ABF | Line haul

I am hearing there are a lot of problems at Seattle recently. Like half of the drivers have quit. Do you have any contacts in Seattle that can say what is going on there?
There are no linehaul drivers in Seattle. That is handled by Pendleton and Portland drivers. Don't know about city drivers. In Seattle soon you will be able to flip burgers and make what a teamster makes, so why bust your butt and put up with abusive supervisors? But Teamsters are breaking the country! Riiight! Hired a journeyman plumber lately? $165.00/hr! But this was all by design. It started in 1980 with the democrat-sponsered Trucking Derugulation Bill signed by Carter. I remember him saying " We estimate this will save the American consumer 4 billion dollars a year" just like it was yesterday. What he apparently didn't want to discuss was the devastation and dislocation it caused to an industry made up largely of Teamsters who believed that democrats had their backs. They are still trying to sell that BS. It took them 41 years, but they got 'er done! I always said we were orphaned by the political swamp. We made too much to be democrats and not enough to be republicans.

Last edited:
You might want to read the FXF and XPO forums about health insurance before comparing benefits to ABF's benefits. Big difference.
And while we are arguing about co-pays and deductibles and cadillac health-care plans as part of our wage and benefit packages, 13 million illegals will be getting FREE healthcare thanks to our former friends in the democratic party.

They still drag their feet like they have been for the past 75 years is the main reason. I had a buddy apply last spring and it took them 4 months to get back to him. Background checks they told him. He got a job the week after he applied with them at ups package. The majority of linehaul drivers seem to be coming from that military program.
I Apply for City and I'm going on my 3rd week waiting on them. everything is done, background and all, just waiting on them. smh.

There are no linehaul drivers in Seattle. That is handled by Pendleton and Portland drivers. Don't know about city drivers. In Seattle soon you will be able to flip burgers and make what a teamster makes, so why bust your butt and put up with abusive supervisors? But Teamsters are breaking the country! Riiight! Hired a journeyman plumber lately? $165.00/hr! But this was all by design. It started in 1980 with the democrat-sponsered Trucking Derugulation Bill signed by Carter. I remember him saying " We estimate this will save the American consumer 4 billion dollars a year" just like it was yesterday. What he apparently didn't want to discuss was the devastation and dislocation it caused to an industry made up largely of Teamsters who believed that democrats had their backs. They are still trying to sell that BS. It took them 41 years, but they got 'er done! I always said we were orphaned by the political swamp. We made too much to be democrats and not enough to be republicans.
Another driver told me it was Spokane, Washington not Seattle. They had six city drivers. Two retired, two found other employment and one gave two weeks notice leaving one driver.

Another driver told me it was Spokane, Washington not Seattle. They had six city drivers. Two retired, two found other employment and one gave two weeks notice leaving one driver.
Spokane has their city drivers on a 40 hr max workweek with no overtime, so that may be a factor in guys moving on. Hard to make a living @ $900.00/week for a new hire. They are paying a $7000.00 sign on bonus, but not to ABF transfers. Too bad. Scott, the TM is the nicest guy in the world to work for. They fought to get this through on the contract. Now it appears to be biting them in the butt. WOW! Who knew? Master Freight was once the envy of the industry. Now it's the laughingstock. I wonder what James R Hoffa would think of what he fought to build now? I don't think their ex-military driver training is working too well either. They had one of their graduates blow a chain up near Cle Elum Wa on I-90 last winter and run the broken chain clear to the yard in Seattle with the broken cross chain banging against the fuel tank, leaking fuel all the way. Then to make matters worse, while the truck was sitting in the yard, the fueler mistook it for a city tractor and filled it up. They had a lake of diesel fuel under it the next morning. But I'm sure we don't see the big picture here....

Last edited:
Spokane has their city drivers on a 40 hr max workweek with no overtime, so that may be a factor in guys moving on. Hard to make a living @ $900.00/week for a new hire. They are paying a $7000.00 sign on bonus, but not to ABF transfers. Too bad. Scott, the TM is the nicest guy in the world to work for. They fought to get this through on the contract. Now it appears to be biting them in the butt. WOW! Who knew?
Wish I only had to work 40 a week......