ABF | Line haul

Why can't they get any new line haul drivers,
They still drag their feet like they have been for the past 75 years is the main reason. I had a buddy apply last spring and it took them 4 months to get back to him. Background checks they told him. He got a job the week after he applied with them at ups package. The majority of linehaul drivers seem to be coming from that military program.

I don't disagree with Sacs but I don't believe ABF is the reason most people won't work for ABF. I think times are changing and technology has created better and easier jobs. There is also the the BASIC score kept by the FMCSA. Along with extreme traffic, distracted driving, and the chaotic work schedule (work days and nights and only off 10hrs and work 6 tours a week, working most weekend, etc).

The military program is called TMAP (Teamsters Military Assistance Program). But the last 18-20 drivers at our terminal came from the city or transferred in from other terminals. They have 2 seniority dates (a hire date and a transfer date).

Last edited:
They still drag their feet like they have been for the past 75 years is the main reason. I had a buddy apply last spring and it took them 4 months to get back to him. Background checks they told him. He got a job the week after he applied with them at ups package. The majority of linehaul drivers seem to be coming from that military program.
Same thing here with city drivers, everyone working tons of overtime TM says no one is applying & when we finally get a seasoned driver he by passes them & hires slugs that screw him every chance they get. This process has been repeated with the last 4 hires....

I don't disagree with Sacs but I don't believe ABF is the reason most people won't work for ABF. I think times are changing and technology has created better and easier jobs. There is also the the BASIC score kept by the FMCSA. Along with extreme traffic, distracted driving, and the chaotic work schedule (work days and nights and only off 10hrs and work 6 tours a week, working most weekend, etc).

The military program is called TMAP (Teamsters Military Assistance Program). But the last 18-20 drivers at our terminal came from the city or transferred in from other terminals. They have 2 seniority dates (a hire date and a transfer date).
I don't think the younger generation is willing to sacrifice home life and put up with working conditions like we did in past years.

I applied for an ABF linehaul position last month and never heard a peep other than my confirmation email. YRC has called twice in that same period and instructed me to call them when my hazmat is done (waiting on paperwork to take with me for the exam) so they can make me an offer.

I dunno if that provides any insight, but it's just my experience.

Ohio. I don't want to get too specific about anything yet.
Welcome to Truckingboards
Celebrate Dj Khaled GIF

Yes, and that could be the problem....
Definitely more of a lifestyle than just a job. I ran out of Dayton for a year but had to resign for some family issues that required me to be home. At that time I’d say it was a great job aside from the 24/7 deal but often contemplate seeing if I could get rehired. Made good money, benefits were great and felt I was always treated with respect.

I am a Abf road driver. Hard to get on, great money and benefits. Very demanding job, they expect you to be available all the time. Free insurance for you and family. Hiring process takes 6 to 8 weeks. Very little turn over.
I have been a road driver at ABF for 20 years and I can say that with seniority comes more freedom. The job is still very demanding but I have more choices and more time off. My point is........the longer you stay at ABF the less demanding the job gets.

I did my orientation on the 12th, been setting by the phone ever since waiting for a jump seat truck to get to Wichita. the weather has slowed things but i need to work too.
i have had 2 jump seat trucks on my wichita turn last week, was never told to leave one but to bring back to KC to be used. training a guy is new, used to give keys and say good luck.