ability. The saying goes you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink!

Every company in the world has LAZY people. Its just Teamster companys can't really do anything about haveing LAZY people. What are you going to do, write him a letter? Please, some people make it an art form on how to get away with doing nothing. As a former Teamster, turned "Bad guy management" I have learned a few things to get the LAZY guys to do a little more, but thats all I can do. If they want to be LAZY then they will be LAZY. All any of us that care can do is do our job to the best of our ability. The saying goes you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink!

very good post ! There are lazy people at all jobs, not just Union, but any job out there... It is frustrating for the "hard working people". And even in Non-union jobs, there isn;t anything you can do about it, cuz they got too many walnut plaques over the years, or are related to the "boss", etc.... Things like this....

Lazy people are EVERYWHERE!

very good post ! There are lazy people at all jobs, not just Union, but any job out there... It is frustrating for the "hard working people". And even in Non-union jobs, there isn;t anything you can do about it, cuz they got too many walnut plaques over the years, or are related to the "boss", etc.... Things like this....

Lazy people are EVERYWHERE!

Hey Blue, How do you get away with these posts in the shop your in. Either your 100% correct about the higher-ups OR I'll leave it at that. More power to you. BTW Thanx for the info.:popcorn:

Lazy

Our BOM has taken a crew that had won "best in the west" to one of the lowest producing terminals in the west if not the entire system. The workers aren't lazy. They won't work for that *******. In comes a new TM who tells the BOM to stay out of the way and we start winning awards again. Attitude reflects leadership....or lack of.

Quite frankly, some teamsters are lazy. I've been doing this for 21 years. 7 terminals, 3 companies. But with Yellow it's more than being lazy. It's an "I don't care attitude" that the employees have because Yellow could care less about us.

I can dig that, but as a former P&D driver it was our customers who were my real employers and I took good care of them, despite working for a lousy LTL company.

I can dig that, but as a former P&D driver it was our customers who were my real employers and I took good care of them, despite working for a lousy LTL company.

Good Post. The Customers need not Know what happens behind closed doors. Meaning whats going on back at the terminal. BTW we don't even deal with the people that route the freight anymore.

Our BOM has taken a crew that had won "best in the west" to one of the lowest producing terminals in the west if not the entire system. The workers aren't lazy. They won't work for that *******. In comes a new TM who tells the BOM to stay out of the way and we start winning awards again. Attitude reflects leadership....or lack of.

This too is very true... I am just glad I still have some men, me included, that are very frustrated, but still work each day to the best they can....

:smile1:
Hey Blue, How do you get away with these posts in the shop your in. Either your 100% correct about the higher-ups OR I'll leave it at that. More power to you. BTW Thanx for the info.:popcorn:

OOOPS! I was referirng to the Burger King manager where my daughter worked ! :biglaugh:

:shades:

(I just know I can..... )

you might say we are "The Defiant Ones" My boss is Tony Curtis, and I am Sidney Poitier.....

We are still at the point in the movie, in which we are still both chained together at the legs to survive.... we haven't gotten to that Train scene ending yet.... and don;t know if we ever will......

Good Post. The Customers need not Know what happens behind closed doors. Meaning whats going on back at the terminal. BTW we don't even deal with the people that route the freight anymore.

Bob, what do you mean, You don't even deal with the people that route the freight anymore? Send me a PM if you can't discuss it out loud...... I am curious to know about my shop as well..... as I know we are being seriously re-routed here....

It's a combination of lazy and apathy. The problem as I see it is most supervisors have never moved freight and therefore can't "see" what needs to be done. Many dockworkers will take advantage and do as little as possible. Point This morning a fellow dockworker was given a bill to finish that a UE guy had started. It entailed running 10 skids which the UE guy had run 1 or 2 stacks into a non-velocity bay, as he was not allowed to load it. Well the regular just continued to stack them in the bay. The supervisor sees the freight and wonders why would a regular guy bay it there instead of loading it? He asks and the guy says "I was just finishing someone else job". Supervisor says "oh" and leaves it at that. Why did the regular guy not just run the freight? He'll wonder when he's laid off after the Kernersville guys come in.
The way that I look at this is simple..... That is one weak supervisor. He does not possess the skills needed to be in a supervisor position. If he never challenged the employee for the inefficient movement of the freight, the supervisor should be fired. The efficient movement of freight is the supervisors responsibility. Since he does not have the onions to challenge an employee, he is worthless to the company. The employee will continue to do the same crap, because he was never challenged, and told to shape up. This is just another example of why we are in the trouble that we are in financially. I watch the same stuff go on every day.

Being lazy isn't in the contract.

I have never read where the contract states, that it is acceptable for us to be lazy. We are required to give them "a fair days work for a fair days pay". I know that everybody's idea of a fair days work differs. But, if management were to follow the proper "paper trail" for the bad eggs, they COULD get rid of them. There is a disciplinary procedure in place....It just never gets used. The problem with them disciplining anyone, is that the favoritism gets in the way. They can't do anything to the bad eggs, because their buddies violate the same rules. And it don't look good when they single out the people they don't like, while their buddies get away with the same thing. So, as a result, nobody is held accountable for anything. No matter how you look at.....there IS a cure to laziness. But, weak management people won't do their job.
I'm sure that there are some excellent management folks out there, that their employees don't mind working for. And I bet their terminal numbers reflect their management style.

We have guys at Roadway in KC with over 1000 letters for different infractions.......still working today.

Wow! Over 1,000 letters Now that's something to be proud of. :clap:

I guess that's keeping the fellas down at the hall (L 41) busy.

Ya know all kidding aside, not one of these companies hired 1 bad employee, they made every one of us :hysterical: