ABF | Line haul

i have had 2 jump seat trucks on my wichita turn last week, was never told to leave one but to bring back to KC to be used. training a guy is new, used to give keys and say good luck.

When I hired on at Roadway in the 70's, I filled out the application, did a road test, went out on my first road trip the next day. I feel for the young guys jumping through these hoops today.

When I hired on at Roadway in the 70's, I filled out the application, did a road test, went out on my first road trip the next day. I feel for the young guys jumping through these hoops today.

When I first drove TT in 1966 I fudged the truth and said I had driven TT before (never did), and the "road test" was just driving around the yard. First time out on the street (after a couple of times switching in the yard) was totally on my own. The good old days!! :6788:

When I first drove TT in 1966 I fudged the truth and said I had driven TT before (never did), and the "road test" was just driving around the yard. First time out on the street (after a couple of times switching in the yard) was totally on my own. The good old days!! :6788:
I was stationed in Panama from 76-79. somewhere in there, is when they changed the license's. Pa sent a form and my parents forwarded it to me. Asked to check off everything I drive, I did all but buses( the thought of a bus load of drunks and or kids, NFW lol).

I ran my first trip the same night with a senior driver riding shotgun, we slip seated with an Atl driver.
A 262 mile turn.

Welcome to Truckingboards
Celebrate Dj Khaled GIF
Hard recognizing Big Dave without the, Hat.

I worked the dock at Johnson Motor Lines and was tired of working the midnight shift. My steward told me jump into a truck and practice backing up on your lunch hour. I told him I had never driven a stick shift before in my life. He jumped into a tractor with me for an hour during lunch and 3 days later a safety man from Charlotte came up to NJ to give me a road test. I passed and the next day I was on the road.

I worked the dock at Johnson Motor Lines and was tired of working the midnight shift. My steward told me jump into a truck and practice backing up on your lunch hour. I told him I had never driven a stick shift before in my life. He jumped into a tractor with me for an hour during lunch and 3 days later a safety man from Charlotte came up to NJ to give me a road test. I passed and the next day I was on the road.

That safety man wasn't Seabreeze moonlighting was it?

I had a good friend ran a bid from Charl to Calhoun Ga
When he got to Calhoun, he bobtailed from the terminal to the motel, en route, he stopped and had a beer or 10, wrecked before he made it to the motel.
That cost him a 25 yr career at Lazy J.

I had a good friend ran a bid from Charl to Calhoun Ga
When he got to Calhoun, he bobtailed from the terminal to the motel, en route, he stopped and had a beer or 10, wrecked before he made it to the motel.
That cost him a 25 yr career at Lazy J.
well it should have if he wanted to drink beer he should have drove to the motel called a cab to take him back to the bar then called him the cab to take him back to the motel

I applied last week or so. Steps are processing fast and sounds like I may be starting 7-10 days from initial application. They may just be extra short at my location. 18 year driver with 4 in LTL, clean MVR. Hello all!
I still have heart damage from walking past an air start in a quiet rest area 20 years ago , when i was by the fuel tank he let her rip

Ya the job application was a page torn out of a paper tablet , i also fudged like you say and my first load was to some factory and i was taking so many attempts to back into the dock that another driver put it in the dock for me , i said gee mister truckers sure are nice and he said " i aint nice kid i gotta get the heck out of here and your blockin me"

i have had 2 jump seat trucks on my wichita turn last week, was never told to leave one but to bring back to KC to be used. training a guy is new, used to give keys and say good luck.
It's really sad. There used to be a certain pride in doing this job that not everyone could handle. Couldn't put it in the bank, but it was real, like making the team. You had your assigned position, and you went out and did it and respected the others on the team that did theirs as well. That's why they called it the Brotherhood of Teamsters, I guess. So what do we call it now? The Grabasstic Accumulation of Unqualified Truck Herders and Dock Monkeys of America?

Last edited:
It's really sad. There used to be a certain pride in doing this job that not everyone could handle. Couldn't put it in the bank, but it was real, like making the team. You had your assigned position, and you went out and did it and respected the others on the team that did theirs as well. That's why they called it the Brotherhood of Teamsters, I guess. So what do we call it now? The Grabasstic Accumulation of Unqualified Truck Herders and Dock Monkeys of America?
It’s amazing to see what they are hiring now. When I was hired I had to jump through hoops. I brought 14 years of city experience along with a perfect driving record, still was on probation for about 5 months & had to wait 2 years to get to full rate....Now up to 10k sign on bonus...wtf

It’s amazing to see what they are hiring now. When I was hired I had to jump through hoops. I brought 14 years of city experience along with a perfect driving record, still was on probation for about 5 months & had to wait 2 years to get to full rate....Now up to 10k sign on bonus...wtf
That's everywhere, there's not many getting into trucking like they use to, if we had a union to push for better pay and benefits maybe more would get into trucking.

That's everywhere, there's not many getting into trucking like they use to, if we had a union to push for better pay and benefits maybe more would get into trucking.
I can retire in 6 1/2 years at age 57 with about $3,500 a month & a lump sum of about $250k I can jump on my wife’s insurance (federal).... I’m serious thinking about going & find something else to do. Part time of course....

I can retire in 6 1/2 years at age 57 with about $3,500 a month & a lump sum of about $250k I can jump on my wife’s insurance (federal).... I’m serious thinking about going & find something else to do. Part time of course....
Good luck on that, I guess I have a decent part-time job.
I can go all day long doing absolutely nothing.
Trouble is, I never know when I'm finished.