ABF | Line haul

Hello I am currently a city driver... new hire ...
Forced to work the dock.....where is a good place to be a road driver out west....Portland isn’t too far away...anybody know the work rules of Portland....I’d rather die then work the dock

I can retire in 6 1/2 years at age 57 with about $3,500 a month & a lump sum of about $250k I can jump on my wife’s insurance (federal).... I’m serious thinking about going & find something else to do. Part time of course....
Just remember to make the bed every morning..... that way when someone asked if you did anything today, you can honestly say yes. Retirement is great, just took me 6 months to learn how to sleep at night !!!!

Forced to work the dock.....where is a good place to be a road driver out west....Portland isn’t too far away...anybody know the work rules of Portland....I’d rather die then work the dock
I understand that.....when I first got into ltl I also hated working the dock....after awhile it became second nature and now I don't mind it at all, especially if you work with some good guys.....I guess all I am saying is give it a chance it gets better....

I can retire in 6 1/2 years at age 57 with about $3,500 a month & a lump sum of about $250k I can jump on my wife’s insurance (federal).... I’m serious thinking about going & find something else to do. Part time of course....
That’s exactly what I did, GO. And...quoting an old ‘Loverboy’ song...lovin’ every minute of it!!

Are you on call 24/7 running line haul at abf?
This was my major gripe about ABF. And when you're a rookie, God forbid you forget to burn up all your hours. Central dispatch needs you to go somewhere else before you can get home on tour seven! And you've got the hours to do it! They checked! Lol

I don't know how I would burn up enough hours now that they have electronic log books. My logbook pen was made out of lead.

I used to run into that terminal. Portland runs the I-5 corridor. Eugene, Tacoma, Seattle, Mt Vernon and Vancouver BC. I think they have a run that does a meet in The Dalles as well. Used to be layovers but they changed the operation out here to turns I believe. Not 100 percent sure as it’s been a few years since I’ve worked there. No sleepers anymore though. I do know that. I think they do a relay around Canyonville now.

I used to run into that terminal. Portland runs the I-5 corridor. Eugene, Tacoma, Seattle, Mt Vernon and Vancouver BC. I think they have a run that does a meet in The Dalles as well. Used to be layovers but they changed the operation out here to turns I believe. Not 100 percent sure as it’s been a few years since I’ve worked there. No sleepers anymore though. I do know that. I think they do a relay around Canyonville now.
No more canyonville. Calif drivers lay in Eugene now, so they do double Eugene turns with triples out of Portland now. Portland has a small seniority board, but they may not be hiring right now. Best to call and check. Ask for the safety supervisor Dale Rutledge. He'll know. He has the whole region. He'll know where they may need a driver in the Pacific NW. He handles Salt Lake City. Pendleton, Portland and Spokane. If they have an opening, he would have to move himself and go to the bottom of the board. He could keep his seniority for vacation and bidding after 1yr. Pendleton or SLC is probably his best bet.

I have been a road driver at ABF for 20 years and I can say that with seniority comes more freedom. The job is still very demanding but I have more choices and more time off. My point is........the longer you stay at ABF the less demanding the job gets.
I agree totally. 24yrs on the road 5 day premium bid.5 wks. Vacation.

I agree totally. 24yrs on the road 5 day premium bid.5 wks. Vacation.
Yeah, I just didn't have the patience for that. I did my 5 years of 24/7 on call, and that was it. Lol

I probably wouldn't have been so mad, except the wait to get a bid was 2 years, and then the 2013 contract lowered the amount of freight that had to be set aside for bids, increasing the threshold to five years.

Felt like kind of a hollow victory after all that nonsense. Lol I'm out.

No more canyonville. Calif drivers lay in Eugene now, so they do double Eugene turns with triples out of Portland now. Portland has a small seniority board, but they may not be hiring right now. Best to call and check. Ask for the safety supervisor Dale Rutledge. He'll know. He has the whole region. He'll know where they may need a driver in the Pacific NW. He handles Salt Lake City. Pendleton, Portland and Spokane. If they have an opening, he would have to move himself and go to the bottom of the board. He could keep his seniority for vacation and bidding after 1yr. Pendleton or SLC is probably his best bet.
I am hearing there are a lot of problems at Seattle recently. Like half of the drivers have quit. Do you have any contacts in Seattle that can say what is going on there?